Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Are you willing to give your life for privacy

nsa edward snowden secrets whistleblower freedom

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be willing to give your life for the privacy of others? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

In terms of what we now know the NSA is doing, would you be willing to give your life for the privacy of others?

1. Yes (22 votes [75.86%])

Percentage of vote: 75.86%

2. No (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

3. I'm afraid to answer this question for fear of becoming a target of the Justice Department (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Don't like occupier types myself. Not picking either side in that. We have more choices than Tea Party and Occupy.

#92    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

Yes you could still vote Communist.  I think (someone tell me if I'm wrong) the party still exists in the States.

#93    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 14 June 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

Don't like occupier types myself. Not picking either side in that. We have more choices than Tea Party and Occupy.

Why dont you enlighten us on all the good things he has done for this nation that has you so entrenched in his corner. And before you bother to bring up how many Americans are in love with him based on his 50%+ popular vote, take a good hard look at the county maps across this nation.
Obama won virtually EVERY single county in every single state where massive groups of people were all compacted into urban areas.
Obama won the welfare Vote is what he won.
My state, a red state, lost each of the counties where we have the highest welfare payouts.
Obama is President simply because he gives things to people.
GOP doesnt stand a chance as long as they continue to preach nasty things like Personal responsibility and a good work ethic.
Now, about those "Good" things......

Edited by Saru, 15 June 2013 - 03:33 PM.
Removed personal attack

#94    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,372 posts

• ראה

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

The votes are heavily leaning towards more freedom, I'm glad to see.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#95    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 14 June 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

The votes are heavily leaning towards more freedom, I'm glad to see.

So Am I! :tsu:

Great article on Forbes today:

NSA Surveillance May Have Dealt Major Blow To Global Internet Freedom Efforts

The internet has never been a perfect tool for advancing democracy and human rights.
Despite the most optimistic techno-utopian projections, the internet has yet to set us free and rid the world of dictators.  Critics have been right to warn us of the dangers of a single-minded approach — we should be careful not to overlook the deep historical, economic, and cultural factors that shape the world we live in today.  At the same time, it is true that the internet has revolutionized the way we are able to connect with each other.  We are no longer limited to our culture and geography, we can now unite around shared interests and values.

As the internet has grown in usage and importance in our daily lives, so too has the difficulty of keeping it “free” from censorship and control.  This struggle was important enough to 29-year-old former Booz Allen employee Edward Snowden for him to give up his life, career, and freedom to leak a historic amount of classified information about the shocking size and depth of the American surveillance state.  The fallout is just beginning – and as of now, there are far more questions than answers.
One thing has become clear though: the credibility of the idea that the internet can be a positive, freedom-promoting global force is facing its largest challenge to date.  And it comes directly from one of its most outspoken supporters: the US government.
Simply put, the US government has failed in its role as the “caretaker” of the internet.  Although this was never an official designation, America controls much of the infrastructure, and many of the most popular services online are provided by a handful of American companies.  The world is starting to sober up to the fact that much of what they’ve done online in the last decade is now cataloged in a top-secret facility somewhere in the United States.

My favorite part was this little tidbit here:

In trying to reassure the public, our leaders have told us that these programs are not meant to target us, but instead, foreigners who may pose a threat to our security.  But this is merely a decision on how the data is being used today – we are getting into very dangerous territory by hoping for the best intentions of whoever is in power in the future.  American history holds many lessons for us here: circumstances can change, the perception of who is a threat can vary with whoever is in office, and we cannot predict what our political situation will look like decades, or even years, from now.
In the court of global public opinion, America may have tarnished its moral authority to question the surveillance practices of other nations – whether it be Russia on monitoring journalists, or China on conducting cyber espionage.  Declarations by the State Department that were once statements of principle now ring hollow and hypocritical to some.  No nation can rival the American surveillance state, but they no longer need support to build their own massive systems of espionage and oppression.

#96    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,512 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostThe world needs you, on 14 June 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

I agree with that. Both groups make good points, but I wholeheartedly support the Tea Party. I say that with no hesitation or reservations. They represent my views extremely well.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#97    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,531 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostKowalski, on 14 June 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

So Am I! :tsu:

Great article on Forbes today:

My favorite part was this little tidbit here:

I'm not certain that the US has any moral authority to lose.  It seems to me that for a variety of reasons, the government has not been in possession of moral authority for quite a few years now, perhaps decades.

#98    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,905 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Id like to take my yes vote back. This guy obviously wasted his life for nothing. Whats the point if no one is going to do anything?

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#99    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,531 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 15 June 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Id like to take my yes vote back. This guy obviously wasted his life for nothing. Whats the point if no one is going to do anything?

He is standing for principle, nothing more.  Standing for what's right, over what's wrong.  His conscience is clean.

Also tagged with nsa, edward snowden, secrets, whistleblower, freedom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users