Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jump from Edge of Space

joc

The Red Bull Stratos event featuring Felix Baumgartner is set to happen today.

You can watch it via Live Stream HERE

....it just occurred to me that I am probably the only person on this forum that doesn't own a television...so it's probably not a big deal for anyone else to have a live streaming link...nonetheless...and it may not even happen...I hope for Felix's sake it does.

Wishing you the best Felix!

Edited by joc

They are beginning to fill the Helium Weather Balloon....looks like this is a 'go'.

at 45000 feet

outside temperature -67 F Capsule temp 57F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Felix has a problem at 61,000 feet...no heat in his helmet...beginning to fog...seems to think it is a serious problem

Edited by joc

Approaching the Armstrong Line...at this altitude...63,000 feet...without pressurization blood begins to boil

Edited by joc

At 84000 feet,,,still no word about the helmet issue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Still working on the helmet...trying to find out if he has heat on the faceplate...

Edited by joc

116 000 feet.....getting close now...whenever 'float' happens...that's when the balloon can't go any higher

I suddenly am concerned that the balloon may burst before he gets out

Beginning to go over the pre-jump check list....still climbing at 123000 feet

Good Luck Felix! depressuring cabin now....

Congratulations Felix! :tu:

Wow....what an exciting day this has turned out to be. Thanks all for watching it with me! I am so pumped up right now...

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

Awesome footage of him standing on the ledge before jumping....better footage then I was expecting.

The entire event had me on the edge of my seat...especially when Felix was on the edge of his seat...literally. I agree, that was awesome footage...and when he jumped, it was...well...breathtaking!

• Like 1

When he was tumbling down without control early in the dive, I was extremely worried. But the old sport fixed it like a pro. Cheers to him!

The Red Bull Stratos event featuring Felix Baumgartner is set to happen today.

You can watch it via Live Stream HERE

....it just occurred to me that I am probably the only person on this forum that doesn't own a television...so it's probably not a big deal for anyone else to have a live streaming link...nonetheless...and it may not even happen...I hope for Felix's sake it does.

I do not have a TV either. I either watch shows online or just my monitor for my Xbox. I now find TV boring,

Now,to watch that link.

To answer some concerns:

If his helmet visor heater did not eventually work correctly, he would have stayed in the capsule, which would have been released and has it's own parachute.

However, the capsule was not designed for human landing, so Felix would still have had to bail-out + 4,000 feet, and the unheated helmet would not be a problem at that point.

But, as we all know, all went well.

Since the visor heating issue seemed to be the only significant problem, I'm sure many engineer's will be looking at that.

After all, The Air Force and NASA were closesly monitoring the whole thing for future emergency high-altitude escape suits and procedures...

I was actually more concerned about his early horizontal spin, which I'm glad he corrected even though the descent parachute would deploy at a designated alttitude automatically in the event of unconciouness.

Edited by pallidin

Just watched the footage of this on TV. Jaw dropping stuff, glad it all went to plan. :)

When he was tumbling down without control early in the dive, I was extremely worried. But the old sport fixed it like a pro. Cheers to him!

A while after the jump was completed they interviewed Felix and some of his team. Someone asked him about that and he said he was worried about it as well. He said that because of the pressurized suit you can't feel anything so it makes it very difficult to overcome. He said he put one arm out one way and his speed increased, Then he put the other arm out and he slowed down. He said he could have deployed the shoot that would have slowed him down but he really didn't want to do that because it would have caused him to not break the sound barrier.

Also, he was asked about why he deployed the parachute when he did. He said because they planned it that way to be deployed at 5000 feet so that if anything went wrong, he would have time to cut it off and deploy the back up shoot. He said he deployed at 5200 feet. He said that was protocol.

He was also concerned, very concerned about the face plate not heating up. Protocol said that if that happened and he couldn't see out then he couldn't jump. But...all is well that ends well and that ended very, very well.

I think that it won't ever be possible to break the free fall record (time record) of his counter part without jeopardizing the diver. It was an awesome experience.

I don't have a TV either, "You are not alone."

According to my brother, who watched it live, Felix Baumgartner only had about 2,500 jumps, which is not a lot in the 'jumping world'. My brother has about 1,700 and has probably trained about the same number of people 'how to jump'. Felix's relative lack of experience, is what truly amazes my brother.

He told me that for a brief period when Felix went into a horizontal spin (way better than a vertical spin) he felt his blood turn 'icy'. Felix, of course recovered from that and said to his ground crew, after they started trying to contact him, "**** off, I'm a bit busy now" or "**** off, I'm a bit dizzy now". Either would have been appropriate. :)

What amazed him was that their was no drogue or pilot chute involved (to slow down and stabilize him). I'm curious as to what his speed was when he pulled his chute.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1