Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NHS removes 'Dad' from parenting leaflets

Still Waters

The Ready Steady Baby pamphlet, which offers advice on pregnancy and the first year of parenthood, has been given to mums and dads-to-be for the last 14 years.

However, the 220-page guide will no longer refer to fathers after a complaint that claimed it was "not inclusive of people in same-sex relationships".

Instead, the leaflet will use the non-gender specific term "partner" in its latest revision.

Norman Wells, of the Family Education Trust, said the NHS was wrong to change the language in the booklet.

He said: "The NHS should not be squandering tax payers' money to advance the cause of a minority interest group.

http://www.telegraph...ex-couples.html

I do not see a problem here at all. The article states that these advice books are reviewed at least annually, so changing "Dad" or "Mum" to "partner" incurred no additional costs to the NHS. You could also say that those adopting a baby should not be called "Dad" / "Mum" as they are not the birth parents

It actually stikes me that this person is somewhat homophobic... from the article:

Norman Wells, of the Family Education Trust, said the NHS was wrong to change the language in the booklet."

He said: "The NHS should not be squandering tax payers' money to advance the cause of a minority interest group."

• Like 1

i dont see a problem with it, as it speaks to all kinds of people now, whether its a man or woman reading it, or whether their partner is a man or a woman.