Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Web 're-defining' human identities

Render

Social networks such as Facebook and on-line gaming are changing people's view of who they are and their place in the world, according to a report for the government's chief scientist.

The report, published by Prof Sir John Beddington, says that traditional ideas of identity will be less meaningful.

One consequence could be communities becoming less cohesive.

This change could be harnessed to bring positive changes or if ignored could fuel social exclusion, says the study.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21084945

what did rene descartes say " i have facebook, there fore i exist"

Heheh, a philosophy may live by these days.

the world is our oyster

Why do I feel like a prawn? :unsure:

I try to stay well rounded.

Don't use FB, but respect others right to do so. :yes:

It simply creates or enables another level of human interaction. But it does become impulsive somehow, and sometimes that interferes with other levels of human interaction.

@ouija ouija...... Do you mean pawn? If not, because you have a thing for sitting in thousand island dressing?

Hahaha I was stupid and neglected to notice you were responding to another! Funny......

:st Welcome to U.M.!

I used FB for abotu 5 mins, then hated it.... I think its making people social retarts... but as ruth Said, Repect others rights to do so...

Everyone knows what everyones up to with a click of the button - in the future, parties will be people standing in silence because there is nothing new to say.....(wait that sounds bliss) hahaha.

It's good for messaging...that's it.

All those bull**** pages and status updates are enough to drive you up the wall. "Like for a like" - Commence fake profiling by someone who barley knows you.

I guess people just love and crave attention.

Edited by Sean93

It's good for messaging...that's it.

All those bull**** pages and status updates are enough to drive you up the wall. "Like for a like" - Commence fake profiling by someone who barley knows you.

I guess people just love and crave attention.

Essentially. It's trading attention for attention.

• Like 1

I don't need people checking in or messaging all that often. Nor do I want to know every little thing about people. A little mystery behind the people you know is nice.

What was it the whole distance makes the heart grow fonder, I find this to be more relevant today then it has ever been.

• Like 1

its a good time capsule or timeline for pics and events, even if i lose all my physical pictures and things ive done, it will still be backed up online, as long as nothing happens to internet.

• Like 1

People will post the most ridiculous bits of information about themselves and I read about someone getting in trouble for posting a picture or making a dumb comment on Facebook at least once a week if not more. It's as if .these people lose their ability to make wise decisions

• Like 1

People will post the most ridiculous bits of information about themselves and I read about someone getting in trouble for posting a picture or making a dumb comment on Facebook at least once a week if not more. It's as if .these people lose their ability to make wise decisions

I suspect that out of the gazillions of posts made there are bound to be a few really dumb ones.

Don't use FB, but respect others right to do so. :yes:

It simply creates or enables another level of human interaction. But it does become impulsive somehow, and sometimes that interferes with other levels of human interaction.

Like anything if you let it, it can be a little consuming. Just like TV, just like all sorts of things. I am an optimist so I look at what this technology can do to help people. It does connect people, especially people that are cut off for some reason.....maybe an illness, maybe location. I think we are living in exciting times. We are just beginning to enter a new realm where billions have a voice. As more people become connected the power of the internet grows.
  • Like 2

Like anything if you let it, it can be a little consuming. Just like TV, just like all sorts of things. I am an optimist so I look at what this technology can do to help people. It does connect people, especially people that are cut off for some reason.....maybe an illness, maybe location. I think we are living in exciting times. We are just beginning to enter a new realm where billions have a voice. As more people become connected the power of the internet grows.

'where billions have a voice' ....... hmm, all that seems to happen is they're shouting to be heard! Everyone's shouting and no-one is listening :no: .

But I agree that it's great for people stuck at home for whatever reason.