Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mermaids: The Body Found

animal planet mermaids documentary

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#46    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

It isn't a real show. The bad acting from the "researchers" should have been a tell to most intelligent viewers. However, my relatives fell for it hook, line and sinker...pun intended

Posted Image

#47    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostHarlequin Dreamer, on 14 August 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

I liked the doco be it real or not but it did make me think some animals did return back to the sea so why not an ape. ?

Physiology.

When this fellow decided to return to a life below the waves about 50 million years ago

Posted Image

he evolved into this:

Posted Image

and then onto this

Posted Image

And considering that if you go back only 3 million years, we looked like this

Posted Image

and because we stayed on land, evolved into this

Posted Image

to suit out environment, so where did these features

Posted Image

come from, and what is the purpose? Nothing like other species at all with regards to evolution is it? It a half land half sea creature, Half appears to have evolved on land, and half evolved in the sea. How does that twain meet?
It doesn't. The top bit has evolved to survive in open air, the bottom in water. It is just 2 odd creatures stitched together. But a nice imagination IMHO. I would not object to Mermaids existing if they look like this, no sir.

Edited by psyche101, 22 November 2012 - 07:27 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#48    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

View Postthewild, on 18 November 2012 - 03:53 AM, said:

It isn't a real show. The bad acting from the "researchers" should have been a tell to most intelligent viewers. However, my relatives fell for it hook, line and sinker...pun intended

No way, someone thought this was a real Doco?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#49    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,184 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

I think mermaids are entirely fictitious.
Likely too much rum on sailing ships with lonely men looking at sea creatures, and, an imaginitive intoxicated sailor to "rock the boat" for some fun.

After all, they would need to surface for air, so we would(currently) see them. Not to mention being caught in large-scale fishing nets.

#50    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

View Postpallidin, on 22 November 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

I think mermaids are entirely fictitious.
Likely too much rum on sailing ships with lonely men looking at sea creatures, and, an imaginitive intoxicated sailor to "rock the boat" for some fun.

After all, they would need to surface for air, so we would(currently) see them. Not to mention being caught in large-scale fishing nets.

I think the old theory of Dugongs has merit, but further to that, and along the same lines, a newer hypothesis has been unveiled that sggested Mermaids were typically found in the Sea of Japan where naked, or near naked and very beautiful Japanese pearl divers called Ama's who had trained themselves to hold their breath for a very long time just happened to be searching for pearls. They might stumble upon a half naked gorgeous pearl diver with unusual features (at the time) and considered them a Sea Creature.

Clothed Ama (Yeah I know, but it's a family board!! )

Posted Image

#51    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,966 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 22 November 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

I think the old theory of Dugongs has merit, but further to that, and along the same lines, a newer hypothesis has been unveiled that sggested Mermaids were typically found in the Sea of Japan where naked, or near naked and very beautiful Japanese pearl divers called Ama's who had trained themselves to hold their breath for a very long time just happened to be searching for pearls. They might stumble upon a half naked gorgeous pearl diver with unusual features (at the time) and considered them a Sea Creature.

Clothed Ama (Yeah I know, but it's a family board!! )

Thanks, I googled for better pics :)

Learn something new every day :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#52    Socio

Socio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Anyone else watch the Mermaid Further Evidence special last night?

It was pretty compelling, I was not convinced before but now, especially after seeing it come up to the survey sub that was some 1000ft down I believe, and put its "hand" on the glass window and you get a good glimpse of its face and tail as it swam off  it has got me believing.

I hope someone posts a full 1080P video of that show, I sure would like go through that part frame by frame and examine it closer.

Edited by Socio, 27 May 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#53    Socio

Socio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostSocio, on 27 May 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

It was pretty compelling, I was not convinced before but now, especially after seeing it come up to the survey sub that was some 1000ft down I believe, and put its "hand" on the glass window and you get a good glimpse of its face and tail as it swam off  it has got me believing.

I hope someone posts a full 1080P video of that show, I sure would like go through that part frame by frame and examine it closer.

This show;

http://www.examiner....n-animal-planet

The new Animal Planet special “Mermaids: The New Evidence” is one of two new mermaid specials premiering tonight as part of “Monster Week”. The new program is a follow up to last year’s hugely successful mockumentary “Mermaids: The Body Found.” The special “Mermaids: The Body Found- The Extended Cut” also debuts tonight. The original special was so convincing that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) issued a public statement in response to the overwhelming number of inquiries about mermaids that followed the show’s airing last year.

The next air dates;

Wednesday, May 29: 10 p.m.
Thursday, May 30: 1 a.m., 5 a.m.
Discovery Channel:
Monday, May 27: 10 p.m.
Tuesday, May 28: 1 a.m.

#54    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,311 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Dude, seriously?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#55    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Had a pleasant chat with my mom on the phone the other day.. until she brought this g-damn show up again. Then we argued about it. I really hate stupid shows like this one that make some people completely believe utter crap. And she's elderly so I should go easy on her.. I should have just agreed with her..

Posted Image

#56    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,966 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

View Postthewild, on 27 May 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Had a pleasant chat with my mom on the phone the other day.. until she brought this g-damn show up again. Then we argued about it. I really hate stupid shows like this one that make some people completely believe utter crap. And she's elderly so I should go easy on her.. I should have just agreed with her..

Ah Hell....

Blame the people that let Television educate them.....

And/ Or

Blame the people that do not research things from numerous sources before believing things.....

It is frustrating though, isn't it?

Posted Image

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#57    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,566 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostSakari, on 27 May 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

LOLOL!

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#58    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,966 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

When the first special about mermaids aired on Animal Planet last year, it fooled so many people that Snopes.com decided to debunk “Mermaids: The Body Found” on its website. The show featured a faux scientist from the National Oceanic And Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), so the organization also tried to distance itself from the mockumentary by releasing a statement saying that “No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found.”
“Mermaids: The New Evidence” probably didn’t fool as many people this time around, but it tried really hard to make believers out of the gullible.

http://www.examiner....rs-out-of-a-few

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#59    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

I heard about our government officially  saying THERE ARE NO MERMAIDS and I thought why the h*ll would they say that! With ETs they never even officially deny their possible existence, just that there is not evidence for them!    This  "mermaid thing" must be closer to something else very real that  they don't want people to know about in the ocean. Reminds me of the FEMA defense against zombies, give me a break, it's about readiness  protection during a rampant deadly viral infection!

I saw the end of that "mermaid body found " show. I could see some remote possibilities of a old species of fish developing arms like a frog, if it were old enough why not more intelligent too, but I'm still not a believer. I do admit I was entertained by the show's wild speculations and maybe 1% of real evidence of something else probably being misinterpreted for entertainment value.

I was exposed to the reality of the subject  about 25 years ago when I heard a big fish tail first hand  in Florida. The fisherman swore it was true but it was brushed off by authorities as being a seacow sighting. He knew his seacows very  well and was involved in their protection so I believed that he truly saw something else.

I never saw one but I try keep an open mind to new species being discovered especially now when the oceans are polluted in so many areas,  undiscovered fish may migrate differently. The fisherman turned amateur marine biologist described it as ugly with a crest and webbed fingers  not the normally depicted mermaid. He said Barnum had a body that looked like what he saw and the other men saw when they researched the subject with others. He was hoping to catch it someday!    

I wonder now what would make a BIG issue of the possibility of the mermaid legend having a link to any real species and any government speaking out that they don't exist?

I smell lots of rats not mermaids!

The whole thing might be related to USOs, genetics or just military research and development tests and not the mermaid speculations as portrayed. I don't know what it is but something FISHY appears to be  going on under the oceans that they don't want the public to know about, to make the official statements of denial.  

Just a thought

#60    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,966 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostWhite Unicorn, on 27 May 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

I heard about our government officially  saying THERE ARE NO MERMAIDS and I thought why the h*ll would they say that! With ETs they never even officially deny their possible existence, just that there is not evidence for them! This  "mermaid thing" must be closer to something else very real that  they don't want people to know about in the ocean. Reminds me of the FEMA defense against zombies, give me a break, it's about readiness  protection during a rampant deadly viral infection!

I saw the end of that "mermaid body found " show. I could see some remote possibilities of a old species of fish developing arms like a frog, if it were old enough why not more intelligent too, but I'm still not a believer. I do admit I was entertained by the show's wild speculations and maybe 1% of real evidence of something else probably being misinterpreted for entertainment value.

I was exposed to the reality of the subject  about 25 years ago when I heard a big fish tail first hand  in Florida. The fisherman swore it was true but it was brushed off by authorities as being a seacow sighting. He knew his seacows very  well and was involved in their protection so I believed that he truly saw something else.

I never saw one but I try keep an open mind to new species being discovered especially now when the oceans are polluted in so many areas,  undiscovered fish may migrate differently. The fisherman turned amateur marine biologist described it as ugly with a crest and webbed fingers  not the normally depicted mermaid. He said Barnum had a body that looked like what he saw and the other men saw when they researched the subject with others. He was hoping to catch it someday!

I wonder now what would make a BIG issue of the possibility of the mermaid legend having a link to any real species and any government speaking out that they don't exist?

I smell lots of rats not mermaids!

The whole thing might be related to USOs, genetics or just military research and development tests and not the mermaid speculations as portrayed. I don't know what it is but something FISHY appears to be  going on under the oceans that they don't want the public to know about, to make the official statements of denial.  

Just a thought

Uhm, the show ( both of them ) are fiction, mockumentaries, not real......

This has been pointed out since the first one aired.......

Do not believe me, write Discovery channel, or just read back, or just google yourself.....

I am sure you will not see this anyway, as it seems more and more people read the title, the first reply, then hit " reply " and ignore everything in between.....

I should re-post the pic that is 3 replies back.....

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

Also tagged with animal planet, mermaids, documentary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users