Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Your 'on line' and 'off line' personality

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,142 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

For awhile I've been thinking about how people's personalities can be very different when they're on line (in discussion forums and chat rooms) verses how they behave in 'real life'. I know that I have marked differences in my personality. In real life I'm far more introverted, less likely to offer my opinion, generally keep to myself (especially in public). However, when offered the anonymity of on line expression I become far more outgoing and willing to engage with others. Does anyone else feel that their personality differs depending upon the medium they are using?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#2    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

POPULAR

My personality is pretty much the same on or off....but I'm much better looking (and maybe taller) online.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#3    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'm more reserved offline, I don't mind talking to people, just don't feel like it :)

#4    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,178 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostLilly, on 21 August 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

For awhile I've been thinking about how people's personalities can be very different when they're on line (in discussion forums and chat rooms) verses how they behave in 'real life'. I know that I have marked differences in my personality. In real life I'm far more introverted, less likely to offer my opinion, generally keep to myself (especially in public). However, when offered the anonymity of on line expression I become far more outgoing and willing to engage with others. Does anyone else feel that their personality differs depending upon the medium they are using?
Its the same for me, but only with the real life persons, whom I don't know and just met.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#5    St. Jimmy

St. Jimmy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

I'm trying to behave the same, on-line and off-line. Maybe I'm more kind and warm in a real life with real people. I don't mean that as an insult, but I don't believe in "best-friends-forever" thing through Facebook, e-mail etc. From my point of view the direct contact is needed for good friendship.

#6    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,269 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Pretty much what you (don't) see is what you get...  I'm much the same on-line as off, except I really don't have antlers...

#7    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Same as on here, only i drink more offline.

Interesting topic,

Thanks,

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#8    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostLilly, on 21 August 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

If someone is mean to you in public does it provoke an automatic emotional response (anger, hate, unhappyness, etc) which is missing during online debate?

Those programmed responses can be reprogrammed away.

#9    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,662 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

I think I've learned as much about myself online as I have about others and it's interesting, to say the least.

#10    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,142 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 21 August 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

If someone is mean to you in public does it provoke an automatic emotional response (anger, hate, unhappyness, etc) which is missing during online debate?

No, I *feel* very much the same in both mediums. However, I'm more likely to point out my feelings online verses simply keeping my feelings to myself (in real life).

Those programmed responses can be reprogrammed away.

I don't function via "programmed responses", I look at each situation on its own merits. Also, I have little desire to be "reprogrammed"...sounds rather sinister actually.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#11    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,228 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

With serious coversations, like politics and religion: probably even less in real life than I do on here.

With corny jokes and acting silly: more so in real life than on here.

I gotta be me. <--That and I dislike too much negativity. Don't need it in my life, no one does.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#12    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have a different personality when posting on a thread then I do in the chat room. That is just here on U-M.

I am also different to mostly everyone I meet and gets to know me. Everyone would probably describe me differently.

I think perhaps the reason for this is because when two people interact they form something new so my interactions are just half of the result with any given person. So with another person the end result will also be different.

Basicially no one is really interested in the things that most interest me so I end defaulting to topics that others choose or that I slide in if I feel they can be receptive.

#13    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,282 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Eh, I'm pretty much the same online and off.  :)  I will say that I think my "personality" doesn't come through online as it doe IRL.  Many times I have to explain (even in a heated debate) that I'm not being snarky or a smartass and am sincerely asking or saying something.  IRL the "tone" comes across better.  :)

I am a goof online and off.  Don't take things personally (98% of the time) and try to NEVER say something hurtful or something I will regret.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#14    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm definitely more outgoing online. More inclined to join in on a conversation with strangers.
Most people I know are not very skeptical at all or interested in seeking truth.

Edited by HDesiato, 21 August 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#15    brandylin

brandylin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• We get better with age. I'm approaching Magnificent.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

My personality is the same online and off line. I've been using chat for over 15 years, and in that time I've TRIED different personas, but it never works. I'm just me. If someone hurts my feelings online I feel just as upset as if they did it in real life. The only difference is, online I can put them on ignore or turn off the computer to make them go away, which I wish I could do sometimes in real life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users