Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what would it be like if...

Lord_Kazius

what i want to know is if fire was never discovered, were would we as a race be today? would we have died out? evolved diferently, needing hair for warmth,etc., or was the discovery of fire inadvetible? on further note what are other discoveries that if not discovered would have greatly devestated our race and why? and what path would we have taken?

Edited by Lord_Kazius

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord_Kazius

• marduk

• sultanmuratova

• The Roswell Man

well another example of a discovery very important to us would have been the knowledge and tools of agriculture. without that we would have remained nomads.

mostly its the simple things that we dont think about that if didnt exist would have changed our lives.

more examples:

lightbulbes, imagine still having to use candles or oillamps.

means of communication, without it we wouldnt be in touch with the world.

weapons? maybe no war?

remind me never to light the stove in your house............

maybe instead of "discover" use the word "tamed"? Someone'll still come in and talk about raging forest fires and volcanoes, but I think most might get that instead of discover.

And if we never used fire? I think it would be a most unwelcome world for us. We use fire for so many different things, not the least of which protection, security, and comfort (or enduring otherwise uninhabitable cimates). There would be no sterilization, no alloy, no bricks no pottery. No glass, no cooked meals, no fired wood, no smoke signals, no smoking... we'd not know about fire clearing, would die to fire more often. Nothing to light dark passages, nothing to keep wild animals away in the wilderness.

Would kinda suck. I think, it wouldn't take too long (if nothing else about humanity in the scenario is changed) before someone figured it out eventually.

What if the law of karma didn't exsist, or concequences to actions didn't exsist?

lightbulbes, imagine still having to use candles or oillamps.
what i want to know is if fire was never discovered,
Think no candles or oil lamps. Remember "No Fire".

I'd say the printing press..Without the capability to mass produce books knowledge would still be a tightly controlled subsidiary of the church..We may have never left the Middle Ages behind us..

let me rephrase it so you don't come in here talking about "raging forest fires" and what not...what if man kind was never able to grasp the concept of fire as a tool? hopefully that is good enough for you...

let me rephrase it so you don't come in here talking about "raging forest fires" and what not...what if man kind was never able to grasp the concept of fire as a tool? hopefully that is good enough for you...

617532[/snapback]

Yes, that's a much better way to phrase it.

If we never used fire as a tool I think we would have been forced to discover electricity alot sooner. People need heat and light, so with out fire, humans would have to figure out another source of these two necessities, thus electricity would be discovered. However I think the taming of fire was inevitable.

Most people might not have even been able to survive back then, in the cold. I never gave that much thought....... but hmmmmmm...... hmm.gif

Edited by brittish_gurl

hmm.gif No fire, eh? I think that was inevitable. Taming fire is truly a better way to look at it.

As far as other "world changing discoveries", I would have to say - medicinal plants. Tallow trees, yew, roots, poppy thumbsup.gif , and a whole host of other wonderfully helpful plants. Our ancestors knew of these things long before we "re-discovered them", and relied on them heavily.

Natural magnets have to rate pretty darn high on the list of "earth shattering discoveries too." The magnetic field of the Earth, and the magnetic nature of the poles of the planet were a real boon as well. w00t.gif

In more modern times, sulfa drugs, and then antibiotics, photo-electrics, radioactive minerals, hydrocarbon based fuels and lubricants. alien.gif

I could go on.... and on.... But I digress.

hmm.gif  No fire, eh?  I think that was inevitable.  Taming fire is truly a better way to look at it.

As far as other "world changing discoveries", I would have to say - medicinal plants.  Tallow trees, yew, roots, poppy  thumbsup.gif , and a whole host of other wonderfully helpful plants.  Our ancestors knew of these things long before we "re-discovered them", and relied on them heavily. 

Natural magnets have to rate pretty darn high on the list of "earth shattering discoveries too."  The magnetic field of the Earth, and the magnetic nature of the poles of the planet were a real boon as well.  w00t.gif

In more modern times, sulfa drugs, and then antibiotics, photo-electrics, radioactive minerals, hydrocarbon based fuels and lubricants.  alien.gif 

I could go on.... and on.... But I digress.

617645[/snapback]

Ah you're good at digressing merl,

welcome to the forum,

watch out for this fella guys he's a damned reprobate,

just like me

in my opinion of we never "tamed" fire we would have evolved differently, needing fur to keep warm,etc...

in my opinion of we never "tamed" fire we would have evolved differently, needing fur to keep warm,etc...

618479[/snapback]

It's certainly questionable whether our Eurasian ancestors would have survived the ice age....... Though without fire I suppose their African and Austronesian cousins would have survived okay.

But without fire there would have been, for example, no pottery.

And no beer w00t.gif

no beer!? how could mankind exist without?

no beer!? how could mankind exist without?

618506[/snapback]

easily,

theres always vodka

ya we would have ended up evolvin to gain fur but fire would have happened if anyone liked it or not, just needed adry season and a lightning storm and bada bing bada boom

ah but beer is mans nectar

620360[/snapback]

wait 15 years and tell me that

w00t.gifw00t.gif

Yes, that's a much better way to phrase it.

If we never used fire as a tool I think we would have been forced to discover electricity alot sooner. People need heat and light, so with out fire, humans would have to figure out another source of these two necessities, thus electricity would be discovered. However I think the taming of fire was inevitable.

617546[/snapback]

to make electricity, we burn coal to heat up water to produce steam to turn a turbine...so it too involves fire, at least more than 50% of the time. There is wind, solar, water, and nuclear power, but discovering nuclear power before wielding fire???sounds unlikely.

fire has always been...there is no way we could NOT discover it.maybe a better question would be where mankind would be if we left the fire alone, and not used it to help shape the progress of mankind

fire has always been...there is no way we could NOT discover it.maybe a better question would be where mankind would be if we left the fire alone, and not used it to help shape the progress of mankind

621418[/snapback]

lol

thats gonna be the same answer though isn't it ??

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifthumbsup.gif