Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Looks like bigfoot has gone mainstream

oh shut up and watch it.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,648 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

View PostSakari, on 07 January 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

Exactly what I just posted, only in better wording...( I am 47 )

This is another thing, Animal Planet used to be a great educational outlet....." used to ".

That's another big problem. I question anything the "used to" be worthwhile channels put on anymore! Even stuff that seems worthwhile.
It nags at the back of my mind "Is this staged? Is that really true? Is this possibly intended as a moneymaking program at the cost of truth?"

Edited by QuiteContrary, 07 January 2013 - 03:22 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#17    Nightpath

Nightpath

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

In FB, the only person that keeps the show from going off into a gaggle of idiocy is Ranae, and she has her moments. I bet bigfoot could be hitting her up doggy style and she wouldn't believe.

I do miss the old nature shows, but times change.

#18    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,648 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

Well, if she couldn't see him... :whistle:

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#19    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,999 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

View PostNightpath, on 07 January 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

In FB, the only person that keeps the show from going off into a gaggle of idiocy is Ranae, and she has her moments. I bet bigfoot could be hitting her up doggy style and she wouldn't believe.

Would not happen...She does not go that way....Maybe a female Bigfoot.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#20    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostNightpath, on 07 January 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

....and she liked guys. Just saying.

Come to think of it, I did notice the new red haired Wendy girl wasn't in that one.

:unsure2:

Edited by keninsc, 07 January 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#21    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

Nature documentaries sacrificing education for entertainment isn't anything new. In 1955, Walt Disney himself* shoved a truckload of lemmings off a cliff in White Wilderness perpetuating the myth that lemmings commit mass suicide that many people still believe to this day.

The problem with FB as many people have pointed out is that it states what most other paranormal shows would merely speculate or theorize, as plain fact, making the show the equivalent to shoving a truckload of lemmings off a cliff.

*Walt Disney probably didn't murder those lemmings himself.

#22    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostPlanB, on 07 January 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

Nature documentaries sacrificing education for entertainment isn't anything new. In 1955, Walt Disney himself* shoved a truckload of lemmings off a cliff in White Wilderness perpetuating the myth that lemmings commit mass suicide that many people still believe to this day.

He had a rotating platform for that...

Posted Image

Edited by Night Walker, 07 January 2013 - 05:49 AM.

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#23    Nightpath

Nightpath

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

That red head Wendy's girl...now THAT I'd like a sighting of. :devil:

#24    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

That show is the biggest joke on TV. How can anyone take it serious with Moneymaker and Bobo get real.

#25    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,648 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostPlanB, on 07 January 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

The problem with FB as many people have pointed out is that it states what most other paranormal shows would merely speculate or theorize, as plain fact, making the show the equivalent to shoving a truckload of lemmings off a cliff.

Nothing is new under the sun. But several channels have gone from natural fact to fantasy for profit. And there certainly used to be far less of it on TV, and it hurts their credibility when they offer something of substance, imo.

Which and how many of the paranormal shows only speculate? Or use noncommittal language? I'm not familiar with them.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 07 January 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#26    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,648 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 07 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

That show is the biggest joke on TV. How can anyone take it serious with Moneymaker and Bobo get real.

Good question. Some think they are actually watching "experts", I guess.
But it's not any worse than Paranormal State and a half dozen others. Imo.

#27    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

This show is pretty pathetic, just hours wasted with bigfoot obsessives that are so full of self-denial everything they hear or encounter in the woods ... is a "Squatch". Take these silly people off the air and dont waste any more film on them.

I dont know why Wendys would endorse this... only to show quality and intelligent television programming is quickly gone to the dogs.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#28    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 07 January 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Nothing is new under the sun. But several channels have gone from natural fact to fantasy for profit. And there certainly used to be far less of it on TV, and it hurts their credibility when they offer something of substance, imo.

I hear ya. But I think sacrificing education for entertainment is the new normal unfortunately. And anything paranormal, well that slider is going to be way to the entertainment side.

View PostQuiteContrary, on 07 January 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Which and how many of the paranormal shows only speculate? Or use noncommittal language? I'm not familiar with them.

As Sakari pointed out, Destination Truth is one of them. If you're not familiar, the premise is the team goes to an exotic location and investigates a local legend be it crypto or ghostly. It has some of the pitfalls of other paranormal shows (running around in the dark in green-o-vision), but is a much more fun and entertaining show because it doesn't take itself so seriously. By show's end, they're willing to conclude that the local legend may in fact be some sort of misidentifacation or exageration. FB's desperate attempt for legitamacy is what ironcially undoes it, among other things.

Beast Hunter is a crypto show on Nat Geo Wild that I recently discovered and have enjoyed, although I've only seen a few episodes. Didn't even realize that Nat Geo Wild was an actual channel until I house-sat.

Is it Real? is a Nat Geo show that kinds of strings you along with paranormal evidence on a different subject every episode, but ulitmately explains them all away by show's end revealing a more skeptical bias.

#29    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,648 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostPlanB, on 07 January 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

I hear ya. But I think sacrificing education for entertainment is the new normal unfortunately. And anything paranormal, well that slider is going to be way to the entertainment side.

As Sakari pointed out, Destination Truth is one of them. If you're not familiar, the premise is the team goes to an exotic location and investigates a local legend be it crypto or ghostly. It has some of the pitfalls of other paranormal shows (running around in the dark in green-o-vision), but is a much more fun and entertaining show because it doesn't take itself so seriously. By show's end, they're willing to conclude that the local legend may in fact be some sort of misidentifacation or exageration. FB's desperate attempt for legitamacy is what ironcially undoes it, among other things.

Beast Hunter is a crypto show on Nat Geo Wild that I recently discovered and have enjoyed, although I've only seen a few episodes. Didn't even realize that Nat Geo Wild was an actual channel until I house-sat.

Is it Real? is a Nat Geo show that kinds of strings you along with paranormal evidence on a different subject every episode, but ulitmately explains them all away by show's end revealing a more skeptical bias.

I think Josh is hilarious! :tsu: Is it still on?  He still shows his evidence to paranormal experts and from my experience with the show, and imo, he and his team are not terribly skeptical. Even open-ended conclusions are what they are- meant to bring the believers and the nonbelievers back for another show.

I've watched Beast Hunter too and River Monsters. But I don't consider them the same type of show as the Finding Bigfoot and Ghost Hunters types. Nor do I consider the hosts out to find a paranormal explanation. They give background into the rumors and stories and legends/myths, that's all.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 07 January 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#30    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 07 January 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I think Josh is hilarious! :tsu: Is it still on?  He still shows his evidence to paranormal experts and from my experience with the show, and imo, he and his team are not terribly skeptical. Even open-ended conclusions are what they are- meant to bring the believers and the nonbelievers back for another show.

Right, but it's a case by case thing. Which kind of adds validity to whatever they deem may exist or be true. But they never come flat out saying, OMG! Philipino Vampires are real!!! because they never have the evidence to support it. But that's a really good point about the open-ended conclusions.

One of my favorite lines from DT was when a crewman says something to the effect "Nobody's better at almost catching monsters than you Josh!" Can't imagine anyone on FB saying this as it would be a huge crush to their egos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users