Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Geologic Structure Seen from Space

Still Waters

A huge, copper-toned formation in West Africa dominates a mesmerizing photo taken by an astronaut aboard the International Space Station.

Dutch astronaut Andre Kuipers snapped this hypnotic image of the so-called Richat structure in Mauritania, as the space station flew over the Sahara Desert on the Atlantic Coast of West Africa.Erosion of the various rock layers created the ring-like features that make up the sprawling structure, but the origin of the Richat structure remains somewhat mysterious, geologists have said.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orangepeaceful79

• Abramelin

• ChrLzs

• space11498

Beautiful! So many amazing sites to see on this blue (and sometimes red) marble of ours.

Well, I guess we'd need a side photo to see if it is actually a tiered mountain structure. 'coz, at the moment, all I can tell from the picture is that it is a very uniform looking crater.

Looks like part of Unicron from the original Transformers movie. Beautiful image indeed.

Well the recent cartoon reimagine Unicron into being the Earth ;)

An amazing pic indeed!The way the photo is taken is nice. :tu:

Well, I guess we'd need a side photo to see if it is actually a tiered mountain structure.

Your wish ....

640px-Richat_Structure_-_SRTM.jpg

That's actually a computer generated image, exaggerating the heights somewhat.. From link below.

It's also called the Eye of the Sahara, or 'Richat'.

Your wish ....

640px-Richat_Structure_-_SRTM.jpg

That's actually a computer generated image, exaggerating the heights somewhat.. From link below.

It's also called the Eye of the Sahara, or 'Richat'.

And as many will know, one of the zillion sites "Atlantis City" is supposed to be located.... http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124435

Sigh.

Edited by Abramelin

Well the recent cartoon reimagine Unicron into being the Earth ;)

I've not seen that. Sounds interesting.

Fantastic image, thank you SW.

Awesome find! I never grow tired of images such as these! Beautiful!

Well, I guess we'd need a side photo to see if it is actually a tiered mountain structure. 'coz, at the moment, all I can tell from the picture is that it is a very uniform looking crater.

I haven't seen anything calling it a mountain, it's a depression, an inverted dome type structure, naturally formed ;)

Pretty clearly a dome. Awesomely defined look though, like an idealized textbook illustration.

Very nice indeed.