Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

School seizes rosary beads from student,

lpveland school rosary beads manuel vigil

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,011 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

A student is questioning whether his faith or his fashion is under fire at his high school in Loveland.

Thompson Valley High School officials have confiscated his rosary beads twice since school started three weeks ago.

And he says they never told him, or his family, why.

“They tell me I can’t wear them,” says Manuel Vigil, showing us an identical rosary to the one seized by his school.

The junior says he wears rosary beads to protect himself from harm.

But his school district thinks the religious necklace will harm students.

http://kdvr.com/2012...to-fight-gangs/

Posted Image

#2    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

They shouldn't be allowed to do that unless it goes the against school policy about clothing and accessories. Rosary Beads aren't meant to be worn anyway.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Thomas J, 16 September 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,598 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

First off..even though I am not a Christian I never heard of Rosary Beads being worn..they can be carried but not worn.
Secondly, how is this string of beads going to harm anyone? A distraction? Not any more distracting thant a kid wearing lots of colors.

It seems like nowdays anything can be considered a "gang" symbol. Some day schools will screech at kids for wearing orange or green because it is supposedly attached to a gang or some such rot.

Why is it assumed that kids really care what others are wearing.this is garbage that the parents instill into the kids, not the other way around.
When I was in school I couldn't give a rats rear what the others were wearing not did I feel the need to be "offended" by someone wearing a cross or whatever.

It's the adults who make the problems..why insist on making it a problem for the kids?
Let him carry his beads and get on with life.

#4    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

I used to believe that if you wore them, Jesus was protecting you  ...

Anyhoo beads... I don't like beads any more because my daughter  got boxes of them for her birthday recently from friends...to make her own jewellery...She dropped them over my dinning room floor. *ping ping ping* ...all over the show they went.. and I stood on them  ( as you do ) ...grrrr beads..I threatened to vacuum them if she does it again .!!

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,619 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Schools have gotten so stupid lately.  They just take everything to far.  Hey, maybe they should make the kids come to school naked that way they won't have any symbols at all. The kid across the street from me is in the 4 th grade and can do high school math.  Do they give him high school math to do, no they make him plod along with the rest of the students.  I showed him some websites to help him advance at his own rate.  I figure if he keeps at it he'll be doing collage math by the end of the year.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 16 September 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

They just take everything to far.  Hey, maybe they should make the kids come to school naked that way they won't have any symbols at all.

Yup that would be taking it too far indeed  lol

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,395 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I wonder if they let female muslim children cover their head up.  If they don't that may be why they won't allow the beads.  It may have something to do with not allowing religious symbols.  He could of put them inside his shirt.

The district says it gave Vigil options before seizing the beads.
“We’ve given you two opportunities to take it off or to put it inside your shirt. That’s not something you’re interested in doing. You’re not giving us an alternative than to remove it,” Crespo says Vigil was told.

#8    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

The boy is Catholic so I can understand why he thinks wearing his Rosary beads will protect him. It is, however not appropriate to wear them round the neck but he is only a kid and if they are not on display, I can't see any harm done. When my daughter was attending a Catholic school her friend was told to remove her cross and chain!

Edited by Star of the Sea, 16 September 2012 - 03:47 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 16 September 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

When my daughter was attending a Catholic school her friend was told to remove her crucifix!

Vampires tend to do that sometimes   lol

#10    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,850 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostHighlander, on 16 September 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

I wonder if they let female muslim children cover their head up.  If they don't that may be why they won't allow the beads.  It may have something to do with not allowing religious symbols.  He could of put them inside his shirt.

Hi Hilander,

Just saw your post after replying. In my post I mentioned that my daughter attended a Catholic school and her friend was told to remove her cross and chain but in their class there were two Muslim girls with their headscarves on!

#11    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,850 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 16 September 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Vampires tend to do that sometimes   lol

LOL BM! I actually edited my post before you replied and changed it to cross and chain because it did look strange!!!

#12    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 16 September 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

The boy is Catholic so I can understand why he thinks wearing his Rosary beads will protect him. It is, however not appropriate to wear them round the neck but he is only a kid and if they are not on display, I can't see any harm done. When my daughter was attending a Catholic school her friend was told to remove her cross and chain!
So all the nuns wearing rosary beads I saw were doing something inappropriate? I can understand that faithful Christians might not like to see them being worn by a "non-believer" as a fashion item, but that is not the case here.

Edit: I also think that there is nothing more graceful as wearing something around your neck. It is certainly nicer than stuffing it in your pocket.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 16 September 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#13    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,373 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostThomas J, on 16 September 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

They shouldn't be allowed to do that unless it goes the against school policy about clothing and accessories. Rosary Beads aren't meant to be worn anyway.

Edit: Spelling.

I agree, but if worn they should be under clothing, not out.

#14    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

People should be able to wear any religious item if they get comfort from it. When I was a christian I wore stuff and would have been very upset if someone told me not to. Society is becoming less accepting by the day.

#15    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,850 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 16 September 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

So all the nuns wearing rosary beads I saw were doing something inappropriate? I can understand that faithful Christians might not like to see them being worn by a "non-believer" as a fashion item, but that is not the case here.

Edit: I also think that there is nothing more graceful as wearing something around your neck. It is certainly nicer than stuffing it in your pocket.

I'm Roman Catholic and I have never seen a Nun wear Rosary beads round their neck. Were they Catholic Nuns? Here is a link regarding Catholic tradition and the Rosary.

http://anunslife.org...ound-your-neck/

Edited by Star of the Sea, 16 September 2012 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users