Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What renegotiated membership terms of the EU.

keithisco

I just want to start a discussion on the proposed negotiations by Cameron that he will put to the public test in the much vaunted Referendum (should the Tories win) in 2017.

I know some members are just Anti - EU and no amount of re-negotiation will change that viewpoint, others are disparaging of most of the (wrongly) reported "Brussels - Mafia" interferences in UK life. But.. at the moment no - one is telling us what is on the table so perhaps UM Members can help him?

Just a couple of ideas from myself:

1. Opt out of the Common Fisheries Policy (restoring the control of UK Waters to the UK)

2. Opt out of the Common Right to live and Work in any EU Member Country (restoration of Sovereign UK Immigration Control from the EU)

There must be many more ideas out there...

• Like 1

As an outsider looking in.. It seems to me that if the EU wants to be a single nation it should just go ahead and do it in one action... All this "Moving that way one policy at a time" is just going to make it a rougher transistion (IMO)...

Why number two? There are so many British here in Berlin. Poor lads!

Edit: I do not believe in a renegotiation. This would lead to other nations wanting this as well. You are either fully in it, or out.

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 1

Dump everything except a trade agreement and become like Switzerland.

Why number two? There are so many British here in Berlin. Poor lads!

Edit: I do not believe in a renegotiation. This would lead to other nations wanting this as well. You are either fully in it, or out.

I live in Spain, so any withdrawal from the EU would affect me quite considerably... BUT, the point of the topic is to come up with renegotiation terms that are acceptable to the EU and to the UK Public at large when (IF) the referendum is called.

Point 2..A Major issue is the number of East European citizens coming to the UK when all restrictions are dropped Jan 1st 2014. When Poland became a member (without restrictions) the ONS (Office of National Statistics) and based on their data, said only 14,000 Poles would come to UK each year - the reality is that 600,000 Poles came to the UK, so it is a fair point.

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

Dump everything except a trade agreement and become like Switzerland.

Switzerland (and Norway) pay a huge sum of money as an associated Nation, but has absolutely no say in ANY EU Legislation, and it is required to implement most of EU Law. Not a good compromise.

• Like 1

No surprise coming from me, but there is nothing to negotiate. we simply should not be in a political union. the United Kingdom should be fully independent, by all means have trade with europe, be good friends with europe but no way should a foreign entity have any say over British affairs. when you think how close we came to joining the Euro currency. it just shows the lack of political judgment and thankfully Gordon Brown (Chancellor) argued the point and persuaded Tony Blair (prime minister) from joining. now with the fullness of time we've seen what a total disaster it would have been for the UK if we'd have joined the Euro Currency. this is the political tightrope were walking when it comes to Europe.

• Like 2

Yup - out is good. End of.

The problem is going to be - how to get the likes of Camoron and Millipede to wave goodbye to the 'cushy billet' that probably awaits them when the British electorate* kicks their butts out of Westminster!

*Electorate - A word used to denote British citizens during election campaigns. (At all other times they are called 'tax-payers')

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

I am really looking for Re - negotiating tactics and even "Red Lines"... i.e. those powers repatriated to Westminster that MUST be agreed or the Govt will back withdrawal from the EU.

I am not naive enough to believe for 1 second that Cameroon really believes in a referendum and will, most definitely, wriggle out of this one (probably by losing the next General Election).

So please, specific Policy Areas that people out there want to see opt out from...

Probably. If he was so bothered, we'd have a referendum tomorrow and not have to re-elect his party to get what the British people are entitled to. If *they* want Britain to stay in Europe, and they know they won't get a yes vote to stay, then *they* will make sure the Conservatives lose the election.

as your know all three main parties who have the ability of forming a government are Pro EU. we dont stand a cats chance in hell of a referendum. UKIP are the only answer, they are the only political party to have a policy whereby if they got their way they'd all be out of a job. how about that, conviction politicians.