Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientology and the cloak of religion

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Scientology is a religion. Of that there is no doubt.
The U.S. Internal Revenue Service says so, and in this country, that's pretty much the final word.....
But, after reading Lawrence Wright's searing new investigative book, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, my usual indifference has given way to concern.
On second thought, make that fright. And not just about L. Ron Hubbard's secretive army of adherents.
Because Wright's book demonstrates in granular detail what an organization with enough money and zealous acolytes can do once it has wrapped itself in a religious cloak: assault, conspire, burgle, forge, perjure, spy, bully and intimidate anyone who gets in its way.
Convince your flock that they are above earthly laws, and they go about their task with, well, religious ferocity....
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...cientology.html

I am surprised that this book was actually published!   Scientologists usually do get their way, legally or illegally.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

*sigh* ...Scientologists...

Posted Image

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#3    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,909 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

A friend of mine in the late 70's had a father that was a 17th level Thetan, or something like that, and was abandoned by his father to the 'Church' in Florida. At about 15 years old his days consisted of, waking up in the morning, being reeducated, going out onto the street all day to solicit donations or to recruit new members. He'd be rewarded with privileges or better food if he could bring back either, or better yet, both. Then, 'Dinner' (based on how well he did that day), then reeducation, then sleep.

He did it for three years, ran away at 18 and then reconnected to his mother. He's happier now :), but 'religiously' scarred. If you even mention the word 'religion' his blood boils.

#4    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,334 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

I've always believed it's a cult, and I'd like to see them lose their religious exemption.

#5    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostBeany, on 31 January 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

I've always believed it's a cult, and I'd like to see them lose their religious exemption.
:yes: Me, too.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#6    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostBeany, on 31 January 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

It's basically now a religion though sense the 'cult leader' per say died and the church is now run by multiple leaders. Just look at Christianity, in the early days it was considered a cult due to following one man, now though it's just a religion.

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#7    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Scientology is as much a religion as all the "established" religions are. There really is no difference.
Fiction is fiction by any other name.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#8    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 31 January 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

He did it for three years, ran away at 18 and then reconnected to his mother. He's happier now :), but 'religiously' scarred. If you even mention the word 'religion' his blood boils.

That is unfair to those religions which are harmless, and actually benevolent.
While they are all fiction, their content is very different. There is good fiction, and there is lousy fiction.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#9    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 31 January 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

Scientology is as much a religion as all the "established" religions are. There really is no difference.
Fiction is fiction by any other name.

One big difference is Scientology was penned by one man in order to fleece people. Religion is long standing tradition, and be it right or wrong, had a lot to do with our society today. It is not a religion at all the way I see it. The did blackmail their way into religious status after all.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#10    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 31 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

It's basically now a religion though sense the 'cult leader' per say died and the church is now run by multiple leaders. Just look at Christianity, in the early days it was considered a cult due to following one man, now though it's just a religion.

Does that not make trying to pull the same crap in modern times simply disgusting and abhorrent?

Lisa McPherson should have been the end of Scientology.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#11    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 31 January 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

Does that not make trying to pull the same crap in modern times simply disgusting and abhorrent?

Depends on what you define as 'crap.'

Posted Image

#12    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,216 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 31 January 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Depends on what you define as 'crap.'

Scientology.

#13    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 31 January 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

One big difference is Scientology was penned by one man in order to fleece people.

And how is that different from plenty of other religions? Not at all, of course.
That argument does not hold water.

#14    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,216 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 31 January 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

And how is that different from plenty of other religions? Not at all, of course.
That argument does not hold water.

Neither does your post.

All mainstream religions are based on atonement of your own wrongs and helping other people.

Finding your Thetan level!!! and future wives for Tom Cruise are not the same deal.

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

There are some interesting stories from x scientologists out there. Very scary stuff.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users