Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK nuclear power plant gets go-ahead

Still Waters

The government has given the go-ahead for the UK's first new nuclear station in a generation.

France's EDF Energy will lead a consortium, which includes Chinese investors, to build the Hinkley Point C plant in Somerset.

Ministers say the deal will help take the UK towards low-carbon power and lower generating costs in future.

Critics warn guaranteeing the group a price for electricity at twice the current level will raise bills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-24604218

Critics warn guaranteeing the group a price for electricity at twice the current level will raise bills.

That's because EDF will still overcharge us to subsidise France...as they are doing now.

Why do we need investment from the Chinese, we should just stop sending millions in aid money to places like India to fund their space projects, and then we can do it ourselves!!

CAN WE NOT BUILD ANYTHING BRITISH TODAY????!!

• Like 1

That is a question you should have asked Lady Thatcher after she dismantled Britain industrial base.

• Like 2

The Chinese have their fingers in a lot of Pies,we will pay dearly one day.

• Like 4

That's because EDF will still overcharge us to subsidise France...as they are doing now.

Why do we need investment from the Chinese, we should just stop sending millions in aid money to places like India to fund their space projects, and then we can do it ourselves!!

If its cheaper to outsource then it gets outsourced.

I bet some Africans and South Americans are sat around thinking why BP, Shell and Rio Tinto are in their countries. After all cant they extract resources on their own without UK involvement today??? lmao.

Edited by SilentHunter

I bet some Africans and South Americans are sat around thinking why BP, Shell and Rio Tinto are in their countries. After all cant they extract resources on their own without UK involvement today??? lmao.

Nuclear power is the way forward because iit does not run out like coal and petrol will one day.

Britain HAD its own indusries, and please do not compare Britain to Africa, and what countries in Africa are you refeing to?

Edited by freetoroam

That is a question you should have asked Lady Thatcher after she dismantled Britain industrial base.

Many tried.

Britain HAD its own indusries,

We sure did, but you would have to go a long way back to find a time when they were worth talking about in any type of glowing terms. I don't mean going back a few decades either, got to be half a century at least since we made a decent globally attractive product (rather then the components we make now, which we are actually pretty good at).

• Like 1

I wonder why there's not more effort to use geothermal means to generate electricity instead of this highly toxic and dangerous method of nuclear?

http://en.wikipedia....mal_electricity

A little known factoid is that my home city in the Uk (Southampton) leads the world in its use of Geothermal heating and chilling technology:

There is a continued international interest in the scheme as it still leads the way in sustainable energy schemes and is also an excellent example of how public and private organisations can work together.

and this since 1986 - 28 years!!

Link to site: https://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-environment/energy/Geothermal/

We sure did, but you would have to go a long way back to find a time when they were worth talking about in any type of glowing terms. I don't mean going back a few decades either, got to be half a century at least since we made a decent globally attractive product (rather then the components we make now, which we are actually pretty good at).

What components do we make now, apart from chemicals to Syria.

We have 4 British car manufacturers and 11 made in Britain but owned by other countries.

The majority of gas is from Norway and the coal from Russia. we have Coalfield Resources PLC, so why are some still buying from Russia instead of supporting us? I know, I know...its cheaper.

The Chinese have their fingers in a lot of Pies,we will pay dearly one day.

Yeah they want to build a Nuclear plant in England, but still build countless cheap coal fired generators in their own country every year. Is this their idea of carbon offset?

• Like 2

Yeah they want to build a Nuclear plant in England, but still build countless cheap coal fired generators in their own country every year. Is this their idea of carbon offset?

Probably,but you can guarantee that it will run over budget and the cost will be passed on to the consumer.When Maggie privatised the energy industry she certainly ensured that future generations of Consumers would be put to the Sword for the benefit of the Shareholders.

Exploitation springs to mind,withhold the technology and they will let the big Corporate machine roll in and strip their Countries.

What components do we make now, apart from chemicals to Syria.

We have 4 British car manufacturers and 11 made in Britain but owned by other countries.

The majority of gas is from Norway and the coal from Russia. we have Coalfield Resources PLC, so why are some still buying from Russia instead of supporting us? I know, I know...its cheaper.

We are still big in aerospace, medical and science. The depressing part is over half of British companies are foreign owned or invested in now, and just under half our patents are foreign owned now. We don't even own our own national lottery anymore, it's owned by a Canadian pension fund. What a sad state of affairs...

• Like 2

The building of new Nuclear power stations is going to cost. - whichever way we look at it. - yet the UK today has some of the cheapest energy prices in Europe, but we still moan at the price of the bills and rightly so, just think of the manufacturing sector who pays more than us for the utilities.

cheap energy is what fuels the economy, just look at the USA who are fracking their way to success. their imported energy has dropped dramatically and made it cheaper for industry. its no wonder the UK is following the same path. but we're five years behind.

The British have always been a bit rubbish at building nuclear power stations. the French are the market leader i believe, so, if were going to build something as dangerous as a nuclear power station lets get the experts in, lets not cost cut etc...

when it comes to energy security and the future isn't it about time we left the EU and do away with all this going 'green' crap, the UK makes up just 1% of the world population, why do we try to compete with others in showing how green we are. is it a case of national prestige? look at Germany closed/closing its nuclear power plants yet building coal fired power stations and importing energy from across the border in France, which is generated by France's nuclear power stations.

The question as to be why doesnt the UK start building more modern upto date coal fired power stations. (see Germany) we could create a whole new industry, creating thousands of jobs. we have enough coal in the UK for 300 years. lets do the right thing for once, lets fire our economy and create stability for years to come which will have a knock on effect of stabalising peoples bills. because as it stands were at the mercy of the world markets.

• Like 1

We are still big in aerospace, medical and science. The depressing part is over half of British companies are foreign owned or invested in now, and just under half our patents are foreign owned now. We don't even own our own national lottery anymore, it's owned by a Canadian pension fund. What a sad state of affairs...

Yep, it's called global enterprise. I don't think we'll be going back to the good ol' days so you better get used to it.

The building of new Nuclear power stations is going to cost. - whichever way we look at it. - yet the UK today has some of the cheapest energy prices in Europe, but we still moan at the price of the bills and rightly so, just think of the manufacturing sector who pays more than us for the utilities.

cheap energy is what fuels the economy, just look at the USA who are fracking their way to success. their imported energy has dropped dramatically and made it cheaper for industry. its no wonder the UK is following the same path. but we're five years behind.

The British have always been a bit rubbish at building nuclear power stations. the French are the market leader i believe, so, if were going to build something as dangerous as a nuclear power station lets get the experts in, lets not cost cut etc...

when it comes to energy security and the future isn't it about time we left the EU and do away with all this going 'green' crap, the UK makes up just 1% of the world population, why do we try to compete with others in showing how green we are. is it a case of national prestige? look at Germany closed/closing its nuclear power plants yet building coal fired power stations and importing energy from across the border in France, which is generated by France's nuclear power stations.

The question as to be why doesnt the UK start building more modern upto date coal fired power stations. (see Germany) we could create a whole new industry, creating thousands of jobs. we have enough coal in the UK for 300 years. lets do the right thing for once, lets fire our economy and create stability for years to come which will have a knock on effect of stabalising peoples bills. because as it stands were at the mercy of the world markets.

If it were not for your LFC badge, I would vote for you.b0236.gif

• Like 1

Yep, it's called global enterprise. I don't think we'll be going back to the good ol' days so you better get used to it.

Yes I know what it's called and I haven't suggested going backwards.

What always worries me about Power Generation is that it is owned by Private Interest. Power generation is a strategic asset, and as such should be owned by National Interest, and as such, during times of crisis, should not be hostaged to Foreign Power.....IMO