Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Two weeks notice

work quit notice

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Ok.  I just got a new position as a manager in a competibg store.  Because of my sales, when I told my manager I was leaving, he was p***ed.  He tried telling me that my new employer could not have me until I had worked my complete two weeks notice, he informed me it was company policy and I had signed an agreement to this when I was first hired.  I got onto the HR website and found it in writing that I only had to give one weeks notice.  THEN, he cut my hours from 36 per week to 15 for my last week.  So, what I am looking for is input on why we should give notice if we are going to be treated like crap and penalized for leaving?  I did this in good faith and got crapped in.  Anyone else?

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,857 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

You'll find this doesn't happen that much unless you simply have a crappy manager or, as in your case, are working in a sales/commission-based role. Your manager's income is tied to your own - and that is why he is throwing his toys out of his pram. He's being an ass, but he's also aware he is losing income (at least temporarily.)

In your new role as a manager, you might encounter the same situation from the other side of the fence. Remember your current manager's behaviour as an example of how not to act in that circumstance.

Edited to add: Congrats on your new job. Hope it works out really well for you. :tsu:

Edited by Leonardo, 17 September 2013 - 04:11 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,790 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I don't know how things are in Canada, but we have some states here that have "at-will" employment. Basically it's this: "At will employment is generally described as "any hiring is presumed to be 'at will'; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals 'for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all,' and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work."" I live and work in the State of Louisiana which is an at-will state. Of course I've never just walked off a job before, always giving two weeks' notice as you have. I can't imagine doing that unless a working environment became unbearable for my health or safety and the employer ignored it or otherwise refused to do anything about it. Most people I know would do what you did. We do it in good faith and I'm sorry you were crapped on like that. Some managers are just *******s like that and I'm not sure there's much you can do about it other than inform HR that they might want to make sure their managers know the policy.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Giving two weeks notice is completely voluntary, you can't force someone to work at a job that they don't want to. However, it is good form to do so and keeps bridges from being burned. Who knows, you may need them as a reference one day or even need to get re-employed by them if things go south at your new job.

*Edit to add: But your manager sounds like a douche. That is not typical behavior from any reputable employer and it sounds like you would've lost either way. Congrats on the new job.

Edited by PlanB, 17 September 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#5    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thank you, everyone.  I had thought of him as a friend, and a friend would want what is best for you, right?  I just found out that he will get a huge bonusif the sales are high in the last quarter.  I already met a quota for satellite tv sales for the month, so I totally agree that he is watching profit walk out the door, but, wouldn't he want to put me in the max hours to make the most of my sales abilities?  I just find it silly and I am hurt by his actions.  Believe me, I will work at being the best manager ever.

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,822 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

take him to the UN!!!! :clap:

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,790 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 17 September 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

I will work at being the best manager ever.

This is all you can do now. Learning from the actions (or sometimes inactions) of others is what leads to better management. I agree that he should've tried to get the maximum time from you. In fact, if I were in his position and my salary depended on your performance, I might've even doubled your hours in the last week. :P

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#8    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 17 September 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

This is all you can do now. Learning from the actions (or sometimes inactions) of others is what leads to better management. I agree that he should've tried to get the maximum time from you. In fact, if I were in his position and my salary depended on your performance, I might've even doubled your hours in the last week. :P

Lol. Exactly!

#9    keithisco

keithisco

Alien Abducter

• 5,463 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

If HR says just 1 week then that is all they are entitled to get, and all that you are required to give (unless you had an illness :unsure2: for that week). Start your new role a week early (shows tremendous enthusiasm!)  

Congrats on your new position!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

P.S. Do I get commission for saying that? :whistle:

Edited by keithisco, 17 September 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 17 September 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

Ok.  I just got a new position as a manager in a competibg store.  Because of my sales, when I told my manager I was leaving, he was p***ed.  He tried telling me that my new employer could not have me until I had worked my complete two weeks notice, he informed me it was company policy and I had signed an agreement to this when I was first hired.  I got onto the HR website and found it in writing that I only had to give one weeks notice.  THEN, he cut my hours from 36 per week to 15 for my last week.  So, what I am looking for is input on why we should give notice if we are going to be treated like crap and penalized for leaving?  I did this in good faith and got crapped in.  Anyone else?
I was a free agent who put my practice into an office where I paid for rent, supplies etc, and I'm gone from there two years and I'm still paying this *******.
When I gave notice he got p***ed I took a day or two off to work on my new office.
We don't have to give notice in many cases. It's a COURTESY, and if there's a place to complain about his behavior to a higher up for you, I would.
What's he's going to do to you for doing it. Fire you?

Miss me?

#11    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,229 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Just be careful when signing legal documents for any job.  Make certain you read and understand everything.

ONLY you have your best interests at heart.  Not your manager, not Human Resources.

Your boss survived before he met you.  He can survive without you.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#12    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,700 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 17 September 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

If HR says just 1 week then that is all they are entitled to get, and all that you are required to give (unless you had an illness :unsure2: for that week). Start your new role a week early (shows tremendous enthusiasm!)  

Congrats on your new position!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

P.S. Do I get commission for saying that? :whistle:

Lol. Thank you.  After this last job, I don't ever want to work in commission again!

And, Simbi, that is the way I see it, as a courtesy.  It really frustrates me that the manager took it personally.  But, maybe he was mad at himself since he had been promising me full time for months and didn't get me the classification so that I could get full medical and dental.

Little Dreamer, for sure, read what you are signing.  But, this guy blatently lied and tried to bully me with bogus information.  If I was a nasty person I would report him, but, it is a small town and it would get out that I caused trouble...I will just make sure all my electronics customers know where to find me and bring their business over to my new job!

Edited by glorybebe, 20 September 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#13    Scheming B

Scheming B

Adapt to Survive

• 4,317 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

also...

finding his car after you're gone for about a month and throwing slices of balogna all over it, will help you feel much better

Peace does nothing to test strength

Also tagged with work, quit, notice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users