Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season

2012 atlantic hurricane season forecast

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

The official media, top government(NOAA,) and academic forecasts have just been released and look something like this.  

As usual, the statistics seem pretty dry and boring, but perhaps we can liven things up a bit.

After all, this is 2012 and the season is heating up with two named storms already out of the gate, and it's not even opening day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#2    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Now that the 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season has officially arrived, it's time to roll out my forecast here. I promised you that I would liven things up a bit, and I meant that, literally.

I first published my forecast earlier on the WeatherUnderground - April 5, 2012(Post 106.)

In the curious introduction, two butterflies are seen to appear front and center. For those who might have doubted that this was a serious weather forecast, you should know that I can skip a rock to the first two tropical systems that have appeared on the Atlantic canvas. Both Alberto and Beryl were named, exactly front and center with respect to my location. In fact, Beryl's center passed directly over my head, as if to underline the painted paradox for the state of confusion.  

Posted Image

As the arguable accuracy sinks in, and the mood becomes more somber, pay attention to what follows. The butterflies depicted in the sky are different from those that are pinned to the spreading board.

In meteorology school, students are taught to rely at least in part on their intuition. Sometimes it’s all you have, but it’s all a man living in the wilderness, needs.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#3    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Very early for a tropical cyclone in the Atlantic coast, Tropical storm Beryl drenched the Carolinas, Georgia and northern Florida on Memorial Day weekend with lots of rainfall, strong winds and tidal surges in the Jacksonville Beach area. Two down, about 24 to go (hopefully not the total number of storms for the North Atlantic), and Beryl dissipated over the Southeast to begin the season with a downpour of biblical proportions. I'm concerned that Florida may have the most active period of hurricanes in 7 or 8 years, when about 8 of them hit the low-lying peninsular state...not gonna be a good year for Florida in all of its 3 coasts.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#4    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Debby(Deborah) (Hebrew: דְבוֹרָה‎) is a feminine given name derived from זבורה Zhorah, a Hebrew word meaning "bee." Deborah was a heroine and prophetess in the Old Testament Book of Judges.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

The "experts" don't appear to have been counting on all those butterflies flapping their wings in China.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Raptor Witness, 23 June 2012 - 06:12 AM.

#6    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Debby's circulation now covers almost the entire Gulf of Mexico. It will take considerable consolidation of the numerous centers of circulation at the surface to achieve hurricane status. The problem is, several current forecasts say she's got at least four more days to do it. Four days is a lot of time to feed and grow strong, with nothing standing in your way but the U.S. coastline.

Posted Image

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,639 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

Latest estimates have the storm moving almost due east or west from it's position due to the high entrenched over my neck of the woods on the central gulf coast (Mobile,Al.)
Sure hope they have it right.  I hate the damned things and all the mess they cause.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:26 AM

Debby's place in history  - by Dr. Jeff Masters - Weather Underground 6-23-12

Remarkably, Debby's formation on June 23 comes a full two months ahead of the usual formation date of the season's fourth storm in the Atlantic, August 23. Debby's formation beats by twelve days the previous record for formation of the fourth named storm of the year in the Atlantic, set in 2005, when Hurricane Dennis was named on July 5.

Posted Image

Now that history has been officially made on the Atlantic canvas, ask the question ... how many wings does a butterfly have?

"Never before found such a plight ..."

[Post 106. OracleDeAtlantis 7:23 PM GMT on April 05, 2012]

No offense to the science of meteorology, but a butterfly in China can be observed to fly circles around Dr. Gray and his team; and I hear the butterflies in China are choking on U.S.

For upon her wings are the eyes of the earth, seeing the unfolding of every birth.

From above the trees and beyond sky, to the state of confusion what it denies.

Never before found such a plight that befell them that are without sight.

Now see before you the industry of sin, and return by fury the fallacy of men.

#9    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

For at least three days the most reliable forecast models used by weather experts have been curiously split in two halves. Last night on the Weather Channel, Brian Norcross, who is their hurricane expert remarked that he cannot remember a time when the models diverged in such opposite directions for so long, on any storm he has witnessed in all the years he's been forecasting.

So in terms of her model representation, it would appear as if Debby  had wings, yet she continues to fly slowly right up the center of the most widely used forecast models.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Raptor Witness, 24 June 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#10    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

The prediction of the development of storms is all well and good, but I will be more impressed when they can predict how many will hit US shores.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#11    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Debby has turned into a "torrential bee."

Posted Image

#12    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,627 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

Oh well, life in paradise.  Debby is just a rain maker. Lots of flooding around, but I need to go to the store.  Back stroke.....

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#13    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

Debby is pulling a fast one, with her lower level circulation heading southeast, while her top gets ripped off and heads northeast.

On another subject, the National Hurricane Center is monitoring an organizing low pressure in the Central Atlantic, which spun off Africa a few days ago. It's a little early for the Cape Verde season, but the way this year is beginning, I wouldn't count anything out.

If the butterflies that are attached to the spreading board in my forecast, are like Deborah, the uninsured losses could be in the hundreds of billions this year for U.S. residents. So it might be a good time to study your FEMA flood zone maps, and buy a flood policy if you're in a marginal risk area. I would double the area that these maps show, in terms of risk. So if you're looking at the map, and see you're next to an area at risk, double the distance from the source. So if it's a river, just use a ruler and multiply by two. If you live near the beach, and you see the 500 year flood zone reaching  four inches inland on the map, buy flood insurance if you're up to eight inches inland.  Don't rely on your mortgage company to see into their crystal ball, because as we saw with hurricane Katrina, the flood zone maps are outdated.

Posted Image

Edited by Raptor Witness, 27 June 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#14    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,294 posts

• ראה

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

A low pressure area that just moved off of Africa is headed west, and appears the most impressive that I've seen so far this season.

It looks like a real buzz saw, headed for some timber.

Posted Image

#15    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,806 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

I'm new to living in a possible hurricane's path and this report came out about a month ago for our new home: Houston/Harris county.

According to the analysis by Civil Tech Engineering, a Category 4 hurricane moving northwest at 10 mph would cause $309 billion in property damage and $65 billion in business interruptions.
The study predicts nearly 800,000 homes in Harris County would be severely damaged or destroyed - 80 percent of the total housing stock - along with 50,000 commercial buildings.
"That's just wind damage," said Melvin Spinks, president of Houston-based Civil Tech. "It doesn't include flooding from rain or surge."

Edited by QuiteContrary, 07 July 2012 - 01:23 AM.

Also tagged with 2012, atlantic, hurricane, season, forecast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users