Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Munchkin Hangs himself in Wizard of Oz movie

Broken Episode

So I remember my sister first telling me about this, apparently during the filming of the Wizard of Oz, the munchkins were treated like crap and stuffed into one small trailor where they awaited there scenes in the Wizard of oz, while Dorthy had her huge glamorous trailor and pretty much stepped all over the little people.

ANYWAYS, the legend goes that one munchkin was so unhappy with it and with his life at the time that he actualy went and hung himself during the end of the forest scene and it was captured on tape and used in the final print.

I have examined the video many times and it looks very questionable, it could be a dwarf hanging himself, or a type of animal in the background, some kind of goose or ostrage(idk how to spell that).

There is some information on it from this site, which classifys it as fake, but I was wondering what you guys think?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• American Chupacabra

• Broken Episode

• Lucid Mark

• AstroForce

I've watched that a few times in the past, and it always looked pretty obviously like a bird to me.

I've watched that a few times in the past, and it always looked pretty obviously like a bird to me.

Yea...im leaning more towards that too, its fun to think otherwise though

I always thought it was a forgotten prop from another scene.

I always thought it was a forgotten prop from another scene.

Nah its deffinitly something moving, just not sure what

I always thought that the movement was just a stage hand who was where he wasn't supposed to be.

But in a morbid way it's sort of funny to believe the legend

:D

Am going to make the same comment about something swinging. Have no idea what it is, even though have heard this rumor for years and believed it, but it doesn't look like a bird.

There's been threads on this before and it's dismissed on www.snopes.com.

Believe it or not I actually STUDIED this in US History, pertaining to all the Bimetalism issues with the movie. But I definitley thinks a bird, when I first saw it my teacher freaked me out with it, but then I watched it for myself.

• 7 months later...
So I remember my sister first telling me about this, apparently during the filming of the Wizard of Oz, the munchkins were treated like crap and stuffed into one small trailor where they awaited there scenes in the Wizard of oz, while Dorthy had her huge glamorous trailor and pretty much stepped all over the little people.

ANYWAYS, the legend goes that one munchkin was so unhappy with it and with his life at the time that he actualy went and hung himself during the end of the forest scene and it was captured on tape and used in the final print.

I have examined the video many times and it looks very questionable, it could be a dwarf hanging himself, or a type of animal in the background, some kind of goose or ostrage(idk how to spell that).

There is some information on it from this site, which classifys it as fake, but I was wondering what you guys think?

It's a peacock. This was on TV a couple months ago. The Munchkins weren't even in California yet because the sceen was filmed before they were. Although the legend also says there is one in another sceen, but I don't remember where.

Edit: Yes, I do remember. The one that was on TV is the part that happened right after Dorothy oiled the tin man and they went skipping down the road. The other one (Which I haven't ever noticed) happens after the Cowardly Lion joins the group.

Edited by American Chupacabra

I remember hearing something about the second one. . . But I never really knew where it was supposed to be.

Some website did a close up on the "swinging" thing in the background, and it did look really weird. Come on guys, wheres that ever-endearing UM conspiracy attitude? Of course a munchkin hung himself. Do you really think they'd come out and tell us the truth? No! They'd try to cover it up as hard as they could!

Seriously, though. . .I don't think they'd be daft enough to use the take in the final cut if someone DID hang themselves in the background. That'd just be poor decision making on someone's part. It is a fun story though (how morbid am I?). I'll try to find the website where it shows a closeup. It really does look weird. .but I highly doubt it's a dead munchkin.

I just watched the video and it looked like a birds wing...Couldn't be any worse then those "flying monkeys"... :rolleyes:

I remember hearing something about the second one. . . But I never really knew where it was supposed to be.

Some website did a close up on the "swinging" thing in the background, and it did look really weird. Come on guys, wheres that ever-endearing UM conspiracy attitude? Of course a munchkin hung himself. Do you really think they'd come out and tell us the truth? No! They'd try to cover it up as hard as they could!

Seriously, though. . .I don't think they'd be daft enough to use the take in the final cut if someone DID hang themselves in the background. That'd just be poor decision making on someone's part. It is a fun story though (how morbid am I?). I'll try to find the website where it shows a closeup. It really does look weird. .but I highly doubt it's a dead munchkin.

It was on the TV Land mysteries show or something. The Muchkins didn't even come to California to start filming for a couple of weeks after that scene was shot. And if you look at it it really looks like a peacock, I mean come on! I agree, why would they keep a cut with a suicidal Munchkin in it?

Dudes. It's a bird. Come on.

Sure it's fun and creepy to think otherwise, but it is a bird.

There are other movie ''hauntings'' in classics though. Like the ''face'' in the Godfather or the ''ghost'' in Three men and a Baby. And all of them have been proved wrong (though the 3 men and a Baby page on Snopes doesn't really convince me).

While this thread is still open, here is a close-up version someone put up on youtube awhile ago

It's 100% a bird spreading it's wings. No dead munchkin (thank god)

I don't know what it is, but either way birds and munchkins are both delicious.

I don't know what it is, but either way birds and munchkins are both delicious.

That's just wrong

It's definitely a bird, and I have heard this story before.

One of which the would be hanged munchkin supposedly had a break up with his little girlfriend munchkin and he took it really bad and hung himself.

But as I said earlier it's untrue and the thing in the background is one of the many exotic birds that was put on set to make the place look more like a fantasy world.

It's definitely a bird, and I have heard this story before.

One of which the would be hanged munchkin supposedly had a break up with his little girlfriend munchkin and he took it really bad and hung himself.

But as I said earlier it's untrue and the thing in the background is one of the many exotic birds that was put on set to make the place look more like a fantasy world.

That's what I've been trying to say. Never-the-less, it does make a fun Urban Legend.

It is true that it made a good urban legend and it actually has been somewhat long lived for something that the Oz personnel have already debunked with actual video. The reason I believe it was so fun and has lasted for so long is because the show and or movie itself was very well known through out the world. As it is news travels fast and some parts and not so fast in others. Living room for this legend to resurface again and again.

When yougo to that part of the movie and watch the part that is supposed to be the suicide, you'll notice that it's hard to see much of anything there, let alone actually make out a human form. What I don;t get is how someone found that one little set of of frames and then making that out of it. I would've never even seent he bird if someone hadn't made a big productin out f it being a suicide.

On the other hand, what does that say about all of us that went to the movie and looked for a lovestruck dwarf hanging himself. WE are sick, all of us, me included.

Did it ever occur to anyone that this was supposed to be the witch spying on them? Or that it might have been some accident on the set but it LOOKED like the witch spying on them so they left it? In that one closeup veiw, it DOES look like a peacock, but I still say it might have been intended to be the witch.