Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this true for christians?

everwonder

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian 10 -You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours. 9 -You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt. 8 -You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God. 7 -Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees! 6 -You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky. 5 -You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old. 4 -You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs --though excluding those in all rival sects -will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving." 3 -While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity. 2 -You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God. 1 -You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history -but still call yourself a Christian.

*SOURCE - Please keep in mind that when quoting websites you need to cite all sources, thank you ~ PA

What's ur thought on these or is it totaly wrong?

Edited by Paranoid Android

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Walker

• fullywired

• Paranoid Android

• Beckys_Mom

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian 10 -You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours. 9 -You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt. 8 -You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God. 7 -Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees! 6 -You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky. 5 -You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old. 4 -You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs --though excluding those in all rival sects -will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving." 3 -While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity. 2 -You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God. 1 -You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history -but still call yourself a Christian.

No thoughts here.. Just rules ignored.

Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed. Several of the topics in this section cover some sensitive areas and it is important to respect the views of others; this means no flaming, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks. We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others.

I'm not among the so called "fundamentalists" I guess because I don't have anger for people of other beliefs. I exercise discernment when their belief system threatens my life, though. I do get a bit peeved when people post things like this with the obvious intention of mindlessly pushing buttons. I guess it makes me wonder why people who disbelieve, or consider my faith in Christ as akin to a child believing in a fairytale, bother to take the time to explain to me my error. What purpose does it serve in their life? In fact, why does it matter to them at all other than to serve as some kind of sport or amusement?

The one thing that I know with absolute certainty is that we are all on the way to the grave eventually. The only thing of any real importance that any of us can accomplish is to ease the burdens of our brothers while we're making the trip. By accepting and striving to live Christ's message, however imperfectly, we leave a better legacy than any who only add to the strife and ill will in this world.

So what about you? Do you?...everwonder?

I see no bashing, only a list of things I wanted opinions and thoughts on from other religious point of views, and or people with no religion

I have no religion, I am neutral on all subjects and do not poke fun at religion of any kind. Just curious as to why why some do.. I believe in a creater of everything, but totaly different then what most people would believe.

I have no religion, and even I am offended.

Maby I'm in the wrong forum

Maybe..... BTW I forgot to welcome you to UM, everwonder. It's a great place to discuss things, argue and generally have a good time. Hope you enjoy the company :)

Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed. Several of the topics in this section cover some sensitive areas and it is important to respect the views of others; this means no flaming, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks. We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others.

are you a forum moderator by any chance?

there is nothing in that post that i haven't read countless times before from many different members in many different ways here in the forums, so i don't see what you're on about.

in response to the OP - i don't find your post hateful, i think it's a fair comparison. your delivery could have been different perhaps

this from a former fundamentalist bapist who does not take offense to the truth.

Edited by JGirl

Just my two cents,but the OP describes fanatics.

They annoy everyone,even tolerant Christians.

Any one religion,that claims to be the only "correct" one,is just an arrogant .

*shrugs*

Considering how many people have died in the name of religion,this kind of mentality,is common.

Sad that.

I see no bashing, only a list of things I wanted opinions and thoughts on from other religious point of views, and or people with no religion

Kind of looks that way, but no biggee, I see what you mean.

Yeah, the thing that bothers me about Christianity the most is hypocrisy.

Take the West Boro Basptist Church for example.

Now they running around saying God hates fags, God hates queers etc.. Ask them what they would do about it according to

scripture and I bet the answer would be stone them to death, seeing thier hatred.

Now ask them about adultry, and what scriptures say to do about that too. Answer would probably be stone to death, according

to old testament scriptures.

And what did Jesus say about Adultry?

Joh 8:4

They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

Joh 8:5

Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

Joh 8:6

This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

Joh 8:7

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Looks like no one will be stoning anyone, adulterer or homosexual.

What really bothers me about other religions, is telling me my religion is wrong. If I believe in it, so what. However I don't run around and

tell other religions theirs is wrong, neither do I bash them.

Jews tell me, God is one, God cannot be a man, yet:

Deu_6:4

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Isa_9:6

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Yet Islam tells me: Allah hath begotten no son, yet see above scripture, and that the scriptures are written by men, except of course any scripture

that might of course, refer to Mohammed. anything else is invalid.

Even a lot of Christians deny the trinity, yet:

Joh_1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh_10:30

I and my Father are one.

1Jn_5:7

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

But, whatever.

are you a forum moderator by any chance?

there is nothing in that post that i haven't read countless times before from many different members in many different ways here in the forums, so i don't see what you're on about.

in response to the OP - i don't find your post hateful, i think it's a fair comparison. your delivery could have been different perhaps

this from a former fundamentalist bapist who does not take offense to the truth.

No, I'm not a moderator, but like you said, it could have been presented a little better. However I do see what he means, regardless. Sorry OP :)

Speaking of Rules ignored:

5i. Rule quoting: Do not quote the site rules to other members, if you believe the rules have been broken please hit the 'report' button. ~ Site Rules (link)

As for this thread, I think the "Top 10" list might be a tad confrontational (what do you expect from a site called "evilbible.com"), but not actually directly disrespectful. Religious fundamentalism refers to a very small number of actual believers, regardless of what belief or non-belief that might be. I can actually see some of this reflected in some people (not all Christians, or all religious folk, but some).

~ Regards,

Edited by Paranoid Android

The answer to the question "Is this true for christians?" is, of course, no. It may be for a few various sects, but to assume that those sects are representative of all is like saying that (for instance) a gun-toting redneck is representative of all Americans.

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

10 -You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 -You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 -You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 -Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 -You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 -You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 -You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs --though excluding those in all rival sects -will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 -While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 -You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 -You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history -but still call yourself a Christian.

*SOURCE - Please keep in mind that when quoting websites you need to cite all sources, thank you ~ PA

It may not be true for all Christians (or those who claim they are), but I think it's true for most Christian fundamentalists. And there are more than enough of those.

:tu:

The OP is just a constructed stereotype designed to either inflame or amuse but not clever enough to do either very well. :devil:

I know many people who would consider themselves biblical based christians. (the term fundamentalist is almost never used in regard to such christians in australia although technically it is accurate in that they hold to the fundamental truths of the bible.)

They believe in creation and a real interventionist god. I admit none of them are americans but none go any where near the image portrayed in the OP. I suspect thats because it is so sterotypical it doesnt exist in real life.

They are loving, caring, giving, kind, and friendly, people.

They dont necessarily care what other people believe although they might feel mildly sorry for nonbelievers.

They dont believe in evolution but dont feel insulted by those who say they are descended from primates, just think them a bit funny to hold such an odd idea :devil: .

They dont laugh at anyones beliefs, although they might, again, feel sad for people who have no belief in anything.

They love people and are peaceful folk, and so they get upset at any deaths/killings, especially the young and innocent, and particularly the youngest and most innocent, the unborn.

They chose a belief based life, based on spiritual wisdoms. They acknolwedge the beliefs and wisdoms of all spiritual based life, even if they dont always agree with the particulars of difernt beliefs.

They believe the earth is 6000 years old. Scientific ideas come second to belief, because belief is more integral to their existence. It doent really matter to a spiritual based person how old the earth is, but ones happiness and spiritual well being is essential. They have very different basic priorities about life.

The biblically based christians i know, realise the bible says that at our death we go to sleep. We are awakened on the judgement days. Some will die a second death of body and soul, some will have eternal life. None will go to hell for eternity. That is Not bibilical.

They are logical enough not to confuse material evidences and spiritual evidences, or compare chalk and cheese. :devil:

For them, god always answers their prayers. That is 100% success rate. :innocent: Because they have faith in god, they accept that those answers can come in differnt forms.

They have actually read the bible dozens of times. Many study it for an hour or two every, day both formally and informally. Taking notes, cross referencing different versions, checking concordances, maps and dictionaries . They question and seek answers to pieces they dont understand. Some have been doing this for many decades. I suspect they know more about the bible and its intricacies, languages, symbologies, social contexts, and writers, etc., than almost all atheists. Many have online capabilities to check different languages and interpretations of the bible.

They meet in groups, take online lessons, and study by themselves. Many make comparative studies of religions and have a good working knowledge, not just of many forms of christianity, but of all the world's religions, because faith, spirituality and religion, is a passion for them, like stamp collecting.

Like me, most of them wouldn't recognise the sterotype presented in the OP.

Edited by Mr Walker

One of the things that escapes a number of non-Christians is that there are many, many different variations of Christian belief, and not all of the beliefs are equivalent. Consider the Lifesavers candy: it's incorrect to say that ALL Lifesavers are cherry, or all are peppermint. Likewise, not all Christians are identical in their beliefs.

Speaking as one who has been active in Christian leadership for 35 years, and interacted with numerous denominations, I would say that those who we could consider to be 'fundamentalist' are not the majority of believers. Additionally, for example, not all Christians are the rolling-on-the-floor type.

Are there Christians out there who I would consider to be far out on the fringes of belief? Sure. I once made the acquaintance of a gentleman who said he was visited by an angel who told him that God's real personal name is Chakoa. I found his experience to be questionable, but I didn't berate him about it.

Christians who consider themselves as normal guys and who believe that the OP was stereotyping can put themselves to the test by running through the ten points and asking themselves ,is this what I believe and add their score at the end ,What would you think a good score should be for the good guys?

fullywired

:w00t:

:tu::lol:

Christians who consider themselves as normal guys and who believe that the OP was stereotyping can put themselves to the test by running through the ten points and asking themselves ,is this what I believe and add their score at the end ,What would you think a good score should be for the good guys?

fullywired

Since you bring it up, I'll share my thoughts. Without going into complete detail of each question (I can give you further details via PM if you like as to how I came to this score), I score myself somewhere between 2-2.5/10 (based on each question being worth 1 point, and possibly less depending on how relevant it is to my belief) What do YOU think a good score should be for the "good guys"? Edited by Paranoid Android

After re-reading the list, I think I would replace the word 'Fundamentalist' with 'insecure' or possibly 'shallow.'

I'm not among the so called "fundamentalists" I guess because I don't have anger for people of other beliefs. I exercise discernment when their belief system threatens my life, though. I do get a bit peeved when people post things like this with the obvious intention of mindlessly pushing buttons. I guess it makes me wonder why people who disbelieve, or consider my faith in Christ as akin to a child believing in a fairytale, bother to take the time to explain to me my error. What purpose does it serve in their life? In fact, why does it matter to them at all other than to serve as some kind of sport or amusement?

The one thing that I know with absolute certainty is that we are all on the way to the grave eventually. The only thing of any real importance that any of us can accomplish is to ease the burdens of our brothers while we're making the trip. By accepting and striving to live Christ's message, however imperfectly, we leave a better legacy than any who only add to the strife and ill will in this world.

So what about you? Do you?...everwonder?

Well said, and then! I take issue with the bolded items also. I just don't understand why? Can't we just all get along? I'm not "fundamentalist" & certainly not a perfect example of a Christian. Why should anyone be singled out and picked on over what they believe?

The OP is just a constructed stereotype designed to either inflame or amuse but not clever enough to do either very well. :devil:

I know many people who would consider themselves biblical based christians. (the term fundamentalist is almost never used in regard to such christians in australia although technically it is accurate in that they hold to the fundamental truths of the bible.)

They believe in creation and a real interventionist god. I admit none of them are americans but none go any where near the image portrayed in the OP. I suspect thats because it is so sterotypical it doesnt exist in real life.

They are loving, caring, giving, kind, and friendly, people.

They dont necessarily care what other people believe although they might feel mildly sorry for nonbelievers.

They dont believe in evolution but dont feel insulted by those who say they are descended from primates, just think them a bit funny to hold such an odd idea :devil: .

They dont laugh at anyones beliefs, although they might, again, feel sad for people who have no belief in anything.

They love people and are peaceful folk, and so they get upset at any deaths/killings, especially the young and innocent, and particularly the youngest and most innocent, the unborn.

They chose a belief based life, based on spiritual wisdoms. They acknolwedge the beliefs and wisdoms of all spiritual based life, even if they dont always agree with the particulars of difernt beliefs.

They believe the earth is 6000 years old. Scientific ideas come second to belief, because belief is more integral to their existence. It doent really matter to a spiritual based person how old the earth is, but ones happiness and spiritual well being is essential. They have very different basic priorities about life.

The biblically based christians i know, realise the bible says that at our death we go to sleep. We are awakened on the judgement days. Some will die a second death of body and soul, some will have eternal life. None will go to hell for eternity. That is Not bibilical.

They are logical enough not to confuse material evidences and spiritual evidences, or compare chalk and cheese. :devil:

For them, god always answers their prayers. That is 100% success rate. :innocent: Because they have faith in god, they accept that those answers can come in differnt forms.

They have actually read the bible dozens of times. Many study it for an hour or two every, day both formally and informally. Taking notes, cross referencing different versions, checking concordances, maps and dictionaries . They question and seek answers to pieces they dont understand. Some have been doing this for many decades. I suspect they know more about the bible and its intricacies, languages, symbologies, social contexts, and writers, etc., than almost all atheists. Many have online capabilities to check different languages and interpretations of the bible.

They meet in groups, take online lessons, and study by themselves. Many make comparative studies of religions and have a good working knowledge, not just of many forms of christianity, but of all the world's religions, because faith, spirituality and religion, is a passion for them, like stamp collecting.

Like me, most of them wouldn't recognise the sterotype presented in the OP.

:tu::tu::tu: Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

I just looked at that site a few days ago and thought about making a topic, I do think christians are like that^.

Since you bring it up, I'll share my thoughts. Without going into complete detail of each question (I can give you further details via PM if you like as to how I came to this score), I score myself somewhere between 2-2.5/10 (based on each question being worth 1 point, and possibly less depending on how relevant it is to my belief) What do YOU think a good score should be for the "good guys"?

I think there is a modicum of truth in all the points,so if someone was declare that it was all bunkum,they would cancel themselves out as Christians and remember we are talking of Christian beliefs not a selected edition of it ,I think a minimum of 4 points is required to qualify as a Christian

fullywired