Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Fourth Amendment?

supervike

I understand the Boston Marathon bombings caused some serious panic, and rightfully so.

But, I'm wondering if the Fourth Amendment was trampled on, ignored, or actually kept in place during the manhunt.

If it was ignored, was it justified?

http://www.businessinsider.com/images-of-swat-teams-in-boston-2013-4

http://ohsnapski.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/boston-searches-and-the-fourth-amendment/

What would have happened if you didn't comply with a search request?

Honestly, is the constitution that easily bended?

Here's a news story and video that shows some pretty ham handed tactics. Looks like it took 12 guys to do a house and then pat them all down. Is it really necessary to roust everyone out of their homes just because of one wounded kid with limited ammo? Didn't they have a picture of the suspect? Why the unnecessary aggressive approach against everyone?

Edited by redhen
  • Like 2

I understand the Boston Marathon bombings caused some serious panic, and rightfully so.

But, I'm wondering if the Fourth Amendment was trampled on, ignored, or actually kept in place during the manhunt.

If it was ignored, was it justified?

http://www.businessi...n-boston-2013-4

http://ohsnapski.wor...urth-amendment/

Honestly, is the constitution that easily bended?

Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to do one myself.

This is beyond the pale of what is acceptable. Although you have to remember that it happened in the liberal paradise known as massachusetts. I wonder what it might have looked like if they tried this tactic in a more...red area of the country. An area that has ...balls.

• Like 2

To force people from their homes by gunpoint, is something our forefathers would have railed against. This is completely against the constitution and everything it stands for!

• Like 4

My guess is that had someone stood on their rights they would have been bulldozed. Possibly even shot for resisting. I think THAT is where we are today.

• Like 3

Fear makes people do illrathonal thing's . :unsure2:

A copy and paste what I posted on a liveleak thread. It's not a violation when you allow entrance which most of these fools did. Now if someone opened a window and talked to the soldiers and they demanded they get access and break down the door then it's absolutely a violation and the homeowners deserve compensation and the soldiers deserve disciplinary actions.

Edited by iNvRG

To force people from their homes by gunpoint, is something our forefathers would have railed against. This is completely against the constitution and everything it stands for!

unles they were Injuns!
  • Like 2

unles they were Injuns!

Indigenous peoples always are a bother aren't they? :)
  • Like 1

Keep in mind Supervike, that the 4th was effectively nullified by the Patriot Act, at the sacrificial altar of the Global War On Terror. People have been conditioned for more than 10 years now to think that the government can do as it pleases as long as "terror" is invoked.

That is the philosophical psychological conditioning, brainwashing, propaganda.

Where the "rubber meets the road" part of that effort happened in Boston. Not just talking about it, the state ACTUALLY, and for the first time I think, went around and systematically violated both the spirit and the letter of the 4th.

As Kissinger said way back when, "the illegal we can do right now, the unconstitutional takes longer"

It is a conditioning process, step by step.

Sad situation for this country.

• Like 4

Nothing. I know the family of a couple of people that live within a block of where the police say the guy was found in the boat. The people that live in the area were asked if they minded if the police or military could come in and look around. Some freely let them in and others did not. The ones that didn't were asked a few questions and then left alone.

I don't know what the circumstances were in that video where the FBI made everyone come out with their hands up, but it certainly wasn't the norm.

• Like 4

Yeah I heard those going door to door were polite and always asked permission to search a house. That there were only a few cases of them being more forceful due to tips or some kind of connections to the case.

• Like 1

Some of my like minded compatriots might disagree but given the circumstances what other options did the FBI have to try and catch him fast? If he was being sheltered and this search didn't take place how long if ever before they caught him. Also, they lifted the lockdown before they knew where he was, IIRC. So they didn't overstay their welcome either. It all seemed reasonable. I was ready to be concerned if it lasted more than one day though.

• Like 1

Nothing. I know the family of a couple of people that live within a block of where the police say the guy was found in the boat. The people that live in the area were asked if they minded if the police or military could come in and look around. Some freely let them in and others did not. The ones that didn't were asked a few questions and then left alone.

I don't know what the circumstances were in that video where the FBI made everyone come out with their hands up, but it certainly wasn't the norm.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was after. Appreciate the reply.

• Like 1

Yes, as long as the authorities are polite when ignoring the Bill Of Rights, everything is just fine!

Yes, as long as the authorities are polite when ignoring the Bill Of Rights, everything is just fine!

But they weren't ignoring the BoR. They were upholding it. They asked if they could search inside, if someone said "no" they said "rightio".

Ignoring the BoR would be if someone said "no" and they then used a doorbuster and stormed in.

• Like 5

Thank you, that is exactly what I was after. Appreciate the reply.

You're welcome.

Were they asked if it would be ok to put guns in thier faces, and be physicaly searched hands on head like a common prisoner? I doubt it wasnt the norm.

But they weren't ignoring the BoR. They were upholding it. They asked if they could search inside, if someone said "no" they said "rightio".

Ignoring the BoR would be if someone said "no" and they then used a doorbuster and stormed in.

I certainly hope you're right about that, but am dubious.

The Fourth Amendment doesn't exist in 'emergency situations'.

If I lived in Boston I surely would have declined armed police from entering my home.

If they wanted to arrest me for it, well, then I'd probably just use my story to highlight the authoritarianism.

Edited by Kafkaesque
  • Like 1

The Fourth Amendment doesn't exist in 'emergency situations'.

almost every situation involving police is emergency situation, so when does 4th amendment valid then?

almost every situation involving police is emergency situation, so when does 4th amendment valid then?

I meant national emergency.

Were they asked if it would be ok to put guns in thier faces, and be physicaly searched hands on head like a common prisoner? I doubt it wasnt the norm.

I said I don't know the particular circumstances the FBI went in like they did in this one house. There were a lot of people in there and they could have heard or seen something that made them suspicious. Someone who lives at the address could have had a warrant out for them. We will probably never know. I do know for a fact they didn't do this at every house.

Edited by Michelle

and who declares it??? i don't remember potus declaring national emergency,

No, but he declared exigent circumstances.