Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Non-believers, why do you post here ?

Simbi Laveau

I was just reading this thread , http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=242661 ,and it makes one ponder ,WHY .

The title of this forum ,is UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES ,and each sub forum has a very definative title as well.

Why,if you do not believe in anything unexplained ,occult ,mysterious or conspiracy ,why do any of the non believers post and come to this forum then .

Why don't you all post in a forum for people who think people who are believers , are just all delusional .

And I'm not trying to start flame wars ,but it begs the question ,are people who post in forum for things they do NOT believe in ,only posting to creat trouble ,belittle others ,or be a troll ....

If you're a non believer ,what do you get out of a forum for unexplained mysteries ?

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 9

This question has been asked and answered a 1000 times on this site. We are here because we have an interest in these topics just like you.

I can just as easily ask why believers post here and not on a forum for people who believe like you. If all you want is blind agreement why not post on a forum with only believers?

Do you really just want a bunch of people just agreeing with you all the time? "Yep that's a ghost" "Yeah I see it too" "OMG I had the same thing happen to me." That would get old real fast, and I would bet that after only a short while some people would start wishing that some of the non believers would come back.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 6

Great thread Simbi. :tu:

I realy wish to see answers of some sceptics then I will respond.

Seriously....Great thread. Its one of those threads: "Emperor has no clothes."

Edited by the L
  • Like 2

One of the biggest issues is people posting and wanting a paranormal answer, when there is usually an obvious and logical explanation. I'd love to believe in a lot of the crap that gets thrown around these boards but I'm not the kind of person to roll over and take your word for it if there is a more logical explanation.

Edit: Yes the site is called Unexplained Mysteries - but it is also a discussion board. If you want everyone to agree with you and believe every crazy thing you say then you're in the wrong place, not the people who question you.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 4

are people who post in forum for things they do NOT believe in ,only posting to creat trouble ,belittle others ,or be a troll ....

Is this not the same: People posting topics about the paranormal, claiming things are absolute and 100% true, but they are not able to provide a shred of credible evidence.

• Like 4

I think there are sceptics here who knows a lot and want to spread knowledge and in the same time they are curious. But there are also some who cures they complexes by attacking peoples with idea. Like they are on some kind of agenda. Propaganda. Surpression plan. Like they dont want to some questions to be discussed. I start to think on few members before that they came from similar site such as UM (although that doesnt exist) and try to ruin conversation.

Also there are many sceptics who are not sceptics at all. They hide behind sceptic mask.

Edited by the L
  • Like 2

This question has been asked and answered a 1000 times on this site. We are here because we have an interest in these topics just like you.

I can just as easily ask why believers post here and not on a forum for people who believe like you. If all you want is blind agreement why not post on a forum with only believers?

Do you really just want a bunch of people just agreeing with you all the time? "Yep that's a ghost" "Yeah I see it too" "OMG I had the same thing happen to me." That would get old real fast, and I would bet that after only a short while some people would start wishing that some of the non believers would come back.

Yes,I come to this forum to talk with like minded people. I don't go to sleptic forums to berate people who do not share my views.

Being attacked for my beliefs and ideas ,in a place that is supposed to be for like minded people ,gets very tedious .

I don't like being told ,I don't have enough education to make the statements I make. I don't like being told I'm a liar,delluded or need to see a psychiatrist .

Again,if you don't agree with people to come to a forum to talk about these topics,as the title of the forum states,why bother coming,except to do a superiority routine on others ?

Is this not the same: People posting topics about the paranormal, claiming things are absolute and 100% true, but they are not able to provide a shred of credible evidence.

If this forum is to discuss the unexplained ,why does anyone have to show proof . And then why do you post here.

The forum isn't ,,DEBUNK unexplained mysteries ,its unexplained mysteries .

One of the biggest issues is people posting and wanting a paranormal answer, when there is usually an obvious and logical explanation. I'd love to believe in a lot of the crap that gets thrown around these boards but I'm not the kind of person to roll over and take your word for it if there is a more logical explanation.

Edit: Yes the site is called Unexplained Mysteries - but it is also a discussion board. If you want everyone to agree with you and believe every crazy thing you say then you're in the wrong place, not the people who question you.

It's discussion ,of unexplained mysteries . Why would skeptics want to post at all ?

Again,I do not do to debunk occult forums ,to pose opposite arguments . It seems to defeat the purpose of why I come to forum ,unless I just want to be a trouble maker,and call people an idiot because they don't share my views.

All the skeptics on this forum ,repeatedly chortle and pat on another on the back ..

"Ha ha,yeah ...show proof of that ! "

"Haha ,you conspiracy nuts are so nuts "

Ha ha ,you believe in demons,go see a doctor now ! "

That's not discussion ,at all. It attacking someone for their ideas and beliefs .....

?????

Why is the thread about who's the biggest conspiracy nut ,ok ...but this thread is not ?

Its ok to mock conspiracy theorists ,but not ok to mock people who all claim to be the voices of reason ,for everyone.

And if this topic has been posted before,please post the old threads .

I would like to see what people have said before .

Because I'm curious about things I do not know/understand.

This makes sense. Going to understand why people believe what they do ,and maybe learn something ,even if its not your belief system .

Its really wierd to me too because a lot of skeptics spend a lot of time here. And its not like they question some things that could be a bump in the dark, they challenge things that are spelled out really clearly. Some have said : I experienced unexplained things but I still dont believe it and there is no other logical explaination for what happened. This is probably the majority of the cases that stick around they probably are adament about disproving what happened to themselves and so feel the need to disproove everyone else. For the skeptics who dont believe anything at all and truly had no experiences? I don't know what thier interest is.. maybe its entertaining like watching tv or playing video games or something. To say: this is an open discussion, what, you want everybody to believe you or something? That doesn't answer the question about why a person is so attracted to trying to discredit paranormal experiences.

• Like 1

I do think there is, as I've remarked before, quite a difference between proper skepticism - not believeing everything automatically without some proof to back it up, but being willing to remain open minded and willing to consider new or unusual ideas - and blanket kneejerk denial, which some people, I think, do do. I think there are some people who do seem to see it as their mission to persuade everyone that there are no supernatural phenomena at all, and that what they like to call "Science" has the answers to everything (although their idea of science is really just the opposite of science, since science is all about exploring new ideas and new possibilities, and considering all evidence without any preconceptions). These people sometimes wear the badge of "Debunker" as a badge of pride, which says all you need to know about their view of anything supernatural- that they've alreadty decided it's all bunk. They sometimes remind me rather of the more angry and miltant kind of atheist, who not only believe that there is no God, but insist on trying to force their views on everyone else.

• Like 1

in a world of people who have not a moments question about their god , their job , or political ideas... why they come here is quite a good question .

i do not fit in a good church . i have not worked a day in 40 years ( although my boss thinks what i do as play , needs pay to be done with good results) ... people openly call me strange , and i have no disagreement .

i snuggle up to some one who disagrees with me enought to argue well... but frankly... normal people can take a long walk off a short pier ... i do not need or care what they think .

frankly speaking, block me ... your not going to be missed ... i live in a world of people blocking me out...

i seek the women i have not yet met ... or a dreamer who wants to take a long bet that i can not blow their idea of reality into something not present

edit: and may i say with true delight in how the words are ment... all you people are nut cases... beleiving in sun spots.... every one knows that god made the sun with out flaws...

Edited by onereaderone

Personally, I post here because I'm intrigued at the mental processes involved in the beliefs some people have about conspiracies. Don't get me wrong, I do have my own, so I'm no exception, but I don't believe JFK was a plot with dark and hidden intrigues, I don't believe 911 was the work of our own government. I don't believe flight 600 was shot down by a US missile. I don't think the Illuminati controls everything. I do believe there are other intelligent being in the universe, I simply don't believe they're coming to Earth to shove the ever present ice cold anal probe up old farmer Brown's bung hole. Chemtrails.....please.

My own personal feeling is that the truth of such things is simply too mundane and it's just so much cooler to believe all this sort of crap........even though, if it were true......then how is it that we'd know about it? The whole point of a conspiracy is to keep it quiet and under wraps so no one ever knows and here we are talking about it. posting about it. Virtually every week there's some new "revelation" exposed about this or that secret group or dark society. If it's a secret then they need to do a better job of keeping it that way.

So, yeah, I'm interested in learning what makes people believe this stuff.

Well, that and I can report what you guys know to my Masters.

• Like 6

When I joined UM there were few people who discussed about threads with their open minds. One of them suddenly stop to post. In fact he posted by never giving his views,theories, interpretations. He stop opening threads. I thought either he got personal issues with job, fam, college...who knows. As time pass I saw him on UM writting. He often visited site yet he didnt discuss alternatives. And judging by his previous posts I knew that he couldnt all of sudden become shallow mind person. So I asked him "why dont you post anymore" He respond me: "Because most of the time I didnt defend my theories but myself."

That tells more about sceptics on UM then everything. Because of their lack of knowledge they attack on personal level.

There are many sceptic members which I admire. Such as cormac mac airt, sepulchrave, Swede, Shadowsot, Abramelin and so on.

But there are many "sceptics" who are here for redicule. They dont teach others with their so called knowledge, they dont give counter arguments, they just teasing.

But this is forum. And its free for all. Maybe its good from now and then that there are jokes around. But when it all whats left is teasing and people stop to find answers on questions they raised this forum will be shut down. Because thats what this community all about. To find answers. Or good open questions.

And sometimes I feel that so called sceptics here like more false answer then good open questions.

Being sceptic doesnt mean surpression of idea.

Also many sceptics here dont have clue what scepticism is in the first place.

Edited by the L
  • Like 3

in a world of people who have not a moments question about their god , their job , or political ideas... why they come here is quite a good question .

i do not fit in a good church . i have not worked a day in 40 years ( although my boss thinks what i do as play , needs pay to be done with good results) ... people openly call me strange , and i have no disagreement .

i snuggle up to some one who disagrees with me enought to argue well... but frankly... normal people can take a long walk off a short pier ... i do not need or care what they think .

frankly speaking, block me ... your not going to be missed ... i live in a world of people blocking me out...

i seek the women i have not yet met ... or a dreamer who wants to take a long bet that i can not blow their idea of reality into something not present

edit: and may i say with true delight in how the words are ment... all you people are nut cases... beleiving in sun spots.... every one knows that god made the sun with out flaws...

i dont know what your talking about mister but some how i agree with everything you just said O.o
  • Like 3

i couldn't have put it better myself.

:unsure2:

• Like 1

I'm interested in most of the topics on this site but I would say I look at them logically and not just believe them on face value. I'm not saying other people don't look at the topics logically, i'm just saying that's my reason for posting here.

Also I would have to say majority of the news articles posted are explained and not really a mystery.

• Like 2

There is a huge difference in accepting that there are mysteries that are unexplained and believing the explanations some folk produce to explain these mysteries.

I accept and know there is a realm of unexplained phenomena. What I consider when I read posts is whether the conclusions produced are based on logic and reason or fear and superstition.

I have my own unexplained experiences and I expect no one to believe them but I sometimes post them when others have had similar experiences for "the sake of posterity" as it does inform that the experiences are not unique but shared by many. Science, I believe is still our single best opportunity to find an answer to what these strange experiences truly are and therefore I wait, wonder and remain very very curious about the true nature of our world and reality.

• Like 8

Yes,I come to this forum to talk with like minded people. I don't go to sleptic forums to berate people who do not share my views.

Being attacked for my beliefs and ideas ,in a place that is supposed to be for like minded people ,gets very tedious .

This isn't a forum of like minded people, at all, it's a forum of all types of people. The term 'unexplained mysteries' can't be narrowed down into two groups - believers and sceptics. Belief and scepticism has very little to do with why i'm here, i'm interested in people, how they draw their conclusions, how they'll filter out other views to hold onto their own...I find that very interesting. Plus, we live in a world where perception through taught behaviour influences how we judge and respond to things that might fall under the umbrella of 'Unexplained Mysteries', that impacts us all, and should interest us all.

• Like 6

Here's some of the things said so far on this thread, about what might loosely be called debunkers (very probably including me..)

..only posting to creat trouble ,belittle others ,or be a troll ..

..here are also some who cures they complexes by attacking peoples..

..Being attacked for my beliefs and ideas..

..I don't like being told I'm a liar,delluded..

..attacking someone for their ideas and beliefs..

..they attack on personal level..

So are you folks aware of the Report function? Or are you simply not using it, and would you rather just generalise, handwave and avoid being specific?

Seriously - if YOU are being 'attacked', just report the post - see that little button at bottom left?

But if it's just your views or claims that are being challenged, then .. toughen up. If you can't defend those views, for example if a simple explanation is being posted for what you hoped was paranormal, or your viewpoint is being challenged by real references or statistics or science that contradicts you, or you have been taken in by a hoax.. isn't it better that the truth wins out?

Or is it more important that your claims are never challenged, your pride never hurt?

• Like 3

Looking over the list of topics/forums here, most say nothing about being a believer in the paranormal.

"Ghosts and the Paranormal" does no exclude skeptics, to me nor does "Conspiracy Theories" etc.

Science and Technology, News, Politics, Nature and dozens more as well.

None say anything at all about being a "believers only" forum.

And if the Mysteries are Unexplained, I could say the title rules out the paranormal and conspiracies as answers to the "mysteries", as well.

There is nothing "believer only" anywhere here. Even the title "Experiences" does not indicate in any way, this would be for paranormal believers only and no other explanations are wanted.

Do all ET believers automatically side with and support those who believe in a Judeo/Christian God? Do conspiracy theorists automatically believe in bigfoot?

Open mindedness as well as skepticism is personal and subjective not a blanket philosophy for everyone.

Would not UM rules have indicated that any dissension or skepticism toward the paranormal is forbidden.

So skepticism may upset some, but why does that mean skeptics have to defend themselves on here when nothing indicates we should?

There are believer only forums on the Internet, and they look nothing at all like UM. They are policed, strictly controlled and one-minded. When I came here I did/do not see that.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

I'm here to have my dreams and illusions continually shattered. Since becoming a UM member I've learned that almost everything I was taught in History at school (my favourite subject) was almost completely false. Grr @ UM!

You can ignore trolls, Simbi. And debate with non-believers... that's healthy for a forum. Don't let it faze you.

*old geezer who thinks he's wise smiley*

• Like 5

Do all ET believers automatically side with and support those who believe in a Judeo/Christian God? Do conspiracy theorists automatically believe in bigfoot?

Yes. You caught a big picture here. I agree with you. I think that terms "sceptics" and "belivers" or "fringes" are utterly wrong. I think thats because our society way of dealing things. We must have all in boxes. If something isnt in boxes its ignored. So perhaps its better to be in box even if its called paranormal or myth. And history of human knowledge shown as that paranormal things could become normal and that myths can become history. Also that scientific theory can be utterly wrong. Nothing wrong there. Its process of learning.

Personally I hate terms sceptics and belivers. I dont see myself into any of it. Im sceptic about many things but I do believe in things which is obvious that majority dont.

I could believe that there was Atlantis once that doesnt mean that I believe in bigfoot or that there are aliens under Area 51.

Scepticism can be aplied and help to all people. Ones you called fringes and ones you called sceptics. For example, I could be sceptic about did Marco Polo exist at all. Which would other find as fringe idea.