Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What is the source of class distinction?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    coberst

coberst

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

What is the source of class distinction?

The very first class distinction was between mortal and immortal; between human and superhuman.  For the primitives it was often the dead who held power.  Primitives were “securely immersed in his particular cultural ideology, which was in essence an ideology of life, of how to continue on and on to triumph over death.”  Power was and is the basic category of being for which sapiens have fundamental respect.

The primitives recognized a spiritual cosmology wherein power emanated from the “pool of ancestors and spirits”.  In the modern world power emanates from technology and money.

The infant recognizes the source of power quickly; power becomes the basic category of being.  If one does not get this location of power one will have little opportunity to get anything else correct.  Without power one quickly declined in vitality leading to death.  The primitives were quick to recognize a hierarchy of power.  With power the other basic category was ‘danger.

Since the eighteenth century the great minds have formed this question, ‘what is the source of inequality?’ and have sought the answer.  Rousseau asked why humanity had gradually fallen from a primitive state of innocence into the conflicts of classes and states.  Marx capitalized (a pun perhaps?) on Rousseau’s idea to remind us that humanity did not all start out as exploited peons.  Today this class and state differential is more abundantly clear.

It has been deduced that power and coercion are not the only culprits here, it is that wo/man harbors an “enemy within”; perhaps the “slave is somehow in love with his own chains”.

Rousseau offered this answer “The first person who, having fenced off a plot of ground, took it into his head to say ‘this is mine’ and found people simple enough to believe him, was the true founder of civil society.”

The salient question became ‘not when’ but ‘why’ it happened?

Primitive man recognized differences in talent, strength, and merit and easily deferred to these characteristics.  Why—because such characteristics served well the needs of the tribe or community.  Certain individuals showed ability for defying death and others wished to share in that immunity.  

We see here that he “carries within himself the bondage that he needs in order to continue to live…we are born in need of authority and we even create out of freedom, a prison…This insight is the fruit of the outcome of modern psychoanalysis…it penetrates to the heart of the human condition and to the principle dynamic of the emergence of historical inequality…primitive religion starts the first class distinction…That is, the individual gives over the aegis of his own life and death to the spirit worlds; he is already a second-class citizen.”

“The first class distinction, then, was between mortal and immortal, between feeble human powers and special superhuman beings.”

Quotes from Escape from Evil by Ernest Becker

#2    Lady Amethyst

Lady Amethyst

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Wow!

I thought that it meant something entirely different.

Posted Image

#3    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

• c^2= (d/t)^2 = d^2/t^2 = (d^2) x (1/t^2)...Time is squared

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

Class systems originated from the issue of losers and winners in conflicts (wars) losers would end up as slaves. The winners would not only reproduce with there own kind but also with the slaves. So, one ends up with the children of the winners which were born only of winners, the children of winners and slaves and finally the children of only slaves, in one culture. As far as special abilities in people or perhaps mutations, with a distinct advantage, I feel it is important to point out, that favorable mutations are a product of evolution and/or a gift from God.

See link...

Any thoughts?

Edited by Triad, 19 July 2009 - 12:50 AM.

Time is a form of communication
Consciousness transcends all states
that can be perceived as matter
Matter communicates its existence
to consciousness through time        
Man is infinite
God is more
Black Hole Creates Spectacular Light Show

#4    coberst

coberst

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

Class—a group sharing the same economic or social status.

In this post I am focusing upon a class defined by a hierarchy determined by the degree of power status.  Power status is a combination of economic and social considerations.  A very rich person might very well have little power while a person with little wealth might have great power.

#5    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Coberst your initial post as well as your title references class distinction and sources and this seems to be a conclusion...

“The first class distinction, then, was between mortal and immortal, between feeble human powers and special superhuman beings.”

Any thoughts?

Man is infinite
God is more

#6    coberst

coberst

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

Triad

Yes, it is the author's conclusion and I agree with it.

#7    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but, is in your opinion the author trying to say that class distinctions’ were created by the conclusion that there must be life after death?

Or is there some other issue the author is trying to represent?

Any thoughts?

Man is infinite
God is more

#8    coberst

coberst

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

Triad on Jul 20 2009, 06:41 PM, said:

Correct me if I am wrong but, is in your opinion the author trying to say that class distinctions’ were created by the conclusion that there must be life after death?

Or is there some other issue the author is trying to represent?

Any thoughts?

Ernest Becker focuses upon the paradox of human existence.  

We are mortal but we strive with all our might to be immortal, to be significant.  When human kind recognized that death was our destination s/he struggled to overcome that destiny and in this effort s/he constantly focuses upon the means to overcome that end in some way.  

The creation of a world of meaningful symbols was one aspect of that struggle.  To Becker death is evil and life is good.  His book Escape from Evil is his effort to comprehend this matter and to make an effort to escape our human problem that we have created gods and God to accomplish.  He searched for other means than this reliance upon the hereafter.  He strived without finding an answer.

The evil things that we humans do we do in our effort to escape death and of course we know that such is impossible yet we do it.

#9    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

When I was 3 my parents took me to a Taino Indian Community and the behest of my Great grandmother on my mother's side (she was Taino). There was of course another reason I was one of those children that remembered past lives. The level of details in respect to how I explained myself in this respect was incredible I seemed to be remembering vast amounts in relation to past events it was impossible for me to know given my age and experience's in this life. These experiences continued throughout my life and I have invested considerable time towards understanding them beyond the original education I recieved in order to better understand myself. For me the difference between life and death is (to put in terms that is simple to understand), the differnece between interacting with reality from the perspective of particles and waves and the idea of life after death means life as a wave form. Doub't as to the validity of this conclusion for me has never really existed, though, whenever I discuss this subject? My cheif concern is to not give the impression to someone out there, who is feeling suicidal that somehow dying implies auotomatically going to a better place (As to me that is not the case).

My impression is that we are evolving towards the realization upon a phisical orientation, that the disticition between life and death does not alter our ability to interact with our loved ones. For me this is so fundamental to mans condition that our apparent obsession with death is justified correctly although somewhat misguided by the current politics in life. Good and evil exists, but given the fact that reality is so much more complex than our ancestors considered suggest that, perhaps a revision of our God concepts is in order.

Clearly I disagree with the author and clearly this is based upon personal experiences.

Any thoughts?    

Man is infinite
God is more

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users