Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brown Recluse Venom Study Finds Neat Results

cacoseraph

Spider Venom Reveals New Secret: Once Injected Into a Bite Wound, Venom of Brown Recluse Spider Causes Unexpected Reaction

Aug. 29, 2013 — Venom of the brown recluse spider causes a reaction in the body that is different from what researchers previously thought, a discovery that could lead to development of new treatments for spider bites.

http://www.scienceda...30829214742.htm

Personal commentary: The brown and widow spiders are way, way vilified. The widows do possess extremely potent venom. The brown spiders are much less likely to do you in a bad way, but do have significant venom. The thing is none of them *want* to bite you. I played with black widows for years when I lived in California and it took a couple hundred times of free handling them before I finally got bit. Now I live in Arizona and the two most common spiders around my house are brown spiders (not brown recluse, they are probably desert brown and Arizona brown) and black widows. The same is true for everybody that lives around me.... thousands upon thousands of people just absolutely surrounded by these "dangerous" spiders. I've never heard of anyone getting bit nor have I even read about it in the papers. These "dangerous" spiders and their less toxic to human kin *are* an important control for kissing bugs, blood feeding insects that *do* want to bite humans. Kissing bugs spread terrible, deadly diseases in some parts of their range. And of course the spiders help to control the usual suspects of biting flies, mosquitoes, etc.

• Like 2

Not a fan of spiders but I appreciate what they do. I do have a few black widow spiders that show up around here when it gets hot, but I just leave them alone. As for brown recluses, I've seen first hand what a bite can do and will do my best to avoid them. A former co-worker was bitten near his hand and it looked like missing flesh that got healed over, and he never regained full use of his hand. If one ever showed up in my house, I probably would kill it.

As for big spiders like tarantulas, I'm thankful that they aren't really common in this part of Texas. I know they're relatively harmless, but they freak me out big time. One time, I was browsing an exotic pet store and almost ran into a plastic container that held a goliath bird eater on a shelf that was perfectly face high. That thing shouldn't have been in a container, it belonged on a leash. *shudders*

Good read, thanks for the article.

I love spiders. Amazing little critters. They are so horribly misunderstood.

That's all I have to say. That and a picture.

3616793_452-spider_eats_snake4_thumb.jpg

Not a fan of spiders but I appreciate what they do. I do have a few black widow spiders that show up around here when it gets hot, but I just leave them alone. As for brown recluses, I've seen first hand what a bite can do and will do my best to avoid them. A former co-worker was bitten near his hand and it looked like missing flesh that got healed over, and he never regained full use of his hand. If one ever showed up in my house, I probably would kill it.

As for big spiders like tarantulas, I'm thankful that they aren't really common in this part of Texas. I know they're relatively harmless, but they freak me out big time. One time, I was browsing an exotic pet store and almost ran into a plastic container that held a goliath bird eater on a shelf that was perfectly face high. That thing shouldn't have been in a container, it belonged on a leash. *shudders*

Good read, thanks for the article.

TX does have brown recluse so it is definitely possible that was Loxoscelesism. It kills me when people who don't live in range of the species get a diagnosis that is basically impossible. It is not just that they are maligning a species that actually isn't responsible for all that many mangling bites, it is that THEY AREN'T ADDRESSING the real issue! Man, if something is melting a person's skin it needs to be properly diagnosed and treated stat!

I have tons of big pet bugs and snakes. I always warn people before they come to my house. I have made a solemn vow to never use critters for ill, only for good and education. Unless i'm drunk and it would be really, really funny. Heh, just kidding.

Widows are just nuts! Their web strength and way the use it allows them to capture crazy stuff.

This picture is from inside my house a few months ago. That is a black widow (Latrodectus hesperus) with a bark scorpion (Centruroides sculpturatus) in its web. Those are two of the most potent venom bugs in AZ. Both have killed humans in the past, but not for decades. Go go modern medicine :)

922683_10200289137883428_2038434585_n_zps929ab6d1.jpg

Edited by cacoseraph
  • Like 1

3616793_452-spider_eats_snake4_thumb.jpg

SCREAMMMMMM.....

• Like 1

922683_10200289137883428_2038434585_n_zps929ab6d1.jpg

That's an amazing image to be taken in your home!

Here's one from google, my second home.

20130516%20Black%20Widow%20vs.%20Lizard%20HS300%20IMG_1683.jpg

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Thanks guys for seeding my nightmares.

But seriously, cool pics!

I love to watch them build their webs in the evening. Just like watching an artist create a masterpiece. Although, there is a downside.... when I run into an unseen one it becomes quite embarrassing. I make my 10 year old daughter sound like James Earl Jones in comparison to my screams. Oh, that and the ensuing creepy spider web is on me dance. lol