Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Your past may come back to haunt you.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Tbh I'm not worried about the past coming to haunt me from the direction of the Internet.There is a few skeletons but nothing to give me long-term discomfort.Unless a few trolls cotton on to me here.Then it will be like feeding time at the zoo.However their actions are not going to affect what I'm doing in the future.You could say I'm a refugee!However there is a few posts on Facebook that could cause some damage.

However my domestic situation is more cause for concern.A lot of crap has got past the radar when I used to work at Remploy.I've been in a few meetings discussing my discipline.So I've got written and verbal warnings which have been blissfully struck off.The last two years I have kept my nose clean though and avoided throwing a sickie.I just hope they don't bring my bad  behavior into consideration when they come to the intervews.But my service record is exemplory.However I'm not joking when something will be bite me in the ass. It might be from when I was a little headstrong when I was younger.

Edited by Medium Brown, 14 March 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#17    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,687 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 14 March 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

You've just reminded me of all the ways in which one is being recorded for posterity, often without one's knowledge or collusion.  There's all those phone cameras clicking away indiscriminately, plus of course the old video cameras and people love to put it on the internet.  So, actually, your high school shenanigans could well be on there (depending on your age, of course).

That's a great point! Now, I'm more paranoid. It really doesn't even matter if you're old or young. Someone could post your grandpa's embarrassing high school photos.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#18    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,687 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostMedium Brown, on 14 March 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Tbh I'm not worried about the past coming to haunt me from the direction of the Internet.There is a few skeletons but nothing to give me long-term discomfort.Unless a few trolls cotton on to me here.Then it will be like feeding time at the zoo.However their actions are not going to affect what I'm doing in the future.You could say I'm a refugee!However there is a few posts on Facebook that could cause some damage.

However my domestic situation is more cause for concern.A lot of crap has got past the radar when I used to work at Remploy.I've been in a few meetings discussing my discipline.So I've got written and verbal warnings which have been blissfully struck off.The last two years I have kept my nose clean though and avoided throwing a sickie.I just hope they don't bring my bad  behavior into consideration when they come to the intervews.But my service record is exemplory.However I'm not joking when something will be bite me in the ass. It might be from when I was a little headstrong when I was younger.

Your post shows why college students and high school students should be careful when they party. Their activities might show up on someone's Facebook page. It's bad enough that such material might be seen by people involved in their lives. The police can see them too.

#19    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 15 March 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

Your post shows why college students and high school students should be careful when they party. Their activities might show up on someone's Facebook page. It's bad enough that such material might be seen by people involved in their lives. The police can see them too.
Lol.You have totally got the wrong end of the stick!This isn't about High School.I'm talking about guys I have met recently.Not somebody from Failsworth Comprehensive twenty- five years ago.My old school mates are not going to have an impact to the extent where they rattle my bones.There is every likelihood I won't see them again.So there's nothing in that particular past that will haunt me. That part is securely padlocked.Besides I was more sulky than rowdy at school.Despite my optimistic description of them being school mates I wasn't really part of the " in" crowd.

My headstrong ways came from my formulative years at Remploy.But because the Internet was a twinkle in Donald Davis's eyes there's no record of any of my teenage sins.So I'm in the clear.It's just that I had severe mood swings at work when things were running far from smoothly in my home life.But nothing to the extent where I pulled my pants down and mooned the factory manager.However these Internet trolls did have the mentality of a teenager.In fact I could be really cruel and call then pre-teens.So you could be accurate about High School after a fashion.

It's also worthy to mention that my former workmates are not High School students.Any mistakes are truly my own doing.So in a way I'm totally vindicating them.Because it was actually me acting like a monkey on Facebook!Though with a bit of water going under the bridge the only evidence you've got is a single month.It only takes one curious person to see what's hidden.This particular message is hinting I'm a quitter.Not the kind of thing that will look pleasing to the eye on any further resume.

Edited by Medium Brown, 15 March 2013 - 02:21 PM.

Up the Robins!

#20    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,564 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

I run several businesses online and, like the OP, have made quite a few free websites WAY back in the day, and submitted quite a few articles WAY back in the day that could definitely come back to haunt me. Not because they are connected to something nefarious, but because they are so poor quality. I do not want a potential client googling me and finding some flashy, neon green, Comic Sans freebie site I made in 1995.

I constantly come across Facebook posts and comments and pictures on sites that I just know someone is going to regret when they're older. Employers Google applicants these days. Bosses friend you on Facebook. The real danger of the internet kids should be taught is how to uphold a good reputation on it.

Embrace the impossible.

#21    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,687 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostMedium Brown, on 15 March 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Lol.You have totally got the wrong end of the stick!This isn't about High School.I'm talking about guys I have met recently.Not somebody from Failsworth Comprehensive twenty- five years ago.My old school mates are not going to have an impact to the extent where they rattle my bones.There is every likelihood I won't see them again.So there's nothing in that particular past that will haunt me. That part is securely padlocked.Besides I was more sulky than rowdy at school.Despite my optimistic description of them being school mates I wasn't really part of the " in" crowd.

My headstrong ways came from my formulative years at Remploy.But because the Internet was a twinkle in Donald Davis's eyes there's no record of any of my teenage sins.So I'm in the clear.It's just that I had severe mood swings at work when things were running far from smoothly in my home life.But nothing to the extent where I pulled my pants down and mooned the factory manager.However these Internet trolls did have the mentality of a teenager.In fact I could be really cruel and call then pre-teens.So you could be accurate about High School after a fashion.

It's also worthy to mention that my former workmates are not High School students.Any mistakes are truly my own doing.So in a way I'm totally vindicating them.Because it was actually me acting like a monkey on Facebook!Though with a bit of water going under the bridge the only evidence you've got is a single month.It only takes one curious person to see what's hidden.This particular message is hinting I'm a quitter.Not the kind of thing that will look pleasing to the eye on any further resume.

I understand. I mean that college students and high school students could learn something by reading your post. They could learn that nothing online is truly private. You might as well leave your diary at the busiest part of Main Street. That's a good point about "one person". Sometimes, that's all it takes. You never know who's reading and watching your online journal. That's one of the reasons that I refuse to use Facebook.

#22    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 16 March 2013 - 02:31 AM, said:

I understand. I mean that college students and high school students could learn something by reading your post. They could learn that nothing online is truly private. You might as well leave your diary at the busiest part of Main Street. That's a good point about "one person". Sometimes, that's all it takes. You never know who's reading and watching your online journal. That's one of the reasons that I refuse to use Facebook.
It's a good thing I've chosen a wise username.It's not very inspiring but it keeps away the identify thieves and stalkers.I don't think any of the keywords in my previous post would reveal my full name,address,post code,national insurance number and even the PIN code for my bank card.I might have said Failsworth Comprehensive but I assure you I've not been part of any school reunions least of all invited to them.Besides there's plenty of alumni in circulation out there.I didn't say which Remploy.This particular one you've got four of us living in Middleton.Three of us have an active online presence while the other dosn't do anything more technological than have a cup of tea and slice of cake.

This Jonnny Come Lately will have to be really accomplished at hacking to get hold of the Remploy personnel files.The only people who know me by my real name actually know me in person.These trolls I keep twittering on about will only try to harass me.The reason why I've not come across them in real life because they are all mouth and no action.However one user here nearly got my full address but I pulled out at the last minute.It's also worth pointing out that Boney is just an other of my generic aliases.However my Photobucket account name is more obvious and copyrighted to the hilt.Despite all that there's layers upon layers where you need to be very tenacious to crack the code.

However Facebook is essential for all the latest gossip.I use it like a rock to lean on.

Edited by Medium Brown, 16 March 2013 - 03:47 PM.

Up the Robins!

#23    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Well I did have a wise surname.Sorry but I made an impulsive decision.I honestly think I'm not going to get any comebacks from this.Not even the trolls have this information.Call me naive but I feel as safe as houses.Now I've done it I feel more human.Which is the main thing.I'm beginning to trust people here.Besides nobody knows my Christian name so it could still be a stretch for any wannabe hacker.I don't think you are going to get any banking details from that.So apologies in advance.

Edited by G Donnelly, 16 March 2013 - 11:27 PM.

Up the Robins!

#24    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,687 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostG Donnelly, on 16 March 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Well I did have a wise surname.Sorry but I made an impulsive decision.I honestly think I'm not going to get any comebacks from this.Not even the trolls have this information.Call me naive but I feel as safe as houses.Now I've done it I feel more human.Which is the main thing.I'm beginning to trust people here.Besides nobody knows my Christian name so it could still be a stretch for any wannabe hacker.I don't think you are going to get any banking details from that.So apologies in advance.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you've had problems with hackers and/or stalkers in the past. I hope that things have improved for you. It's hard to shake all of the vestiges of past encounters when you've undergone pseudo-traumatic experiences with snoops who try to violate your privacy. It's difficult to not be paranoid.

#25    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Meh, I don't think it comes back to haunt but to show how much you changed.  My old work vs my new work, old me vs new me. It only looks bad if you only have two websites on in 10 years and one is 10 years ago and 1 is right now but if you have 30 or so improving all along the way, it actually shows that you work hard to improve yourself and you are not deceptive.

Even when I had a Facebook account, I put up my party pictures but also of other things so it balanced out. Even the little things I will let out like first high school and other password accounts restore information questions. (There is a place and time to lie, where did you go to high school on a retrieve password form is one of those times :P ) . It just shows that I'm human.

Now if you go around just picking fights with people and other nasty things(an ex-girlfriend or two comes to mind :P ) that people hide then yeah it won't just haunt you but latch on like a pitbull.

Edited by Jinxdom, 17 March 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#26    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 17 March 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

It just shows that I'm human.

You really think that will stand up as a defence in court?  You have to understand that when someone is out to convict you, they take a very, very hostile standpoint.  That things "balance out" or that you're "only human" won't wash.

#27    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Death Before Decaf

• 5,467 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

That's something a lot of people need to realise about the internet- it's there forever.

Someone close to me just learnt the dangers of Facebook, after posting something about a parent of a child she teaches (no names or suburbs were listed) and the parent found the page and worked out it was them.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

#28    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 17 March 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you've had problems with hackers and/or stalkers in the past. I hope that things have improved for you. It's hard to shake all of the vestiges of past encounters when you've undergone pseudo-traumatic experiences with snoops who try to violate your privacy. It's difficult to not be paranoid.
Well they are only bit players.However there is a troll currently knocking about on Facebook.What gets me about this guy is the fact that he's supposed to be on our side.He's just consumed by jealousy and it showed through his posting.He's all about wishing the applicants good luck with the Social Enterprise but what trips him up is two things which could prove he's being ironic.

The first thing was that he thought the Social Enterprise was all about favouritism and  how high up you were with the general manager.So he thought there was a pre- ordained list with all the successful applicants. But in repeated requests he refused to answer apart from "lol ha ha".He was just whistling in the wind.The second thing made him look an hypocrite.He didn't apply for any of the jobs in the first place.Because he's in a wheelchair he could have reprised his former role as a payroll clerk.He didn't so all that was left was shopfloor jobs.However you have to stand up on these jobs.Instead of being magnanimous in everybody's good fortune he continued to rant like a child like he's got a divine right.

The reason why I thought this would bite me in the ass is because two nights ago even before the jobs had been sorted out I had a right royal go at him in Facebook.At first I was pretty mild with him and even evoked wheelchair icons Ironside,Lincoln Rhyme and Stephen Hawking to help him pull himself together.However it escalated to the point where I ended up telling him to suck it up.So when this thread finished I thought I had ended with my epitaph.But actually it was me who was on the side of the angels and it further enhanced my job prospects.I got a gazillion likes while he became the laughing stock in that particular corner of Facebook.

So the next day I promised I wouldn't boast on Facebook if I got the job.I had the hopeful impression that this guy would hold his council.He didn't because a couple of other successful applicants couldn't help themselves.What ensued next was one of the most weirdest and capitvating nights on Facebook.This guy just jumped on even the most innocuous comments.So I hit him back with an artillery of jokes and even yawning gestures.However I was still flavour of the month.Because I was still posting on my ex- workmates behalf whether or not they were successful.Well apart from him because I had already written him off as a troll.

So that's why I've been quiet in here.

Edited by G Donnelly, 28 March 2013 - 08:15 PM.

Up the Robins!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users