Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Superstitions

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I am looking to collect a lot of superstitions from people around the world. Anything and everything you know of, whether you believe them or not, please share. I'm trying to collect a bunch for a blog series I'm hoping to put together for one of my blogs.

And when you post, please let me know what country you live in, if it's not apparent by your location on the side.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,887 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

http://www.corsinet....ivia/scary.html

That should keep you busy for a couple of hours, Kasey!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,021 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Toss salt over the shoulder- I do both just to keep everyone happy, lol.
Don't walk under ladders
Crossing over water can keep you safe from all sorts of paranormal things
Don't bring a single daffodil into the house, it brings sorrow with it if you do.
Cover the mirrors in a house in mourning, otherwise the deceased my be able to come back or haunt you.

Crows..
One for sorrow
Two for mirth
Three for wedding
Four for birth
Five for silver
Six for gold
And seven for a secret that must never be told.
And hehe I have a murder of 7 in my yard, wonder what secrets I'm supposed to be keeping.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

View Postealdwita, on 30 January 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

http://www.corsinet....ivia/scary.html

That should keep you busy for a couple of hours, Kasey!

I was hoping for more than just a link. :P

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,021 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I know of several people that have lucky pieces they carry around. Or have lucky clothes they wear, like a particular tie for business, or skirt for dates, that sort of thing. A lot of people seem to have things dangling from the rear view mirrors for luck, to avoid accidents, to feel like someone is watching over them in their travels...
I have a Cloisonne bee and a ceramic peapod with two happy peas and a nyan nyanko charm that watches over my car :)

#6    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I'm in the UK.

Keep a sprig of holly from one Christmas to the next to gain good luck.

If you put an item of clothing on inside-out by mistake, don't change it because that would bring bad luck.

Always tip your hat to a magpie, for good luck.

Rashore's rhyme for crows is the same as ours for magpies.

A black cat crossing your path is good luck.

If an owl lands on your roof there's going to be a death in the family very soon.

If you stand on an insect you'll make the rain start.

Nail a horseshoe to your front door to bring good luck to the household.

Never sit thirteen at a table ...... v.bad luck.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#7    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

You live is the city with the most superstitions in the world.

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,478 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

My uncles used to hunt rabbits for dinner, when it was time for the dreaded cutting the rabbit up, my gran would turn the bread unside down and close all the windows. She was very superstitious.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#9    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 30 January 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

You live is the city with the most superstitions in the world.

Me?

View Postfreetoroam, on 30 January 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

My uncles used to hunt rabbits for dinner, when it was time for the dreaded cutting the rabbit up, my gran would turn the bread unside down and close all the windows. She was very superstitious.

What did she say or feel would happen if she didn't turn over the bread or close the windows?

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,478 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 30 January 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

If you put an item of clothing on inside-out by mistake, don't change it because that would bring bad luck.

Haha, not sure about doing this one, but maybe this explains why some people do. I always thought they did not realise.
So next time I do it and spend the first hour walking about  like a p ** t, I can tell people its because I am superstitious. :tu:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,478 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 30 January 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

What did she say or feel would happen if she didn't turn over the bread or close the windows?

She just said it would bring her bad luck.
There are still stories about the witches covens in the woods around the area.
I once went to one place which was supposed to be a coven years ago, I can tell you now, it was very spooky, the stone altars are still there.

#12    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 30 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Haha, not sure about doing this one, but maybe this explains why some people do. I always thought they did not realise.
So next time I do it and spend the first hour walking about  like a p ** t, I can tell people its because I am superstitious. :tu:

When I was typing that, it crossed my mind that it was a superstition made up to make people look foolish! I've since remembered that it was only bad luck for 'the rest of that day'.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#13    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,021 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Don't cross knives at the dinner table... It could bring a clash or fight in the home
Tripping up the stairs means someone in the household is going to get married soon
Opals are bad luck for those not born in October
An itching nose means you will soon kiss a fool
A itchy palm means you will soon gain or lose money
Ringing ears means someones speaking of you

When walking with a loved one, if you are separated by an object or person and forced to walk apart, you are supposed to say a mated pair of foods, like salt and pepper or bread and butter... If you don't say it, you could be facing a more permanent separation from that loved one.

Edited by rashore, 30 January 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#14    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Never walk past another(coming in the opposite direction), on a staircase ....... bad luck for both of you.

#15    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 30 January 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

I once went to one place which was supposed to be a coven years ago, I can tell you now, it was very spooky, the stone altars are still there.

Where?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users