Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1/4 Americans want their state to secede

questionmark

For the past few weeks, as Scotland debated the wisdom of independence, Reuters has been asking Americans how they would feel about declaring independence today, not from the United Kingdom, but from the mother country they left England to create. The exact wording of the question was, “Do you support or oppose the idea of your state peacefully withdrawing from the United States of America and the federal government?”

It was hard to imagine many people would support secession. Forget the fact that the cautionary lesson of the Civil War is top of mind for many people as we commemorate its 150th anniversary; just in terms of dollars and cents, who in their right minds would give up all the money they’ve already paid into the Social Security and Medicare systems? Besides, most states get more back from the federal government than they put in.

Then the results came in. You can see them for yourself here, and you can filter them any way you want—by age, region, income, party affiliation, etc. Any way you slice it, the data are startlingly clear: Almost a quarter (23.9 percent) of those surveyed said they were strongly or provisionally inclined to leave the United States. and take their states with them. Given the polling sample — about 9,000 people so far—the online survey’s credibility interval (which is digital for “margin of error”) was only 1.2 percentage points, so there is no question that that is what they said.

Read more

Wouldn't some powerful country love that. That could pick us off one at a time.

Some Americans are stupid.

• Like 2

I work in retail, I have noticed that myself. :no::passifier:

You know, now that I have read that the majority of Scotland voted to stay in the union. I find myself happy for that. Which is, why should I? I'm American, it's not the country I live in. I was worried it would be more trouble for Scotland in the long run if they did succeed. Just my own feelings on that, mind you.

Now, yes, because of paying attention to Scotland, I have had thoughts on if some of the states here wanted to become independent. Yes, I was thinking about the Civil War. I often fantasized about New England, (yes, I'm a Yankee!), and wonder, if that was the case. I think, would that be a good cause? I think the new countries would have a very rough start, being smaller and dealing with finances and such. No, I'm with Lilly, we're better united.

Edited for spelling Lilly wrong. Sorry Lilly. :nw:

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

Pft...we have counties that want to secede from the state.

Considering our position in the country, us seceding from the US just kind of locks us up.

Nibs

• Like 2

I don't like the question do you support or oppose. There needs to be an in diffrent option. Cause that's what I'd pick

• Like 2

I'd like a question like

"Do you think certain states should be forced to secede?"

Nibs

• Like 3

Perhaps Alex Salmon might like to offer his expertise. Actually, this is something that I can well see happening, the only reason that some might see it as worrying is if the Federal govt. tries to keep them together against their wishes by force. That often leads to trouble, as in fact I think was experienced on a previous occasion. If it was done entirely democratically and the govt. didn't try to enforce their will, though, i can see it working.

Perhaps something like a, perhaps confederation is a word that's somewhat historically loaded, but groupings or federations of, say, the West coast states, the north-east states, and perhaps Texas might make a viable nation state in its own right. (As i think they tried to do, in fact, when Pres. O was reelected.)

I wouldn't put too much stock in it. It's easy to say you want to secede, but would 25% actually vote for it if it ever came up?

Just like our dumb politicians, Congress gets a horrible approval rating, yet we keep sending the same bozos year after year.

• Like 1

Edited for spelling Lilly wrong. Sorry Lilly. :nw:

You might find this funny; Lilly was my first collie dog. As I was only 9 years old I wasn't sure how to spell 'Lily' the flower. However, there was some cold medicine in our bathroom made by 'Lilly Pharmaceuticals'. So, I figured that was the correct spelling!

• Like 1

You might find this funny; Lilly was my first collie dog. As I was only 9 years old I wasn't sure how to spell 'Lily' the flower. However, there was some cold medicine in our bathroom made by 'Lilly Pharmaceuticals'. So, I figured that was the correct spelling!

That explains the profile pic. :tu: And I think it's very funny. :lol: I know though, I just wanted to spell people's names just as they have it listed near their profile pic. Cause, I know I can't spell worth nothing!!

But it would surely lessen the likelihood of any powerful country (or indeed Terrorists) wanting to. The reason powerful countries (or now, Terrorists) tend to have a beef with the U.S. is because it is so enormously dominant and wants to exert its influence all over the world and insist on telling the world how it should go about its affairs. I really don't know if an independent Texas or a New England Confederation would feel it so necessary to exert so much power over the rest of the world, and they probably wouldn't have the military power to do so anyway.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it. It's easy to say you want to secede, but would 25% actually vote for it if it ever came up?

Just like our dumb politicians, Congress gets a horrible approval rating, yet we keep sending the same bozos year after year.

That and more, it all just depends on who is advocating/running the secession campaign.

97% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(See what I did there?)

Wonder what the percentage is of Americans who would like other states to secede from the Union?

Succession has now been classified as a disease by the World Classification Committee. Please report to the nearest biometric id station to proceed. This is a public announcement.

97% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(See what I did there?)

Wonder what the percentage is of Americans who would like other states to secede from the Union?

I guess about 45% if you are talking Texas.... (equivalent to 100% of assiduous DEM voters).

• Like 1

Get four States worth of them together and they'll get one full seceded State ...

Lest we forget that this applies to a rather large chunk of most of the human race...

But perhaps, there ought to be a supplementary question:

Do you understand what secede actually means?

A failure to answer this then rules out that person from having a vote!

Edited by Shayde
  • Like 1