Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Should Cigarettes Be Illegal?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#76    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

increasing the age limit is only a feel good action everyone i know who smokes when we were all under the age guess what theres hundreds of people walking around who will buy smokes for someone for a couple extra bucks in their pocket, and there always will be.

I've never understood why anyone would want to make them illegal yes they are bad for you guess what every smoker knows that and every smoker continues to smoke, why? personal choice. guess what happens when you make something illegal? you make people want it more and create a black market for it. smart choice lets have an increase in drug trade and criminal activity, make ciggarettes illegal give innocent people criminal records and lock them up costing everyone more money in the long run.

I think smokers have been more than understanding in the last ten years we cant smoke in pubs we cant smoke by doorways or public parks where kids are. what else do people want should we brand smokers too so people can spot us out and cross the street? i think enoughs been done and people who are against smoking should just shut the **** up and start worrying about more pressing issues in the world. Oh but i forgot restricting peoples personal freedoms is the norm these days i guess.

Edited by Iron_Lotus, 10 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#77    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,585 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 10 February 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

increasing the age limit is only a feel good action everyone i know who smokes when we were all under the age guess what theres hundreds of people walking around who will buy smokes for someone for a couple extra bucks in their pocket, and there always will be.

I've never understood why anyone would want to make them illegal yes they are bad for you guess what every smoker knows that and every smoker continues to smoke, why? personal choice. guess what happens when you make something illegal? you make people want it more and create a black market for it. smart choice lets have an increase in drug trade and criminal activity, make ciggarettes illegal give innocent people criminal records and lock them up costing everyone more money in the long run.

I think smokers have been more than understanding in the last ten years we cant smoke in pubs we cant smoke by doorways or public parks where kids are. what else do people want should we brand smokers too so people can spot us out and cross the street? i think enoughs been done and people who are against smoking should just shut the **** up and start worrying about more pressing issues in the world. Oh but i forgot restricting peoples personal freedoms is the norm these days i guess.

Agreed man,but some people just can't wait to give away more and more of their freedoms.Some prefer the gov thinking for them and telling them what to do and how to do it.Does not matter to them if a blackmarket for said things pops up as long as the average law abiding citizen cant have it everything is good with them.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#78    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

What are the benefits of smoking cigarettes?

I just don't understand how some ppl have come to a point where they actually defend smoking.
They entwine it with freedom and personal choice ... like slowly destroying your body and annoying the hell out of everyone with unhealthy stinky smoke is something to be proud of ... like it's still cool.

Where does this come from? Completely deluded by their addiction that they'll find any excuse not to better themselves?
A complete nihilistic selfish nature where they think the world only revolves around them and no one else is affected?
They've become a pure product of marketing?

Or just a combination of the aboves.
Because face it, there is no single benefit from smoking. So why defend it?
Why misuse/abuse the meaning of freedom to defend marketing of companies that knowingly create a product that is only made for addiction and destruction. It's the sole purpose.

You don't get super healthy from it, it doesn't destress you ( because the stress the body and mind goes through to get another cigarette doesn't weigh up against the self created stress - relief you get from smoking it ... the cigarette creates the stress you need to relief and some ppl actually delude themselves into saying it's a stress reliever, ridiculous.). You don't get smarter (quite the contrary). You don't get more empathic ( definitely the contrary). Your all around fitness does not improve. Your critical thinking skills definitely don't improve, proven by the fact that you delude yourself into thinking a cigarette is worth a defence.

It comes across real junkie like to defend a thing that solely destroys.

#79    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,585 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostRender, on 11 February 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

What are the benefits of smoking cigarettes?

I just don't understand how some ppl have come to a point where they actually defend smoking.
They entwine it with freedom and personal choice ... like slowly destroying your body and annoying the hell out of everyone with unhealthy stinky smoke is something to be proud of ... like it's still cool.

Where does this come from? Completely deluded by their addiction that they'll find any excuse not to better themselves?
A complete nihilistic selfish nature where they think the world only revolves around them and no one else is affected?
They've become a pure product of marketing?

Or just a combination of the aboves.
Because face it, there is no single benefit from smoking. So why defend it?
Why misuse/abuse the meaning of freedom to defend marketing of companies that knowingly create a product that is only made for addiction and destruction. It's the sole purpose.

You don't get super healthy from it, it doesn't destress you ( because the stress the body and mind goes through to get another cigarette doesn't weigh up against the self created stress - relief you get from smoking it ... the cigarette creates the stress you need to relief and some ppl actually delude themselves into saying it's a stress reliever, ridiculous.). You don't get smarter (quite the contrary). You don't get more empathic ( definitely the contrary). Your all around fitness does not improve. Your critical thinking skills definitely don't improve, proven by the fact that you delude yourself into thinking a cigarette is worth a defence.

It comes across real junkie like to defend a thing that solely destroys.

You have just described a variety of things.People should not over eat,does them no good.People should not drink to much booze yet they do.People should not have the right to just say almost anything they want to.People should not do a lot of things,but we live in what was a free country.A full grown adult has the right to decide for themselves,might not always be the best idea but..........That's life!I dont need others to tell me how to live it!

This is not necessarily directed at you,just the talking heads in general.People are going to live how they want get used to it,try to ban living and you will have more problem's than you can imagine!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#80    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Seriously, U.S. citizens are being stripped from freedom little by little.  When will enough be enough?  And you never read how smokers rarely get alzhiemers, it's pretty much a cure for it.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#81    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

i love smoking being a previous full time smoker for 6 years, ive quit now and enjoy the occasional one with a drink.
every smoker knows its hard to quit and why not save the next generation from the cycle of being pro smoking .you cant love what you havent  experienced.  dont think of  your addicted selfs but kids who are yet to be addicted, addiction means you cant stop doing some thing, should the smokers choice really matter when it will always be no.
maybe  smoking age should go up each year with the current smokers still able to smoke and the next generation saved

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#82    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 11 February 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

Seriously, U.S. citizens are being stripped from freedom little by little.  When will enough be enough?  And you never read how smokers rarely get alzhiemers, it's pretty much a cure for it.
there are better cures tho

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#83    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 11 February 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

You have just described a variety of things.People should not over eat,does them no good.People should not drink to much booze yet they do.People should not have the right to just say almost anything they want to.People should not do a lot of things,but we live in what was a free country.A full grown adult has the right to decide for themselves,might not always be the best idea but..........That's life!I dont need others to tell me how to live it!

This is not necessarily directed at you,just the talking heads in general.People are going to live how they want get used to it,try to ban living and you will have more problem's than you can imagine!

No see, that's a distorted view.
Overeating or overdrinking has nothing to do with smoking.
Even one cigarette is damaging to the body. One portion of food is not.

Food in itself has a lot of benefits, obviously. Even fatty foods are healthy for the body, in moderation. You need fat to absorb several vitamins and is good for the elasticity of the body.

Smoking is in no degree any good....you comparisation does not hold up. That's what i mean with being deluded.

#84    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 11 February 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

Study Shows Cigarette Smoking a Risk for Alzheimer's Disease

http://www.ucsf.edu/...heimers-disease

Passive smoking link to dementia

http://www.kcl.ac.uk...y-in-China.aspx

Stop deluding yourself.

#85    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Smoking rates much higher among the mentally ill

(HealthDay)—The smoking rate for American adults with mental illness is 70 percent higher than for those without such problems, U.S. health officials reported Tuesday.

Read more at: http://medicalxpress...ly-ill.html#jCp

Maybe this is because mentally ill can be more self-righteous and delude themselves more easily.

#86    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 11 February 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

there are better cures tho

Yeah but it's my right to choose which one.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#87    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I wouldn't take a chemical that blunts off anger(http://www.livescien...edge-anger.html http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2443944/ ) in a world where mass shootings are the norm. That just seems kind of retarded.

#88    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• 1,743 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostRender, on 11 February 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Study Shows Cigarette Smoking a Risk for Alzheimer's Disease

http://www.ucsf.edu/...heimers-disease

Passive smoking link to dementia

http://www.kcl.ac.uk...y-in-China.aspx

Stop deluding yourself.

boo hoo ill be over here enjoying a smoke
Posted Image

#89    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,585 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostRender, on 11 February 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

No see, that's a distorted view.
Overeating or overdrinking has nothing to do with smoking.
Even one cigarette is damaging to the body. One portion of food is not.

Food in itself has a lot of benefits, obviously. Even fatty foods are healthy for the body, in moderation. You need fat to absorb several vitamins and is good for the elasticity of the body.

Smoking is in no degree any good....you comparisation does not hold up. That's what i mean with being deluded.

Ok guess im one arrogant deluded b****** when i drink haha

#90    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,697 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostRender, on 11 February 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

This is false, smoking is in some degree 'good' because it makes people feel good.  Like alcohol, rollercoaster riding, going out for a leisurely scenic drive in your car, these all make you 'feel good' too, and none are without risk.  Especially the last one, there are few common activities more dangerous than going for a drive, and I'd argue that going for just one drive is riskier than smoking just one cigarette.

Please define 'the meaning of freedom' then, because your translation seems to be the exact opposite of what the term means by definition.  That's your theory, 'the sole' reason people smoke is for their 'addiction and destruction'?  You really need to educate yourself on the pleasurable effects of nicotine.  What is the sole purpose of people drinking by the way?  I didn't see anyone defending or saying much about tobacco companies, you do realize that the cigarette predates the industrial production of them I trust.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users