Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should Britain let go of London?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 26 March 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Oh, please, yes, get rid of the horrible, overcrowded, arrogant rathole of a place with its comedy Mayor.

I'm not sure the people of London would be too happy getting rid of Johnson.  After all, they DID elect him and he IS a very popular politician.

#17    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,830 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 27 March 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Why should Britain get rid of not only its capital but get rid of a city which generates a fifth of its entire GDP?
precisely for that reason, because London has no interest at all in the rest of England, let alone the UK, and propagates the kind of arrogant attitudes illustrated in the quote in the opening P. Everything Government does is geared towards London, (except when London was a political football during the days of Red Ken, before he became cuddly), London gets all the investment in e.g. rail networks and Airports, and above all, because London in fact produces nothing at all tangible, all of its wealth is in the world of Finance, and the only people that benefit from that are those in the Financial "industry", and we all know how the fortunes of the Economy could collapse overnight, and then London would become a gigantic parasite, excpecting, needless to say, the rest of the country to prop it up, as it's so Important. London is too gigantic, and too arrogant.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#18    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,830 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 27 March 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

I'm not sure the people of London would be too happy getting rid of Johnson.  After all, they DID elect him and he IS a very popular politician.
oh, they can keep him by all means, then let's see how good a Leader he is if he has to try to make a go of it by himself and actually govern rather than just being a Media Celeb.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#19    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 27 March 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

precisely for that reason, because London has no interest at all in the rest of England, let alone the UK, and propagates the kind of arrogant attitudes illustrated in the quote in the opening P. Everything Government does is geared towards London, (except when London was a political football during the days of Red Ken, before he became cuddly), London gets all the investment in e.g. rail networks and Airports, and above all, because London in fact produces nothing at all tangible, all of its wealth is in the world of Finance, and the only people that benefit from that are those in the Financial "industry", and we all know how the fortunes of the Economy could collapse overnight, and then London would become a gigantic parasite, excpecting, needless to say, the rest of the country to prop it up, as it's so Important. London is too gigantic, and too arrogant.

It doesn't really suprise me that London gets more investment in things like infrastructure than, say, the North of England.  London is just so important for the UK.  Its economy is bigger than some countries' economies.

#20    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,137 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Last time I went to the place it took five attempts before I found someone who could speak english & give directions. It's like downtown Karachi on our doorstep.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#21    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 27 March 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Why should Britain get rid of not only its capital but get rid of a city which generates a fifth of its entire GDP?

This. The more obvious question should be, 'should London let go of Britain?'.

If it did, it would probably be the richest country in the World, per-person. Well, there's always the Vatican, but no one really knows how much they have.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything people before me have said about the place, but the fact remains that due to the business goings on in the joint capital of World-capitalism, the money being made down there is astounding.

#22    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,830 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 29 March 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

This. The more obvious question should be, 'should London let go of Britain?'.

If it did, it would probably be the richest country in the World, per-person. Well, there's always the Vatican, but no one really knows how much they have.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything people before me have said about the place, but the fact remains that due to the business goings on in the joint capital of World-capitalism, the money being made down there is astounding.
yes, but none of it's, well real, isn't it. It's all based entirely on bubbles of speculation, credit & debt. All the astounding money being made there, well, it's all fictitious or imaginary, isn't it? And we all know that that could collapse as quickly as snapping one's fingers. And then we'd be wishing that we still had an economy that made things that we might find useful, and that we could perhaps sell to others.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#23    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 30 March 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

yes, but none of it's, well real, isn't it. It's all based entirely on bubbles of speculation, credit & debt. All the astounding money being made there, well, it's all fictitious or imaginary, isn't it? And we all know that that could collapse as quickly as snapping one's fingers. And then we'd be wishing that we still had an economy that made things that we might find useful, and that we could perhaps sell to others.

All very true. I originally had "'dodgy" business goings on' in my reply.

#24    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,921 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 30 March 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

All very true. I originally had "'dodgy" business goings on' in my reply.
The liberalization of the markets is where London went of the rails and the rest of the nation went into a nose dive.
This nest of dodgy dealing has a corrupting influence across the globe, using the channels opened up by the long defunct empire to channel resources and money through the veins of London. Its a malign influence on the whole world and was one of the central players in the whole credit crunch.

What sickens me is that Westminster is resisting all meaningful attempts to rain in the criminality of the financial markets because they know that the economy is toast without it.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#25    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 30 March 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

The liberalization of the markets is where London went of the rails and the rest of the nation went into a nose dive.
This nest of dodgy dealing has a corrupting influence across the globe, using the channels opened up by the long defunct empire to channel resources and money through the veins of London. Its a malign influence on the whole world and was one of the central players in the whole credit crunch.

What sickens me is that Westminster is resisting all meaningful attempts to rain in the criminality of the financial markets because they know that the economy is toast without it.

Br Cornelius

Well they are the companies that fund their elections and provide jobs for them once they leave politics. The two now go hand in hand more than ever.

#26    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

I don't care much for London.  I live 3 miles outside the city of Leeds and the city is a bit blah, but I love Yorkshire as a whole :)

#27    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 27 March 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

I'm not conservative but I love Boris Johnson. People complain politicians are all the same, he couldn't be any more different to your average politician if he tried.

As for Britain "letting go of London", that's about as ludicrous as the idea of America letting go of New York City.

Edited by The Skater Boy, 30 March 2013 - 10:09 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#28    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 30 March 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

I'm not conservative but I love Boris Johnson. People complain politicians are all the same, he couldn't be any more different to your average politician if he tried.
No, he's a nasty piece of work, same as all the rest of them.

Posted Image

#29    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

I've lived in quite a few places in the UK - Kent, London, Suffolk, Bristol, Gloucester, Aberdeen, Hastings (think that's it).....I like London, not much different to anywhere else really, just more of everything (including traffic), but also has more diverse music venues, clubs and places to go, for that alone and the sheer diversity of weirdos you get there I liked it there.....(that said, I live in a quiet little place now, and probably wouldn't swap that for anything now).

#30    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,830 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 30 March 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

He can be amusing on TV, on things like Have I got Knews for You and Top gear, like Alex Salmon, but we must never let that make us forget that he is, like all of them, an ambitious career politician, and the one thing he wants is Power.

H. P. Lovecraft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users