Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are Chupacabras Troodons?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

The "dinosauriod" is a fatally flawed thought experiment whose main premise, that intelligent life must look humanoid is as fals as it could be. The paleontologist Darren Naish elegantly destroys the whole idea in this article

But back to the main topic. Surviving non-avian dinosaurs is a pretty big stretch as an explanation as it is virtually impossible. But let's not concentrate on that. Firstly, I haven't heard of any pre-1990s Chupacabra report, could you please provide a reliable source for that. Then there are the features of Troodon itself. The name itself means "wounding tooth" and its teeth are characteristically small, while Chupacabra reports mentioned "fangs", which this animal certainly didn't have. Nor did it hop around like a kangaroo. Chupacabras were also consistently described as having a leathery-scaly skin, and none were said to be fully covered with feathers as the majority of Theropods seem to have been. The large claws are also an issue, which wouldn't have been really visible under the feathers and due to the way theropods held their arms.

My main problem is that if people saw a small theropod, they would describe it differently: they would say that they saw a weird bird. Not a lizard- dog- panther- alien-like thing, but clearly a kind of bird. No chupacabra reports describe markedly bird-like animals.

This is a contemporary restoration of Troodon formosus:

Posted Image

Of course, the real animal probably looked differently, but the basic idea is the same.

#17    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,749 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostTroodonMan56, on 13 December 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

I have come up with an idea that Chupacabras might be descendants of the dinosaur Troodon. And this is why I believe so:

I think the Chupacabras’ origin is a lot more complicated than what most people think, and I will explain why. In 1995, a horror movie had just come out in theaters, and this film is probably behind the sightings of the alien-like creatures, as Benjamin Radford correctly pointed out a few years back. However, this cannot explain the dead animals.
My opinion is that the animals most likely died from mundane reasons, such as disease. I do think that Chupacabras are real animals. However, I do not think that they are responsible for the dead and mutilated corpses that were found.
What do I think the Chupacabra is? I do not think it is a dog, and I also don’t think it’s an alien, a shapeshifter from another dimension, or any of that stuff. Instead, I have come up with an idea that, in my opinion, neatly explains the sightings. I am inclined to think that the Chupacabra sightings are most likely caused by an undiscovered species of bird-like reptile.
Reports and references to animals resembling the Chupacabras have been around since long before 1995. In the 1970′s, sightings of an animal resembling a large bipedal reptile were reported by farmers. And the ancient Native American civilizations which lived in Latin America many centuries ago have legends of creatures similar to those sighted nowadays.
There were also many legends about feathered serpents.
I think that a Troodon or one of its relatives managed to survive the Mass Extinction at the end of the Cretaceous Period, and evolved into a Chupacabra. I am aware that this idea may sound very far-fetched, and that many people will probably disagree with me. However, I will now explain why I think so.
Back in the mid-1990′s, 2 distinct types of Chupacabras were most-commonly sighted by eyewitnesses. One of them was the alien-like creature, which I think was probably misidentification on the witnesses’ part, caused by seeing that sci-fi movie.
However, the other type of sighting was of a bipedal creature with sharp fangs, sharp claws on its hands and feet, large, egg-shaped eyes, and feathers. This creature was often sighted at night, which means it is probably nocturnal. When all of these characteristics are put together, it reminds me of a certain genus of dinosaur, which lived at the end of the Cretaceous period: Troodon.
Troodons were likely nocturnal, and they also had large eyes, sharp claws and teeth. They are now also believed to have been covered in feathers, since they were closely-related to birds. Also, of all the dinosaurs besides birds that were living at the time, Troodons were probably the most likely (or the least unlikely!) to survive the K-T extinction event. This is for several reasons; It is now widely believed that an asteroid hitting the Earth was the cause of the Extinction. When this asteroid struck, it caused particles of dust to go into the air, and surround the Earth. When this happened, sunlight could not reach through, so the entire planet became cold and dark. Most of the dinosaurs could not adapt to these new conditions, so they died out.
However, Troodon was different. First of all, it wasn’t very large, compared to the other dinosaurs. And most of the animals which survived the extinction were small to medium-sized. Second of all, it had large eyes, and it was nocturnal, which meant that it could probably live well in the dark. Third of all, it was well-adapted to surviving in cold climates. This is because it was warm-blooded, and had feathers for insulation against the cold. Also, fossils of Troodon have been found in Alaska, and paleontologists have evidence that they probably lived there year-round, which means that they had no problem surviving the tough Alaskan winters. Fourth, it was a very adaptable dinosaur. Dinosaurs similar to Troodon survived for 20 million years, and they lived from Alaska all the way down South to Mexico. Troodons were also omnivores, which meant that they were not picky eaters. Therefore, if they could find no prey, they probably could have survived on plants, and vice versa.
So if a small population of Troodons had survived the extinction, and survived until now in remote areas where fossilization was unlikely, I guess it isn’t really that far-fetched to extrapolate that they might still be alive now, and that they might be responsible for at least some of the Chupacabra sightings.
Also, several eyewitnesses have reported seeing spikes that stick up on the creature’s back. Troodon might be able to make its feathers erect, and stand up stiff. To an inexperienced witness, if viewed from far away, these could probably be easily mistaken for spikes, on its back.
So, this is my hypothesis. I realize that it isn’t perfect, and I am not certain that it is true, of course. However, I think that it does a pretty good job, overall, of explaining the Chupacabras phenomenon. So, what does everyone else think about my idea?

A more pertinent question is "do Chupacabras exist at all".

To which the answer is a resounding no.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#18    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,635 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Chupas are disowned or escaped alien pets.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#19    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

interesting the last I heard about the chupacabra was that It resembled a canine

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#20    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Think I missed something? What's the film that was released in 1995?

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#21    Jeff Albertson

Jeff Albertson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

• We know almost how many stars exist in our milkway but we have no idea of the number of animals living on our planet.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 14 December 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

interesting the last I heard about the chupacabra was that It resembled a canine

I think you are refering to the blue dogs which are not a cryptid but canine with mange. The chupacabra as Jon Dowens coined looks like a "Sonic the hedge hoge on acid". Clobhair-cean does bring up a intresting question Is there any Pre-1990 chupacabra reports? I am only aware of one and not sure how acurate it is being from a t.v. program animal-x.

We know almost exactly how many stars exist in our milkway but we have no idea of how many species living on our plant.

#22    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

For me, chupacabras were always a bit of a mystery since their origins and traits seem to change. I believe that the first few chupacabra sighting were actually very demon-like in nature, involving the chupacabra flying off or disappearing or other such acts that known animals could not do. I'll have to find a source for this, though.

Then the chupacrabra went from a bipedal reptilian alien thing to a canine thing, which is pretty mystifying.

So, it being a dinosaur? Cool theory, but seems unlikely me. Then again, it's very, very unlikely for it to even exist anyways.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#23    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

View PostJeff Albertson, on 15 December 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

I think you are refering to the blue dogs which are not a cryptid but canine with mange. The chupacabra as Jon Dowens coined looks like a "Sonic the hedge hoge on acid". Clobhair-cean does bring up a intresting question Is there any Pre-1990 chupacabra reports? I am only aware of one and not sure how acurate it is being from a t.v. program animal-x.
Ah okay, do you know how common those are?

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#24    Jeff Albertson

Jeff Albertson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

• We know almost how many stars exist in our milkway but we have no idea of the number of animals living on our planet.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 15 December 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

Ah okay, do you know how common those are?
Not off the top of my head, if I rember right one was a coyote wolf hybrid that one is seen in a monsterquest episode. I have a website I will find it if you like.

We know almost exactly how many stars exist in our milkway but we have no idea of how many species living on our plant.

#25    KrowMax

KrowMax

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

• Evil Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

The Cupacabras that is the goat eater right?????

Evil Person Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

#26    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostKrowMax, on 15 December 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

The Cupacabras that is the goat eater right?????

The chupacabra is a cryptid who is known for draining the blood of farm animals such as goat and chickens. There are two versions: The bipedal reptile alien thing that originated from either Mexico or Puerto Rico (one of the two). The second version of the dog/coyote-like hairless creature known mostly in the southern US.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#27    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

View PostMisstreeDove, on 15 December 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

The chupacabra is a cryptid who is known for draining the blood of farm animals such as goat and chickens. There are two versions: The bipedal reptile alien thing that originated from either Mexico or Puerto Rico (one of the two). The second version of the dog/coyote-like hairless creature known mostly in the southern US.
Yeah I think the second one was what I had pictured in my head

#28    Jeff Albertson

Jeff Albertson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 15 December 2012 - 04:35 AM, said:

Yeah I think the second one was what I had pictured in my head
Here is a website there is some good pictures (ignore the first picture) of the blue dogs http://www.chupacabrasightings.com/ they are not chupacabras but do to media hype got lumped in as chupacabras they are not a cryptid.

#29    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostTroodonMan56, on 13 December 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

So, what does everyone else think about my idea?

Where are the dead ones?  Are Chupas like Bigfoots, in that they have culture and bury their dead?  No body, no evidence, no creature.

#30    Jeff Albertson

Jeff Albertson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 15 December 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Where are the dead ones?  Are Chupas like Bigfoots, in that they have culture and bury their dead?  No body, no evidence, no creature.

Where are the wildlife biologst studying the chupacabra at, How many citizen science study the chupacabra with sound science methods and back ground? Any biobiltz going on where the sightings are from ? No study, no body, no evidene of cource we can relay on chance but then our knowledge of the local wildlife will remain inconplete.

http://www.dlia.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users