Photo

Something eventful

Posted by markdohle , 10 June 2006 · 85 views

Carl Jung coined the word “synchronicity” to denote an experience that so coincides with a need  that it seems to be somehow part an parcel of reality.    Most people have these experiences, some so outlandish that those who have them are convinced that there is something greater than they are involved.  There is one book out call “when God winks” to discuss this phenomenon.  

I suppose I have had my share, and I would like to relate one of these experiences that happened to me many years ago, and I would expect that the person who had this episode with me could say the same thing, that the event was significant, if not so important that it was life changing.

It was in 1970, I was almost 21, and in the Navy, stationed at Whiting Field Naval Air Station, and I worked in personnel.  I received my orders that I was being transferred to a CBU battalion that deployed down to Antarctica with an extended lay over in New Zealand.  I was very excited about this and was looking forward to the trip; also it was going to be my last year in the Navy which was also something I was glad about.  I did not dislike the Navy, but four years is enough, at least for me.

I also decided it was a good time to go home and visit my family, most of whom were still at home; only Skip, Robert and I were away from home.  There was an Air Force base not far from where I was stationed, and found out that they had regular flights to Panama, Canal Zone, and that I should have no trouble getting a lift down there, and since I was not rolling in money I decided to take that route home.

All was going well for me, I arrived at the Air Force terminal, the flights were leaving on time; three flights a day left for Panama, and I felt that I should hopefully be able to get a flight home very soon.  As I walked through the sea of Army green, with my white Navy uniform on I felt a little conspicuous, but no one seem to take notice.  I went up to the counter and made my request, expecting an affirmative answer to in my inquiry about being able to get a flight home.  The clerk looked at me with some sympathy and informed me that huge convoys of soldiers were being shipped down to Panama, going to Ft. Sherman for jungle survival training, and that there would be no vacancies for at least a week.   So sadly I turned away and walked back into the sea of green.

To say I felt bad was an understatement, but being a realist I soon come to the conclusion that I would not be able to get home, and was trying to think of some alternative.  Just when I decided it would be best to go straight up to my next assignment I heard a voice behind me say, “hello sailor”, as I turned around I saw my brother Robert who was in the Air Force and it seemed was trying to get ‘somewhere’ the same way I was.  I was so stunned that I did not really feel anything, I just stood there looking at him and he smiled and asked me what I was doing there.  I explained my situation, not expecting anything, since I did not know where he was going.  He smiled again and stated that he was going home also, and was glad to seem me.  It seemed that he had a lot of money on him and was afraid to go to sleep, and he was very tired.  So he said that he would be glad to pay my way home, which I readily accepted.  

As the shock wore off, my happiness in seeing him started to come to the surface and we happily started our journey home.  We both wanted it to be a surprise, so no one at home knew we were coming.  We got to the Miami airport, and decided to drop in to one of the bars there and get a drink.  Robert was so tired that right after the waitress gave him his drink, that when he attempted to pick it up, he knocked it over instead.  It was funny the way the waitress looked at him, but said nothing and just got him another one.  After that he fell asleep in one of the waiting areas, after I promised that I would not sleep also.  

The trip home was uneventful, and when we got off the train at Gatun and took a cab home, the surprise that it caused was worth it.  The visit was a good one, and I was able to hook up with a couple of friends who were still there.

Now years later, this coincidence continues to amaze me, was it just a blind occurrence, well it may have been, but I doubt it.  So Robert, thanks for being there brother !

ShadowDancer
Jun 10 2006 10:22 PM
Wow that is awesome!
nah, I don't believe in coincidences, it all happens on purpose.
+++++ I don't believe in coincidences, it all happens on purpose.+++++

rofl.gif good answer.

peace
mark