Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Guns Do Not Kill People

• Please log in to reply
321 replies to this topic

#61    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

My argument isn't trying to sell guns, it's trying to get people like you to agree with me that guns need to be controlled in the hands of governments as well as they need to be controlled with civilians.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can only give you 1 likey but would give you a whole lot more if allowed. I have been saying this myself for a long time. hence my signature.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#62    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,939 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 10 January 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Guns do kill people. They also wound and maim.
Really now?   Okay then accepting that rhetoric, guns also defend people.  Guns also save lives.  Guns also enforce the law.  

Julie Borowski is right.  Guns are inanimate, neutral, and not the problem.   People are the problem.  And more government time-wasting line-drawing by bureaucrats who have no knowledge of what causes Newtowns is not the solution.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#63    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,939 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

This atmosphere of paranoia today boils down to ignorant bureaucrats copping out and blaming the gun because it's too difficult to undress the problem for what it really is.   Government isn't interested in doing what's best for the American people because they don't care about you or I.   There's no love between us.   They're interested in responding to emotional reactions, and creating emotional reactions, and winning elections.  They're interested in doing what's irresponsible and lazy, not what's hard.   It's too hard to admit that outcasts kill people.   It's too hard to admit that bad parenting kills people.  That mental illness kills people.   That prescription drugs kill people.   So they sweep all that latent potential to actually prevent the next tragedy under the rug and pump their silly rhetoric about guns, guns, guns, guns, guns.   I could say it's a lack of intelligence but it's a lot worse than that.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#64    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,817 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

View PostYamato, on 10 January 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Really now?   Okay then accepting that rhetoric, guns also defend people.  Guns also save lives.  Guns also enforce the law.  

Julie Borowski is right.  Guns are inanimate, neutral, and not the problem.   People are the problem.  And more government time-wasting line-drawing by bureaucrats who have no knowledge of what causes Newtowns is not the solution.
Can we ban people then?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#65    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,939 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 11 January 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

Can we ban people then?
Is "ban" the right verb to use over this issue?

We can prevent the problem -violent murderous behavior- by learning what the causes of it are and addressing those.   George Carlin has it pegged pretty accurately as it relates to a government's foreign policy.  

Julie Borowski described it well in the OP video as it relates to individuals.

#66    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 11 January 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

Can we ban people then?

we ban crimes, we jail\execute criminals.

Edited by aztek, 13 January 2013 - 09:31 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#67    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,939 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

View Postaztek, on 13 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

we ban crimes, we jail\execute criminals.
We wish we could ban crime, just like some of us wish we could ban guns.   To "ban" is the wrong verb.

#68    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostYamato, on 14 January 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

We wish we could ban crime, just like some of us wish we could ban guns.   To "ban" is the wrong verb.

but we do, ban=illegal, crime by definition is illegal thus banned.

any ban doesn't make things disappear, they only make it illegal

Edited by aztek, 14 January 2013 - 01:58 AM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#69    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,939 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

View Postaztek, on 14 January 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

but we do, ban=illegal, crime by definition is illegal thus banned.

any ban doesn't make things disappear, they only make it illegal
No, we refer to the dictionary:  2a: To prohibit by legal means.  

That is, To prevent from doing something by legal means.
http://www.merriam-w...ionary/prohibit

That's exactly making that thing disappear, and it's the fake and/or wannabe goal of the people you're arguing with.

Government isn't going to prevent crime from happening, guns from happening, drugs from happening, or anything else from happening.

#70    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

...I'm just so much more into the psychological health of modern society as opposed to guns...

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#71    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

Let's talk about what we CAN and SHOULD do, and discuss why we should/shouldn't have guns and act like something is going to change! Let's pretend we can do something to stop people killing people without taking away something we reeeeeally like.

I think the best thing to do would be to keep the large guns on farms and firing ranges, and small handguns unloaded in a desk or something. I mean, really. What do you even need a gun for? Self protection? I've never needed a gun and I live in a suburb where all the wogs are angry and get guns on the black market.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#72    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostZaraKitty, on 14 January 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

Let's talk about what we CAN and SHOULD do, and discuss why we should/shouldn't have guns and act like something is going to change! Let's pretend we can do something to stop people killing people without taking away something we reeeeeally like.

I think the best thing to do would be to keep the large guns on farms and firing ranges, and small handguns unloaded in a desk or something. I mean, really. What do you even need a gun for? Self protection? I've never needed a gun and I live in a suburb where all the wogs are angry and get guns on the black market.

I feel the same way.  Guns serve absolutely no civilian purpose at all.  The GOV loves every single one of us.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#73    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

I think if someone wants to go on a killer crazy rampage then they are going to do it wether guns are legal or not. As is stands guns might be legal, but shooting people with them isnt, but it doesnt seem to be stopping people. Banning the gun isn't going to stop criminals using them, it's only going to stop non criminals.

To quote Prince Philip, If a guy walks into a school and starts smashing the kids heads in with a cricket bat, are you going to ban cricket?

#74    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

View Postacidhead, on 14 January 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

I feel the same way.  Guns serve absolutely no civilian purpose at all.  The GOV loves every single one of us.

Before you continue, I am not an American and therefor I am not deathly afraid the government is going to bust down my door and rape my family.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#75    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 3,093 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostZaraKitty, on 14 January 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Before you continue, I am not an American and therefor I am not deathly afraid the government is going to bust down my door and rape my family.
Itís nice to know you currently feel that way.  And it may never happen in your lifetime but maybe in your childrenís lifetime.  One day the government will come knocking as all governments do.  When given more and more power, that is the primary reason for the existence of government.  Instead of minding its own business and just run the government, it must harass the people to protect itself from them.  Most of the time, itís done with carrots but ever increasingly itís done by force to some level.  Either way, it is enslavement.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users