Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Infamous ET Atari cartridges landfill dug up

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31    theotherguy

theotherguy

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

• Just trying to get my post count up...

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

View PostPlanB, on 28 April 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Same here. Was familiar with this urban legend but convinced that it was nothing but. Some one get around to Bigfoot and aliens!

I thought the cartridges were just wiped and recycled.

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  --Isaac Asimov

Conspiracy theorists are created by the government to distract us from what they're really doing!!!! Or not.

#32    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,323 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

View Posttheotherguy, on 28 April 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

I thought the cartridges were just wiped and recycled.

As far as I know cartridges cannot be 'wiped'. One of the pro's of cartridges is they are cannot (its very expensive) to pirate them. If they could be wiped and re-used I would guess the 'anti piracy' feature would be redundant.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#33    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,362 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

View Posteddword, on 27 April 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

What a wastre of everyiones time,Including mine for writing this comment
What a waste of everyones time, including mine for reading this comment.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#34    theotherguy

theotherguy

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

• Just trying to get my post count up...

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 30 April 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

As far as I know cartridges cannot be 'wiped'. One of the pro's of cartridges is they are cannot (its very expensive) to pirate them. If they could be wiped and re-used I would guess the 'anti piracy' feature would be redundant.

Well, you learn something every day.

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  --Isaac Asimov

Conspiracy theorists are created by the government to distract us from what they're really doing!!!! Or not.

#35    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,783 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 28 April 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

Am I the only person who's "day was made" by this story?

Nothing more satisfying than a myth being revealed to be the truth...

I'm with you. I was always fascinated by this bit of video game history. Even happier to see it wasn't actually crushed. It's too bad the weren't able to do this last year, it would have marked the 30 year anniversary of the video game crash. Oh well.

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, 01 May 2014 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#36    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,627 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 28 April 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

Am I the only person who's "day was made" by this story?

Nothing more satisfying than a myth being revealed to be the truth...

I certainly agree! As someone who loves to study myths I found this extremely interesting, and like it or not, these modern day myths play a part in our culture.

Also, to people saying this was a waste of time and money, remember that nest time you turn on the TV and see another Kardashian spin-off.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#37    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

if you want to get rid of something so that it will never be found then burn it and stir the ashes well.

#38    Mojohand

Mojohand

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

• The tyranny of Mrs. Grundy is worse than any other tyranny we suffer under.
    -Herbert Spencer

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Wow, just seeing that video still has brought back so many memories.  The game was so confusing and had no point or end...

#39    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 30 April 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

One of the pro's of cartridges is they are cannot (its very expensive) to pirate them. If they could be wiped and re-used I would guess the 'anti piracy' feature would be redundant.

The cartridges could be read and duplicated. The guts just contained an inexpensive ROM chip on a PC board. There were devices that you could read them with (a friend had one for an Apple II) and it was possible to burn a ROM with the same contents. Experimenters who wanted to write their own Atari 2600 games (very difficult!) had a thing that plugged into the cartridge socket with a ribbon cable and had an EPROM (a ROM that you could erase and rewrite). There was something on the Apple II that would help you develop Atari games. It couldn't emulate the game but it could tell you if you got the extremely critical timing right (if your code took too long, the screen would fall apart).

What really made the retail cartridges hard to pirate is that the ROM was just one thing that needed to be duplicated. Unlike a floppy disk or a CD, you had to make a PC board and case for the ROM and it had to fit perfectly into the console to be marketable. I guess that's why Atari did its best to crush these cartridges and make them unusable.

#40    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

• 5,323 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

View Postscowl, on 05 May 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

The cartridges could be read and duplicated. The guts just contained an inexpensive ROM chip on a PC board. There were devices that you could read them with (a friend had one for an Apple II) and it was possible to burn a ROM with the same contents. Experimenters who wanted to write their own Atari 2600 games (very difficult!) had a thing that plugged into the cartridge socket with a ribbon cable and had an EPROM (a ROM that you could erase and rewrite). There was something on the Apple II that would help you develop Atari games. It couldn't emulate the game but it could tell you if you got the extremely critical timing right (if your code took too long, the screen would fall apart).

What really made the retail cartridges hard to pirate is that the ROM was just one thing that needed to be duplicated. Unlike a floppy disk or a CD, you had to make a PC board and case for the ROM and it had to fit perfectly into the console to be marketable. I guess that's why Atari did its best to crush these cartridges and make them unusable.

Cheers for the extra info Scowl :tu:

Always nice to have the ramblings of my memory fleshed out into something more concrete.

I have plenty of ROM images of cartridge games, but as you confirm no pirated cartridges.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#41    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 05 May 2014 - 11:55 PM, said:

I have plenty of ROM images of cartridge games, but as you confirm no pirated cartridges.

Which surprises me a little. The thing we used to read the ROMs on an Apple II and burn an EPROM cartridge was kind of expensive (at the time) but it had all the parts necessary to copy the code for pirated cartridges. Retail cartridges cost $15-$20 (double that for today's dollars) so there should have been a huge market for pirated cartridges just like there was for bootlegged albums and cassettes.

I think what stopped it was just the physical manufacturing of the cartridges which had to fit just perfectly in the console to work. And I bet that's why Atari did their best to smash these unsold cartridges to bits so they couldn't be reused.

#42    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

My husband had shared the following youtube link with me and I thought it was appropriate to share with the rest of this thread:)

To the people in the video, kudos to your retro gaming dedication!
:clap:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#43    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

• 5,323 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

View Postscowl, on 06 May 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

Which surprises me a little. The thing we used to read the ROMs on an Apple II and burn an EPROM cartridge was kind of expensive (at the time) but it had all the parts necessary to copy the code for pirated cartridges. Retail cartridges cost $15-$20 (double that for today's dollars) so there should have been a huge market for pirated cartridges just like there was for bootlegged albums and cassettes.

I think what stopped it was just the physical manufacturing of the cartridges which had to fit just perfectly in the console to work. And I bet that's why Atari did their best to smash these unsold cartridges to bits so they couldn't be reused.

I downloaded all my ROM images online somewhere, but have never came across a pirated cartridge despite playing SNES after (I think) Atari ST and Amiga with which piracy was rife.

I think you are right about the hardware, having to physically make the cartridges was a big hurdle to cross back then which is why Nintendo stuck it out with cartridges for so long. I would guess its a different scenario today, you could get the components knocked up in China at a good price maybe making cartridge piracy a viable option.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users