Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Judges bid to banish the Bible from court

court judges bible oath witnesses

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,476 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 October 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Do they actually do that in US courts?  I thought there was separation of church and state?

The only seperation between church and state in legislation, is that congress shall make no laws when it comes to the free practice of it.

Anyhow I agree with PA. Its unbiblical and should have never been done to begin with.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#32    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,898 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

View Postealdwita, on 06 October 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Religious or not - it appears to me to be yet another attempt to undermine the traditional British way of life which our Lords Temporal and Spiritual all seem to despise!
It has been legal in British courts to refuse the Bible for about 300 years.  The case in question involved a farmer who when asked if he preferred to swear or affirm replied,
"I neither swear nor affirm.  I tell the truth."  The judge said that was good enough for him.

The issue with swearing/affirming is that it implies that you are a liar at all other times, but NOW you will tell the truth.  Can we really trust a person under oath who lies when not under oath?

Besides, I don't think it's going to matter much anyway.  I've heard cops lie under oath.
Doug

Edited by Doug1o29, 24 May 2014 - 03:50 AM.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

Also tagged with court, judges, bible, oath, witnesses

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users