Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Flat-Earthers Being Serious?

Still Waters

Members of the Flat Earth Society claim to believe the Earth is flat. Walking around on the planet's surface, it looks and feels flat, so they deem all evidence to the contrary, such as satellite photos of Earth as a sphere, to be fabrications of a "round Earth conspiracy" orchestrated by NASA and other government agencies.

But in the 21st century, can they be serious? And if so, how is this psychologically possible?

http://news.yahoo.co...-121746396.html

Yes, just like YECs really think the earth is 6000 years old. They are serious.

• Like 3

They are as serious as they can be, in fact, they even have "scientific" theories why it is possible to walk North to South and reach a point where you can only walk North from.

Edited by questionmark

There is no evidence that is good enough to keep a determined conspiracy theorist from ripping into it - ever, this is proof positive of that.

• Like 4

I wonder where some get there ideas from. I think they want it to be true badly enough to lie to themselves.

• Like 1

In the mind of a flat earther

Waaayyy too many conspiracy theory people out there.

Think they need a hobby. Crochet is nice.

• Like 1

His point that people need to examine evidence themselves and not just blindly accept scientific orthodoxy as reality is a very important one.

A measure of how far most people are from understanding this point is found in the amount of ridicule directed at flat earthers.

The earth is flat. Ask someone who has sailed around it: apart from the waves it is flat the whole way.

Edited by Golly Buster
  • Like 1

The earth is flat. Ask someone who has sailed around it: apart from the waves it is flat the whole way.

That statement contradicts itself.

• Like 1

At least there are only about 3000 people in the flat earth society worldwide. :tu:

At least there are only about 3000 people in the flat earth society worldwide. :tu:

Well records are flat and round. But you can fall off the side!

• Like 1

That statement contradicts itself.

I suppose its all a matter of perception based on perspective.

If we were 400 mile-tall giants, our heads would poke out the top of the atmosphere into space, and the earth would seem round or curved as we walked about on it's surface.

But being the tiny little ant-people that we are, we scurry about on a flat plane the whole time.

So its not only absurd for people to not acknowledge the fundamental flatness of the earth, its also disturbing that nowadays most people seem to actively deny it, despite it being the all-pervasive experience we all have of the surface of the planet we live on.

To appreciate that the earth is both flat and spherical depending on your point of view, is, as Obi Wan Kenobi would say, to have "taken your first step into a larger world."

214xmkx.jpg

Edited by Golly Buster
  • Like 1

I suppose its all a matter of perception based on perspective.

If we were 400 mile-tall giants, our heads would poke out the top of the atmosphere into space, and the earth would seem round or curved as we walked about on it's surface.

But being the tiny little ant-people that we are, we scurry about on a flat plane the whole time.

So its not only absurd for people to not acknowledge the fundamental flatness of the earth, its also disturbing that nowadays most people seem to actively deny it, despite it being the all-pervasive experience we all have of the surface of the planet we live on.

To appreciate that the earth is both flat and spherical depending on your point of view, is, as Obi Wan Kenobi would say, to have "taken your first step into a larger world."

214xmkx.jpg

So what you're saying is they are just wanting people to buck convention, think for themselves and be more in a literal sense. As you said, not just believe what they are told.

Don't just be fed by the machine. They aren't being literal, but in a way, they are.

I see what you mean.

• Like 2

I wonder if they can refute the fact a ship sails out to open sea and seems to "sink" into the sea but instead is just going around the sphere.

• Like 1

His point that people need to examine evidence themselves and not just blindly accept scientific orthodoxy as reality is a very important one.

Like the shadow on the moon?

The guy can't even explain what keeps satellites up. It must be some global conspiracy.

A measure of how far most people are from understanding this point is found in the amount of ridicule directed at flat earthers.
Their position is asinine, as you've demonstrated.
  • Like 1

Do what? The earth is flat. Wow that is News. LOL I guess the Earth is Hallow too. I want want they are taking or smoking.

• Like 2

so the sun must be flat, the planets must be flat and the whole universe must be flat too? Really?

I wonder if some of those people look up at the moon, see that it doesn't rotate about it's axis, and let that help confirm their bizzare theory without knowing, or wanting to know, how astronomy works.

Flat-Earthers must be given credit for not believing everything they hear .

Members of the Flat Earth Society claim to believe the Earth is flat. Walking around on the planet's surface, it looks and feels flat, so they deem all evidence to the contrary, such as satellite photos of Earth as a sphere, to be fabrications of a "round Earth conspiracy" orchestrated by NASA and other government agencies.

But in the 21st century, can they be serious? And if so, how is this psychologically possible?

http://news.yahoo.co...-121746396.html

I'm going to agree with the flat earth society and I'm educated too!

My logic is that we live in a minimalist universe. One where the only things which exist are those things which I'm currently gaining information on. As I cant see off the edge of the visable land mass nothing beyond it exists.

If people want to argue philosophy I can. As reality is just a collection of perceptions no perceptions (off the edge) mean no reality.

If people want to argue physics then Quantum Physics show that no information means no particles.