Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Would you choose VirtualReality over reality?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you choose Virtual Reality over physical reality? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you choose Virtual Reality over physical reality?

1. Yes (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

2. No (25 votes [73.53%])

Percentage of vote: 73.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

A perfect life sounds boring. A perfect life for me would involve some form of suffering and adventure and triumph.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#17    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,907 posts

• Take care with your words for once spoken they can never be taken back, only be forgiven and rarely forgotten.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostRender, on 01 November 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Then why choose it if the choice is available?
Surely "just because it's real" can't be sufficient reasoning to reject a more utopian-like existence?
Or is it?

I care nothing for rewards.
I chose reality because that is what I have to deal with. "utopia" is just a dream and usually comes at a terrible price.

Doing drugs is an available choice too but I am not going to engage in that either because it hurts myself and others.

#18    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostRender, on 30 October 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

If there was a personalised virtual reality available, adjusted to your dreams and desires. Would you choose it over the real world ?
I voted no.
I would use it as a learning tool and for amusement but my dreams and desires are based on reality.
Could we interact with other users?
That would bring VR into primary reality.
If VR has an effect on real life decisions and relationships does it blurr the destinction between mind and body?

#19    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,025 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

it would be like playing a game that you always won.
boring

#20    thorn-v

thorn-v

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

No it seems like it wouldn't be quite right to live like that. I would also think it would be incredibly boring. It seems like I would miss out on so much if I did that.

#21    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

No .. As hard as life may seem, I'd never replace it with a virtual reality.

On the other hand, I believe our reality is already a virtual reality.

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#22    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

If in the virtual reality, I don't know that Im in a virtual one, then yes, and I can control the world, make things happen like a God.

After all, reality is already an illusion of perception. Who dare to confirm that this reality we're currently in isn't a "Matrix" one?

#23    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 03 November 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

If in the virtual reality, I don't know that Im in a virtual one, then yes, and I can control the world, make things happen like a God.

After all, reality is already an illusion of perception. Who dare to confirm that this reality we're currently in isn't a "Matrix" one?
The whole question is interesting becuase in the Matrix it was a fake reality but everyones lives where not ones they wanted to be living.  But all in all I dont think I would choose to live in a virtual reality. Mostly because Im use to things being harder for me and I guess I would feel that something was missing without the hardships that Iv gone through and overcome

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#24    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

<p>

View PostlibstaK, on 31 October 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

disillusioning over time and probably lead to melancholy.

That sounds like reality to me.
"Reality" is already an illusion so I vote yes.
http://www.google.co...le Search&gbv=1</p>

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#25    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,429 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 04 November 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

The whole question is interesting becuase in the Matrix it was a fake reality but everyones lives where not ones they wanted to be living.  But all in all I dont think I would choose to live in a virtual reality. Mostly because Im use to things being harder for me and I guess I would feel that something was missing without the hardships that Iv gone through and overcome
In virtual reality, you still have hardships if made in the right way. Take away probably those that people usually complain why God doesn't do this, why God doesn't do that.

If you're satisfy with the reality, that means there's nothing in this world you want to complain about.

#26    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

View Postthorn-v, on 03 November 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

No it seems like it wouldn't be quite right to live like that. I would also think it would be incredibly boring. It seems like I would miss out on so much if I did that.

But, isn't everyone missing out on so much because there are obstacles like "money", "weather", body malfunctions, etc... ?

So transferring to a virtual reality would mean you could delete these obstacles as much as you'd like ... meaning, missing out on something would not be a given.

Edited by Render, 07 November 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#27    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

I prefer not knowing what is around the next corner of life. So, no; I would not prefer virtual reality.

If I could extend my longevity via biological engineering, I would absolutely do so, however (I know that this thread is not about engineering). I think it would be fascinating to live for an eternity in the same state as I am now, to see how the world changes... to see what becomes of our planet, to see what technological progress we make. Ah, a man can dream... *Sigh*

#28    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts
  • Location:Currently in the middle of this land called life, exit is here and near...

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

The sad truth is most of you have already traded reality for hyperreality.

Case in point: a backyard is not "part of nature", it is a hyperreality representation of nature.

Your online friend is not a real friend but a hyperreality version of a friend.

So fake you cannot admit it.

Hyperreality is used in semiotics and postmodern philosophy to describe an inability of consciousness to distinguish reality from a simulation of reality, especially in technologically advanced post-modern societies. Hyperreality is a way of characterizing what our consciousness defines as "real" in a world where a multitude of media can radically shape and filter an original event or experience.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Hyperreality

And if you press the like button, you didn't really like this, it was a hyperreality version of like.

<3

#29    aryannatimothy

aryannatimothy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I would always choose the real thing- reality. Even though it is not perfect, still it is one of the most precious and important things that can happen to me or to anyone.

Discover the power of the mind and know how to manifest what you want. Click mind power secrets to know more.

#30    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,555 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 13 November 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

The sad truth is most of you have already traded reality for hyperreality.

Case in point: a backyard is not "part of nature", it is a hyperreality representation of nature.
So what is a backyard trying to simulate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users