Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US deploying troops to 35 African countries

OverSword

From the article:

The United States Army will be deploying troops to nearly three-dozen African nations in the coming year.

Soldiers based out of Fort Riley, Kansas’ 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division will begin training in March 2013 in order to prepare for a project that will send troops to as many as 35 African nations, the Associated Press reports.

Citing a growing threat from extremist groups, including those with ties to al-Qaeda, the Department of Defense is hoping to install American soldiers overseas in order to prepare local troops there for any future crises as tensions escalate.

http://rt.com/usa/news/us-deploying-troops-order-749/

Since no mention of hostilities or invasion were made, I assume that these countries requested the presence. It's just another indicator of global unrest - far too many of them these days. And of course I could challenge you to find ONE i.e. single - story done by RT that was positive about the US - but I expect this story, as far as it goes, is accurate.

• Like 1

Since no mention of hostilities or invasion were made, I assume that these countries requested the presence. It's just another indicator of global unrest - far too many of them these days. And of course I could challenge you to find ONE i.e. single - story done by RT that was positive about the US - but I expect this story, as far as it goes, is accurate.

Where you are correct. The takeover of Northern Mali by Islamists has scared most African leaders shatless.

• Like 1

This is why I usually post a story without an opinion attached. I'm not supposing that the US is invading Africa in 2013, and as per the article these troops are being deployed to train locals how to combat the terrorist groups in the region.

Now allow me to point out, Korea and Vietnam both started out with the US sending military advisors (green barets) to train local troops, so the writing is on the wall, and if we don't start indicating to the government that we are aware of thier future intent, and oppose it then we drop the ball. To ignore the situation until we deploy combat troops would be a major fail. I find myself more and more against wars that we absolutely don't need to involve ourselves in and I see this as possibly one of those.

• Like 1

The African leaders are so corrupt they can't even control thier own armies, cant protect their own people... This is a good thing otherwise Africa will never be safe

• Like 1

This is why I usually post a story without an opinion attached. I'm not supposing that the US is invading Africa in 2013, and as per the article these troops are being deployed to train locals how to combat the terrorist groups in the region.

Now allow me to point out, Korea and Vietnam both started out with the US sending military advisors (green barets) to train local troops, so the writing is on the wall, and if we don't start indicating to the government that we are aware of thier future intent, and oppose it then we drop the ball. To ignore the situation until we deploy combat troops would be a major fail. I find myself more and more against wars that we absolutely don't need to involve ourselves in and I see this as possibly one of those.

Africa is not a country, it is a collection of countries as large as all of South America to Arkansas. So there will hardly be an invasion of Africa. About every Nato country is sending instructors to Africa next year to help any half way honest government down there. There will be no deployment to those places where corruption is rampant.

Edited by questionmark

source or it didnt happen

Africa is not a country, it is a collection of countries as large as all of South America to Arkansas. So there will hardly be an invasion of Africa. About every Nato country is sending instructors to Africa next year to help any half way honest government down there. There will be no deployment to those places where corruption is rampant.

I'm aware Africa is not a country, which you probably know. I was being...is ironic the word...fececious maybe?
  • Like 1

Yeah theres French troops in the Ivory Coast and other French speaking Countries and UN troops in Kenya and Somalia

I'm aware Africa is not a country, which you probably know. I was being...is ironic the word...fececious maybe?

Sorry, could not help myself...

If someone doesn't help train them Al Qaeda will run over the top of them.

We are too broke for this sht.

Seems the only way to get a stable income in this economy is to join the military. The entire globe is being militarized. Our civilian police are wearing paramilitary clothing and using military gear. The only way to tell a soldier from a cop around here is the color of their uniform.

• Like 2

...from the linked article: "

Citing a growing threat from extremist groups, including those with ties to al-Qaeda, the Department of Defense is " ..blah blah blah

"

Earlier this month, DoD sources with insider knowledge told the Washington Post that US troops will soon be en route to the nation of Mali in order to thwart the emerging threat of Islamic extremists, including al-Qaeda aligned insurgents."

... HOGWASH.

• Like 2

So... Is the US getting paid for these instructors/mercenaries? I think it is about time we got paid to be the Policeman, not go around handing out our Own money to the people we are policing.

Otherwise.... mehhh... We've been sending military consultants and MP units to Africa since I was in the Army in 1993.

• Like 1

My sentiments exactly, x35 though. Wtf?

There's no way we would go in big there. It's just like Syria in many ways. No idea who the good v bad even are. This way we train and offer some weapons to stem the tide. No sense giving the Islamists a free ride there and time to consolidate. Had we done something like this in Afghanistan right after the Soviets left we might have avoided OBL's BS. Doubtful I know, but maybe...
  • Like 1

I still have not heard any of this to be true. Noone here is real interested in these kinds of jokes. :gun:

The French just got there asses handed too them by a bunch of rock throwers. What makes you think America wants to be involved.

Edited by AsteroidX

I still have not heard any of this to be true. Noone here is real interested in these kinds of jokes. :gun:

The French just got there asses handed too them by a bunch of rock throwers. What makes you think America wants to be involved.

Oh I don't know, have you ever heard of Vietnam? Just apply the sentence you typed to Vietnam and you have your answer, don't you.

Mali has requested American and French help..

And I think it should be given - in a very limited way. No troops other than a few JSOC types for training and some weapons and ammo. Maybe some good communication gear and training. Base a few drones there for a training opportunity for our troops. We cannot fight this plague the way we have tried in Iraq and Afghanistan but that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be fought at all. It just has to be done smarter and with the least exposure possible.
  • Like 1

We are too broke for this sht.

Republicans refuse to allow cuts to military spending.

• Like 1

We're so busy trusting our government with our own guns here, why can't we trust them with their own guns in Africa? Oh because it's expensive. As if enforcing prohibition isn't.

Africa is the next playground for the "terrorist" racket. Foreign interventionism is still alive and well in our policies under Obama. The youth of this nation needs to teach the rest of the nation a lesson before their lunch is eaten completely.

• Like 2