Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Drake Equation on Alien Life Has Been Revised

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,703 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Drake Equation For Alien Life Has Been Revised

selected quotes:

"In 1961, astronomer Frank Drake developed an equation that summarizes the main factors to  contemplate in the question of radio-communicative alien life. These factors include the number of stars in our galaxy that have planets and the length of time advanced alien civilizations would be releasing radio signals into space.

http://www.space.com...ife-seager.html

we shall see then ...

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,503 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Well, completely hypothetical as the Drake thingy may be, it's good to see that even that favorite fall-back of the Skeptic is having to adjust to the inevitable.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,703 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 13 September 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Well, completely hypothetical as the Drake thingy may be, it's good to see that even that favorite fall-back of the Skeptic is having to adjust to the inevitable.

Well as per the article:

"Spotting signs of life on those planets will be possible because of progress in detecting not only planets, but their atmospheres as well. When a planet passes in front of its host star, atmospheric gases reveal their presence by absorbing some of the starlight. Oxygen, water vapor or other gases that do not belong on dead worlds could very well provide the first evidence of life elsewhere"

So with this in mind, yes we could find a planet with simple life, like microbes and plants. But even if that type is found - which will be a massive boost.... people will still want super advanced little green/grey men and flying saucers.

Besides detecting a possible planet with all the signs of 'life', still leaves us with the current inability to explore it up close

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#4    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,701 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Life Finds a way ! Remember that Quote !  We Will Find Life out there maybe before it finds Us ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#5    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

We will soon be able to detect water vapor in the atmospheres of  extra-solar planets. On Earth, this amounts to only about 1 part in 400 of the total atmosphere. One wonders if some technologically produced gases or vapors might be abundant enough to eventually be detected on other worlds. If so, extraterrestrial 'smog' might be the first evidence of intelligent life in space.

Edited by bison, 13 September 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 13 September 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Life Finds a way ! Remember that Quote !  We Will Find Life out there maybe before it finds Us ! :tu:
I don't think I would trust basing my opinions on famous saying or quotes or slogans.

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

I take it calling something the "fall-back of the Skeptic" is your way of engaging in the fallacy of dismissal by naming.

#8    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

View Postseeder, on 13 September 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

"Spotting signs of life on those planets will be possible because of progress in detecting not only planets, but their atmospheres as well. When a planet passes in front of its host star, atmospheric gases reveal their presence by absorbing some of the starlight. Oxygen, water vapor or other gases that do not belong on dead worlds could very well provide the first evidence of life elsewhere"

So oxygen and water vapor are evidence of life and "do not belong" on planets that have no life? I wasn't aware that these could only be produced by living organisms.

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postscowl, on 13 September 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

So oxygen and water vapor are evidence of life and "do not belong" on planets that have no life? I wasn't aware that these could only be produced by living organisms.
Oxygen is extremely reactive.  For this reason any free oxygen in an atmosphere soon reacts with something.  For there to be free oxygen then requires something that constantly replenishes it, and the only thing we can figure it might be would be life (photosynthesis).  I agree with you about water vapor.

#10    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Post removed, as it duplicates information in the previous post.

Edited by bison, 13 September 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#11    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,599 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 13 September 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Oxygen is extremely reactive.  For this reason any free oxygen in an atmosphere soon reacts with something.  For there to be free oxygen then requires something that constantly replenishes it, and the only thing we can figure it might be would be life (photosynthesis).  I agree with you about water vapor.

they're in orion...

http://www.nasa.gov/...el20110801.html

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

What you refer to is not in the atmosphere of a planet.  I have to say to be "corrected" with such ignorance is frustrating.  Oxygen is a common element found in interstellar space because the molecules and atoms (if the gas is ionized) are too far apart for much chemistry (although fairly complex molecules have been found).

#13    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yes it smells with the idea that man is master of the universe and only he decides how many aliens there are out there.

Posted Image

#14    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 13 September 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Oxygen is extremely reactive.  For this reason any free oxygen in an atmosphere soon reacts with something.  For there to be free oxygen then requires something that constantly replenishes it, and the only thing we can figure it might be would be life (photosynthesis).

That assumes that there is always something on the surface of every planet for the oxygen to bind with. It's possible that the static surface of a planet has been fully oxidized leaving the rest of the oxygen trapped in the atmosphere. Chemical reactions on planets tend to run their course and stop.

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

View Postzoser, on 13 September 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Yes it smells with the idea that man is master of the universe and only he decides how many aliens there are out there.
Now that approaches absurdity.  All it does is give us a handle for predicting the odds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users