Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I am about to die

joz48

I am writing this as I need to discus my own mortality, 5 years ago I had tumours removed from what was left of my pancreas I then developed diabetes then multiple neuropathy, several months ago I had heart failure of my left ventricle and four weeks ago a major heart attack.

I now feel very close to death and over the limited time I have left I would like an open discussion about people's thoughts and beliefs about death and what maybe there after.

• Like 7

There is way too much evidence that there is more to life than what we see and know. Anyone who says otherwise is extremely scared or ignorant. I believe you need to just let it take you when the time comes. Give in to it. I think if you fight it or try to cling on, you'll be stuck between the two places.

I wouldn't like to say what comes after but can it really be any worse than this? In no way am I depressed or shut away, but when you really look at the world we live in, it's a pretty terrible place on the whole. There are moments of beauty and good but everything is marred by war, death, entertainment and evil.

I'm sure all your fear will fall away when you are taken through the door. It is going to happen, whether you like it or not, so look forward to it!!

All the best.

• Like 2

My condolences on the suffering you've had. You certainly have had more than most. I have never been told I would die soon but I did once become so despondent that I decided to end my own life and the thought process leading up to that had me contemplating the same things, albeit from a much different level of clarity. I firmly believe that death is a transition from one level of consciousness to another (much higher) level. I believe we are created beings and we are here in this place for the purpose of an education. Death is the return to our real home after we have "finished school" so to speak. I believe that the Jewish messiah, Jesus the anointed one, IS God in human form who came to teach humanity how to live in peace but I realize that more than 2/3 of the world does not believe it. I don't fear going home but I'm human and in this state I fear the potential pain of the transition. It may sound strange but there are many times when I long for that stepping over because I DO believe it will be better. I will pray for your peace in this time. My best wishes to you! :)

• Like 4

Good morning joz,

I am very sorry for your circumstances. I believe this must be hard for you, no matter how long you've had to think about it. I cannot presume to know what you are going through. I do want to encourage you though.

As consistent as death is, I cannot help but think that it is unnatural; like it was not supposed to be this way. I do not think that we just make this stuff up. There is a reason why we get so angry about death. It feels to be an injustice, like we have been robbed.

The Bible, in my opinion, gives the best reasoning to all of this: This thing called sin has messed up all of the natural world, including human nature, and the Designer of this universe Himself became a man like us to fix it. We hope for the life we know we should have. The Bible offers the message of hope that the Maker Himself has promised us this life.

You can have this life. Not just life, but life abundantly. An eternal life not only in quantity, but in quality as well.

I'm sure that there are other explanations about the afterlife to choose from. If you find this one reasonable, I would like to talk more about it with you.

• Like 4

Difficult circumstances.

On a personal level, I'm not entirely sure what I believe, and what I mostly *think* I believe tends to be contradictory.

I do think that the "soul" (personality, etc) hangs around after death for awhile, and that they do care about what happens afterward (I tend to think this of almost all mammals, particularly pets.) I kind of like Terry Pratchett's concept that you go to the place that your own beliefs suggest.

• Like 5

There is no soul. Do some introspection for once and don't just take what the preachers say. If you sit quietly and "watch" your mind function you can see that it is process, not thing. Also it dies and is reborn from moment to moment.

(As far as who is the watcher, that is just you recalling from short-term memory what you mind was doing a few moments ago).

"After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." - Albus Dumbledore :)

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. I wish you a peaceful transition when the time comes. I will keep you in my prayers!

The truth is that we are all closer to death every minute, hour, day... It's called aging. Sadly some of us leave earlier, due to various circumstances...

• Like 6

Joz,thanks for sharing these very personal circumstances and feelings. I have served for years as a pastor and chaplain, and have accompanied many people part way--even most of the way-- on their final journey. What I learned from them is that fear dissipates and a clear sense of belonging, both to this world and whatever world is to come--is usually compelling and sometimes joyful. As andthen mentioned above (#3), one might liken death to a homecoming: a completion of physical life and the offering of a vastly different (so much so as to be indefinable except through metaphor and conjecture) afterlife.

These are just the opinions of one person who trusts that there is more to life than living the present life.

I appreciate your courage and willingness to look your ultimate destiny straight on. I wish you continued strength as you continue on your path.

• Like 5

You lose your fear of death, but not the fear of dying. This applies even if you think there is nothing afterward.

I am so sorry this has happen to you. The night my wife died, her friend's grand daughter, (with whom she has been close too), Got up in the morning all excited talking about my wife coming to visit her that night. Her Grandmother told her that she had not been there and had died during the night. The little girl insisted she had been there and ask her to give me a teddy bear she had in her room that said. I love you, on it. Her grandmother called me and ask to come over. When they got there they told me the story and gave me the bear. I believe that child told me the truth. I think there is more going on than we can know at this time. I'm a Pagan and believe in reincarnation, so in away the Universe recycles, but I am not sure what happens, none of us are. We all find out in the end. though.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 8

We cannot know for certain what is beyond the threshold of physical death with any real certainty, but whether science is right or religious thinking is correct I have to believe we go on. Personally for me I know that reincarnation is what happened because I was born with memories of my previous life and described them as soon as I could speak in full sentences. I live my whole life on borrowed time as doctors told my Mother I wouldn't live past 15 or so from a congenital birth defect. I am 41 now and while I know I am lucky to have the time I do, I have contemplated death a lot. The universe is so vast and so old that I choose to believe that what humans have become, what we create and our love goes on in some form and isn't lost. There is so much we don't know or haven't fully grasped about our place in this vast universe that the possibilities far outwieght the slim chance that there is nothing that comes after this life. If it is nothingness, then we won't know or feel pain or anything. I don't believe in hell or purgatory save for ones we ourselves create either here or in what comes after. I see no need for eternal damnation or suffering after this life ends we have enough of it here. I think its all out there waiting for us but on a time scale we as finite humans in finite bodies can't experience until we aren't physical anymore. When we have more to learn we come back and when we don't have more to learn here I imagine other planes of existence. I hope your journey is calm and I hope that if you are going to die it is peaceful and without pain and fear.

• Like 5

Letting go of negative emotions is the best thing one can do.If there is something after or not, it's best to leave undesirable luggage in the Locker at the Train station.

• Like 3

Indeed a difficult time for anyone. I hope that perhaps you can bust through those harsh medical conditions.

I choose to believe in an afterlife, as energy can not be destroyed, only changed.

My thoughts and prayers towards you.

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear that you are so unwell. I believe in life after death, that there is eternal life. I have had personal experiences after my twin died that gave me comfort knowing that she has not gone in the spiritual sense. I am Catholic and also find comfort and hope in my faith..... that Jesus comforts me in my hour of need.

I will remember you in my prayers.

• Like 3

I think the best Non-Religious advice I could give is clear up any Regrets. Whatever happens in the Afterlife, it will be your Regrets that follow you there. Even if you are Atheist, dying after making peace with everything in your life will make dying a peaceful experience rather then fearful, angry or sad.

As a Christian, I'd say that even if you don't want to profess Jesus as your Savior now, you might want to Confess anything wrong that you've done and ask someone... anyone, for forgiveness for those things. God and Jesus are infinite in their capacity for forgiveness, and it is only people thinking they are not worthy of forgiveness that hold people bad. God and Jesus also have infinite capacity to love, and they want you to go to Heaven. Just keep in mind that if you eventually appear before Jesus, He's going to ask if you have anything to confess (He already knows, but confession from the mouth is best), and He'll ask if you believe He can save you. If you say Yes, then you're on your way to Heaven.

Live your life in the best "Good" manner you can. Forgive those who have wronged you. Make peace in your life and remove regrets.

• Like 4

I am really sorry to hear about your situation. I wish you the very best.

I don't think death is the end of anything. I have seen a ghost so I am very confidant about that. I think death is a metamorphosis of sorts.

The only thing I would recommend you do is tie up any loose ends and don't leave something unsaid.

• Like 4

I hope we don't become ghosts (disembodied spirits unable to do hardly anything except float around). Sounds horrible.

If I find myself in that situation I will reincarnate as soon as possible. (Get the rebirth process started to be accurate in the way I express it).

• Like 1

I think the best Non-Religious advice I could give is clear up any Regrets. Whatever happens in the Afterlife, it will be your Regrets that follow you there. Even if you are Atheist, dying after making peace with everything in your life will make dying a peaceful experience rather then fearful, angry or sad.

Live your life in the best "Good" manner you can. Forgive those who have wronged you. Make peace in your life and remove regrets.

Emphasis mine.

VERY well said by you, DieChecker.

• Like 1

What's the point of worrying about regrets after you are dead? It is the people who go on living who want to be sure they have no unclosed regrets regarding those who die, and it has to be done before they die, so it should be done right now.

A woman who I am close to has what I think is a lovely way of looking at life and death. Two parts of one life - whereby you have this life in this body, but the sum total of what you are can't be contained within that framework, so part of you exists outside of it (call it part of the soul, spirit, what you like). It's that external part that nudges us in certain directions, makes us think of the deeper questions, and to find out who we are...we are all constantly trying to marry the two thoughts together, even that means ignoring and favouring just the school of thought in this body and this existence.

When you die, that other part carries on, on to the next chapter...therefore you carry on in that part.

I thought it was a lovely way to look at life.

• Like 1

My long time friend, Chris Nelson, died of stage-4 lung cancer about 2-years ago.

I have spoken about this before, but is worth repeating.

One day I saw him at the golf club(just a few months prior to his death), and he seemed so very happy, so I took him aside and asked him if anything positive had changed.

He said "no", but had a beaming smile on his face.

He said to me, "I have lived a long life and I have no regrets."

Granted, I'm sure he was taking prescribed serious-duty pain meds, but he seemed so coherent, and I will never forget his acceptance and beaming smile.

Here is his obit... not that it matters of course.

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/announcements/obituaries/christopher-john-nelson/article_aa5a2823-c122-55c6-88ae-31a1e172d95a.html

• Like 2

Remember the movie "What Dreams May Come"?

It absolutely resonated.