Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What music do you listen to?

White Crane Feather

I have always thought that you can tell a lot about a persons inner self based on what kind of music they listen to.

What do you listen to? If there is a why then explain that to?

I have always thought that you can tell a lot about a persons inner self based on what kind of music they listen to.

Cool topic my answer is fairly easy to explain,i listen to some of everything but my favorites date back to the 60's,70's,and some 80's.Why?Because musicians still had talent!I can throw in classical,and some from 30's,40's,and even 50's and give reasons why but lets see how this topic unfolds first lol

Predominantly 1970's music, and some random dated stuff.. Oh, and love Pink Floyd..

Why??? Dunno? I guess the 1970's was more alive for me. It was a groovy era.. and I'm still stuck there..

Edited: Come to think of it, it's because the lyrics were more up-beat.. feel good.. meaningfull.

Edited by Professor T

Predominantly 1970's music, and some random dated stuff.. Oh, and love Pink Floyd..

Why??? Dunno? I guess the 1970's was more alive for me. It was a groovy era.. and I'm still stuck there..

Echoes the best of Pink Floyd is number 3 on my playlist T!You been hacking my computer? :lol:

Anything. I like my music to be somewhat mellow and a bit sad at times, like Snow Patrol for instance.

Oasis would be my favorite band.

Echoes the best of Pink Floyd is number 3 on my playlist T!You been hacking my computer? :lol:

I've every Album. (on cd) :D

ya give em a short, sharp, shock, ya dig it!

• Like 1

Anything. I like my music to be somewhat mellow and a bit sad at times, like Snow Patrol for instance.

Oasis would be my favorite band.

That's so weird Sean...., you have this energetic bite your ass off side, then this melancholy **** the world side..... Hmmmm I'm expecting a lot out of you... Sorry.

When young, I loved to dance, probably because I was very small, I was not that good at sports. Had to think too much so was lousy at it. Dancing took no thought, so I tend to like music that I can ride, or allow it to get into my blood and carry me. It is like flying I guess.

I have always like bass, so heavy metal is still something that I like to listen to from time to time. It seems to relax my brain and allows some of my angry emotions to have expession. I like club music because it is made for dancing. So today at 64 I don't go out dancing, but when I listen to the music my soul does zoom up and away and circles back again LOL.

I like country western from time to time, it deals with life and the human struggle. I like Christian music, world music, sitar in a special way. However, I am a reader, so I don't buy much music, and only listen when in certain mood.

I like some high brow music but I am a low brow by nature LOL.

peace

mark

Are you going to tell us what our choices mean? :w00t:

I think it's a hard question. I could not put it into one catagory. My playlist looks like it is a combination of several very different people. Depends largely on my mood or activity. I have old country like Patsy Cline, Russian rock- Slot, contemperary christain like Flyleaf, other stuff like Seether, Evanescence, Adele, Celtic, bagpipes, Roberta Flack, Pink Floyd.

I'm open to lots of stuff, except rap and almost all the current crap. :su

• Like 1

I love Gorecki's Sorrowful Songs, Mozart's Clarinet Concerto (went to a symphony performance and half the audience wept), Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert, Kitaro's Silk Road, Prince's 1999, Thievery Corporation, Talking Heads Stop Making Sense, Adele, Iris Dement, John Prine, Steely Dan, Mark O'Connor's Appalachian Waltz, the old 60's group Love (Arthur Lee was genius), Enigma, Tori Amos. I stream KPLU at work, middle of the road jazz. This is my short list!

Edited by Beany

Ramsteinn, Metallica, Apocalyptica, classical music, guitar, piano, percussion, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Dead Can Dance, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Johnny Hollow, Nat King Cole, Fleetwood Mac (the old band from the 60/70's), Jethro Tull, Tom Waits, Alan Parson's Project, Disturbed, Nirvana, Neon Egypt, James Brown, Skunk Anansie, Talking Heads, Tvangeste, Buena Vista Social Club, Kimmo Pohjonen, Chopin (nocturnes), Claire Brown & The Banging Rackettes, and...and...and...

Why?

I love music.

And this one I listen to often, lol, and when I do, I jump around my room:

Oh, and Celtic-ish music, like "Paddy's Leather Breeches" by Angus Mohr:

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/1359761

And also this:

[media=]

Edited by Abramelin

I have a play-list that contains several thousand items (many compositions with several different performers) that plays at random pretty much everything from 1300 to some modern serious composers. This includes all the schmaltz of the late nineteenth century, so it is not entirely highbrow.

My first introduction to classical music (growing up in a Vietnamese farming village) was Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet, and I couldn't believe something so wonderful actually existed. Now of course it strikes me as an old war-horse.

Maybe an extension to what Seeker posted:

-1- Why do people love music a lot, and why do others not care much for it at all (yes, they do exist, lol)?

-2- Why do some people prefer to listen to only one kind music (jazz OR blues, OR classic OR folk OR rock OR love songs, and so on), and why do others love many kinds of music?

-3- Does the kind of music you listen to depend on the mood you are in, and/or is music able to change your mood?

-4- What other effects does music have on you? Does it help you to concentrate, to forget, to remember, to want do physical exercises, what?

I think music is a very interesting phenomenon because it is able to touch something deep down in us. It is able to resonate with (some deeper layer of) your psyche,

Only oders are able to touch an even deeper level.

+++

EDIT:

I'd like to add another point:

-5- Is the kind of music someone prefers related to someone's IQ?

I know this is non politically correct question, but let's be fair: people who prefer classical music above all other types of music are often considered to be intelligent.

I know from experience that that is not always true, btw. And I have had my thoughts about people prefering country-and western style music, but I have met very creative and smart people who loved it.

Edited by Abramelin

Maybe an extension to what Seeker posted:

-1- Why do people love music a lot, and why do others not care much for it at all (yes, they do exist, lol)?

-2- Why do some people prefer to listen to only one kind music (jazz OR blues, OR classic OR folk OR rock OR love songs, and so on), and why do others love many kinds of music?

-3- Does the kind of music you listen to depend on the mood you are in, and/or is music able to change your mood?

-4- What other effects does music have on you? Does it help you to concentrate, to forget, to remember, to want do physical exercises, what?

I think music is a very interesting phenomenon because it is able to touch something deep down in us. It is able to resonate with (some deeper layer of) your psyche,

Only oders are able to touch an even deeper level.

+++

EDIT:

I'd like to add another point:

I know this is non politically correct question, but let's be fair: people who prefer classical music above all other types of music are often considered to be intelligent.

I know from experience that that is not always true, btw. And I have had my thoughts about people prefering country-and western style music, but I have met very creative and smart people who loved it.

YOu're just being cheeky again ain't you ?

I listen to predominantly hard rock, metal, newer bands

But also listen to soothing blues, electric blues, alternative music

and...when I'm in the bath...I listen to Magic Merlin: The Heart of Reiki exclusively (and always burn a candle)

btw...I am listening to Emma_Acid's track...it's very interesting...but now, it is making me a little nervous... :unsure2:

• Like 1

Opinions :

Consensus is always the old days sounds better, fact; but why ?

Opinions :

Consensus is always the old days sounds better, fact; but why ?

I think it is simply because that is what we listened to during our formative years. It really doesn't matter how old a person is either...people who are in their nineties enjoy listening mostly to the music of their youth. It's always Classic when it is what we knew way back when.
  • Like 1

I think it is simply because that is what we listened to during our formative years. It really doesn't matter how old a person is either...people who are in their nineties enjoy listening mostly to the music of their youth. It's always Classic when it is what we knew way back when.

Janis Joplin ... made more than a few of my friends wet their pants when I pushed up the volume. :lol:

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

There's definitely a relation. Nobody intelligent listens to rap. Nobody.

• Like 4

Starting with Guillaume de Machaut (14th.Cent.), through the Renaissance and on to 19th.Cent. 'work & war' folk music. 20th.Cent? - Floyd, Stones, Doors, Steeleye Span styles. Modern? Not a single scrap!!!

• Like 1

I am listening to almost everything, regardless genre. Like the old proverb: A good song is a good song is a good song.

Just browsing a sample of my YouTube playlist:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [HD] - YouTube

Y&T - Shes a Liar

and Enigma Voyageur (this one is awesome listening while driving the car at night)

to this

to Chickenfoot - "Soap On A Rope" Music Video [HD] - YouTube

to Yo-Yo Ma plays the prelude from Bach´s Cello Suite No. 1 - YouTube

and JOHNNY CASH - Redemption Day - YouTube

and

and

and Marilyn Manson - Rock is Dead

SAXON SIXTH FORM GIRLS - YouTube

Mudvayne - Not Falling

Supertramp - The Logical Song

Rancid- Time Bomb

ASTRAL PROJECTION - Searching For Ufos

..so yeah, I listen to pretty much everything, as long it's a good song. :)

Edited by EllJay

Actually, I'd say that out of all the creative outputs and arts, music is the most universal. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who isn't interested in it.

People only listen to 1 type of music for same reason they only eat the same food, watch the same films and never travel abroad. Probably.

Absolutely. Altho, out of 40,000 tracks on itunes, I'll be honest - there isn't a lot of happy clappy stuff on there. Think its harder to do darkness well, and with less clichés, than it is to be bright and jolly.

I'm a designer, so its invaluable. Without music, I'm distracted to do something else every 30 seconds. With music I zone out for hours and just concentrate on my work. And before I know it, its home time!

No. Its probably more to do with upbringing. Those who listen to classical music probably (I say probably) had a more academic upbringing. Also, all music has an element of musical and social theory behind it - so anyone of any IQ can be into any type of music.

• Like 3

There's definitely a relation. Nobody intelligent listens to rap. Nobody.

I didn't expect anything else from you , lol.

I know what other site you post on.

But I can tell you: I don't like most if not all rap either.

It's poetry, ok, but not music.