Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

What music do you listen to?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#16    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,688 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

I listen to predominantly hard rock, metal, newer bands
But also listen to soothing blues, electric blues, alternative music
and...when I'm in the bath...I listen to Magic Merlin: The Heart of Reiki  exclusively (and always burn a candle)

btw...I am listening to Emma_Acid's track...it's very interesting...but now, it is making me a little nervous... :unsure2:

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#17    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,257 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Opinions :

Consensus is always the old days sounds better, fact; but why ?

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#18    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,688 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 21 February 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Opinions :

Consensus is always the old days sounds better, fact; but why ?
I think it is simply because that is what we listened to during our formative years.  It really doesn't matter how old a person is either...people who are in their nineties enjoy listening mostly to the music of their youth.  It's always Classic when it is what we knew way back when.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#19    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,257 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

View Postjoc, on 21 February 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

I think it is simply because that is what we listened to during our formative years.  It really doesn't matter how old a person is either...people who are in their nineties enjoy listening mostly to the music of their youth.  It's always Classic when it is what we knew way back when.

Janis Joplin ... made more than a few of my friends wet their pants when I pushed up the volume. :lol:

Edited by third_eye, 21 February 2013 - 07:35 PM.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#20    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 21 February 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

-5- Is the kind of music someone prefers related to someone's IQ?

There's definitely a relation.  Nobody intelligent listens to rap.  Nobody.

#21    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,800 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Starting with Guillaume de Machaut (14th.Cent.), through the Renaissance and on to 19th.Cent. 'work & war' folk music. 20th.Cent? - Floyd, Stones, Doors, Steeleye Span styles. Modern? Not a single scrap!!!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#22    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,582 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I am listening to almost everything, regardless genre. Like the old proverb: A good song is a good song is a good song.

Just browsing a sample of my YouTube playlist:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo  [HD] - YouTube

Kool & The Gang - Get Down On It - YouTube

Y&T - Shes a Liar

and Enigma Voyageur (this one is awesome listening while driving the car at night)

to this Glenn Miller LIVE - "In The Mood" - YouTube

to Chickenfoot - "Soap On A Rope" Music Video [HD] - YouTube

to Yo-Yo Ma plays the prelude from Bach´s Cello Suite No. 1 - YouTube

Ludwig van Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata  - YouTube

and JOHNNY CASH - Redemption Day - YouTube

and LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem ft. Lauren Bennett, GoonRock - YouTube

and The Clash - London Calling - YouTube

and Marilyn Manson - Rock is Dead

SAXON SIXTH FORM GIRLS - YouTube

Mudvayne - Not Falling

Supertramp - The Logical Song

Rancid- Time Bomb

ASTRAL PROJECTION - Searching For Ufos

..so yeah, I listen to pretty much everything, as long it's a good song. :)

Edited by EllJay, 21 February 2013 - 08:49 PM.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#23    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,485 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

-1- Why do people love music a lot, and why do others not care much for it at all (yes, they do exist, lol)?

Actually, I'd say that out of all the creative outputs and arts, music is the most universal. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who isn't interested in it.

-2- Why do some people prefer to listen to only one kind music (jazz OR blues, OR classic OR folk OR rock OR love songs, and so on), and why do others love many kinds of music?

People only listen to 1 type of music for same reason they only eat the same food, watch the same films and never travel abroad. Probably.

-3- Does the kind of music you listen to depend on the mood you are in, and/or is music able to change your mood?

Absolutely. Altho, out of 40,000 tracks on itunes, I'll be honest - there isn't a lot of happy clappy stuff on there. Think its harder to do darkness well, and with less clichés, than it is to be bright and jolly.

-4- What other effects does music have on you? Does it help you to concentrate, to forget, to remember, to want do physical exercises, what?

I'm a designer, so its invaluable. Without music, I'm distracted to do something else every 30 seconds. With music I zone out for hours and just concentrate on my work. And before I know it, its home time!

-5- Is the kind of music someone prefers related to someone's IQ?

No. Its probably more to do with upbringing. Those who listen to classical music probably (I say probably) had a more academic upbringing. Also, all music has an element of musical and social theory behind it - so anyone of any IQ can be into any type of music.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#24    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostEverdred, on 21 February 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

There's definitely a relation.  Nobody intelligent listens to rap.  Nobody.

I didn't expect anything else from you , lol.

I know what other site you post on.

But I can tell you: I don't like most if not all rap either.

It's poetry, ok, but not music.

#25    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

And thanks for your great post, Emma.

#26    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I listen to everything. Including classical and rap. I don't particularly like anything after the year 2007. Not sure why. It just doesn't feel real anymore. There is no emotion in the garbage "musicians" spew out these days.

Anyway here is my story; As a young boy, I listened to whatever my mother listened to. Which included rock, modern pop, rap, alternative (all of this on the same radio station.) Then we would listen to country or sometimes classic rock from the 70s or 80s. When she married my stepdad, we were basically forced to listen to exclusively country, because it was the only station we could pick up. So I obtained a CD player and some CDs. Then I purchased a better radio and was able to hear a rock station. Then I got heavily into hard rock music and 80s metal. Eventually, I wanted more so I got into heavy metal new and old. I began to despise newer country songs so I altogether stopped listening to it. I lost taste for pop and rap during this time as well. At some point I started listening to 50s and 60s rock, blues and pop. I even like disco when the mood strikes me. I'm not sure how I got into classical. I guess it was subconsciously through movies and video games. I also enjoy music from other countries such as Rammstein from Germany and I listen to a lot of Japanese rock and pop (because of anime.)

I like listening to metal when I am angry. Classical or something calm when I want to relax. When I want to feel nostalgic, I might play some Fuel or Matchbox Twenty. But other than that I just listen to whatever my iPod plays next.

SRS

#27    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

CCR,  Three Dog Night, John Denver, Helen Reddy,  Neal Diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, Peter Paul and Mary,  ONJ,  Frank Sinatra and the other original rat pack members, Midnight Syndicate, Fleetwood mac, Jefferson Airplane,  Johnny Cash, C.W.McCall,  Red Sovine,   The Carpenters,   Alabama,   and especially almost anything that is instrumental only. ( including Muzac ).
i forgot to mention jim croce and the piano guys

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 22 February 2013 - 02:17 AM.

#28    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

I listen to all kinds of music. Rock is my favorite. I like the genre, and it incorporates other genres and styles of music. That keeps things interesting. I preferred hard rock and heavy metal when I was a kid. I added alternative rock to the mix when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of a lot of new acts. Part of that is generational, and part of that is marketing (grist for another thread).

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#29    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 21 February 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

I didn't expect anything else from you , lol.

I know what other site you post on.

But I can tell you: I don't like most if not all rap either.

It's poetry, ok, but not music.

If rap is poetry then the meaning of the word poetry has taken a serious nosedive since the creation of the word.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#30    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

• Truth is an experience not a belief"

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

Depends on my mood and what I need the music for. I prefer dance/trance beats free from 'emotional imprints' for meditation over mellow and slow. I'm a fan of the 80's 90's because i think music was just better then and more feel good. When I'm relaxing i like enya, chillout, Celtic folk music. I go through times where i don't like to listen to anything at all because it imprints too much. Rather than making me feel centred i start to feel /read everything the creator experienced and felt, and its not always nice.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy, 22 February 2013 - 05:58 AM.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users