Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Impending Attack on the Olympics in Russia

pallidin

With the recent attacks on civilians, and the "suggestion" that radcal Islamic militants have "pre-prepared" attacks in the "security zone", any thoughts ?

I'm wondering why they would tip thier hand so early if the real goal is to attack the olympics?

• Like 2

With the recent attacks on civilians, and the "suggestion" that radcal Islamic militants have "pre-prepared" attacks in the "security zone", any thoughts ?

Oh yes, I have lots of thoughts and lots to say, but its a no go subject for me now.

leave it to Putin, unlike Cameron, he will sort the radical islamists out.

enough said from me.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

I guess Putin is saying that this will be the most protected Olympics in history.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

I didn't know who or what was behind the bombings in Russia til I just read up on it. According to the Huffington Post article I read, there was a video released in July by the leader of the radical Islamists in the area urging maximum force to prevent the games from being held.

Do I think something will happen? I think it's likely and I wouldn't put it past any radical religious group to use violence to achieve their ends.

I think it's sad that we have turned something that was meant to be uplifting for athletes who work hard most of their lives into something meaningless. It started with the drugs and now it's moved into using something very UNpolitical to make a very political statement. Perhaps it's time to end the Olympics for good. After all, the host cities dig themselves into financial black holes trying to outdo one another. The motto for the Olympics is Citius, Altius, Fortius; not "can we outdo the host country from four years ago?"

The bomb attacks now which have killed innocent people and injured many, is the main priority now, not only in finding those responsible behind them but also to prevent more bombings, the Olympics are not more important than those who are dying NOW.

yes the olympics may be at threat, but the security will be tighter than a knats behind, the unprotected people on the street need to be protected...now.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's time to end the Olympics for good. After all, the host cities dig themselves into financial black holes trying to outdo one another. The motto for the Olympics is Citius, Altius, Fortius; not "can we outdo the host country from four years ago?"

I disagree.The Olympics are a world-wide sporting event. It should, and must, continue regardless of politics or threat.

• Like 1

The Olympic site is about 400 K from the bombing. .. nearly as far from Moscow.. Why the rush to link these bombings with a Threat on the Olympics?

It was on The News nearly before it happened. Has anyone said why she did it? Was she one of the "black widows" ? (wives of fallen soldiers)

Horrific clip on the news of the exterior of train station during the blast ... wasn't it? terrifying .

The Olympic site is about 400 K from the bombing. .. nearly as far from Moscow.. Why the rush to link these bombings with a Threat on the Olympics?

It was on The News nearly before it happened. Has anyone said why she did it? Was she one of the "black widows" ? (wives of fallen soldiers)

Horrific clip on the news of the exterior of train station during the blast ... wasn't it? terrifying .

The "so-called" mouthpiece of these bombings have declared a direct link to the Olympics, due, in part, to the land being used was forcefully taken by the Russians from Islamic militants. They say it's a "Satanic dance" on their territory, thus not sitting well with them.

• Like 1

The most interesting aspect of all this that I've been aware of is the potential role the Saudis have admitted they might play. The king basically told Putin he could stop the attacks IF Putin would help on Syria. Putin's take seems to be "you don't tell me, I TELL YOU" :) So the bombings have begun 6 weeks prior to the games. If they continue or escalate it could raise a real difficulty for the games.

ETA: Since when have the Saudis (of all players) been so loud and insistent in public? Answer is - since Obama knifed them over Syria and Iran!

Edited by and then

Since when have the Saudis (of all players) been so loud and insistent in public? Answer is - since Obama knifed them over Syria and Iran!

Can you elaborate?

Security is going to be the most expensive ever for these games - again, and it will set a precedent for future games. Every country attending will pay the price, not just Russia.

We are being robbed by extremists of our right to gather and enjoy each others company without fear, I think that is abominable and utterly unforgiveable. Whatever their grievance, I have no interest in it, they have killed 31 people in two bombing attacks, that's what I see - cold blooded murderers and that is how they should be pursued like the base animals they have become.

• Like 4

And so the crackdown begins - as the death toll climbs to 34:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/31/world/europe/russia-volgograd-attacks/index.html?hpt=wo_c2

From the article:

Russian police have detained dozens of people in an anti-terrorism operation in Volgograd, the southern city where two suspected suicide bombings killed more than 30 people this week.

The heightened security measures, in which thousands of police officers searched hundreds of people, came as Australia announced limits on the movements of its athletes when they travel to Russia for the 2014 Olympic Games.

• Like 1

I suspect that no attacks will be made in Sochi or any of the venues. The security is too tight, though as the saying goes "We have to be lucky all of the time, the terorists only have to be lucky once". What will not be known for certain is if a long term plan has been in place for an attack, which I doubt. For instance, if I were a terrorist boss then I would have made a plan as soon as Sochi was awarded the games. Made contacts with likely contractors and by any means attempted to insert explosives into structures as they were being built. This happened in Chechnya in 2004 when explosives built into a football stadium were set off and the then president of Chechnya, Akhmad Kadyrov, and about thirty others, were killed. Also I would have pre installed weapons and ammuntion caches and made a plan that does not need electronic communications. I have no doubt that none of this has been done. What is likely is a major attack somewhere else, perhaps Volgograd again, or closer, like Krasnodar city, which is the local main transport hub for air and rail.

• Like 3

I don't agree with the overt bias in this next report but it does speak to the sentiment of some about the current situation in Russia, in particular in relation to the Sochi Games.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c1

What is clear in the article is this:

The social media is full of warnings not to use public transport. In Volgograd, the local police are being flooded with reports about supposed new explosionsand a number of factories have requisitioned buses to transport their employees to and from work.

and,

In 2009, the Islamists turned to terror attacks in Russia proper. Umarov took credit for the bombing of a Moscow to St. Petersburg train in November 2009 in which 27 persons were killed, two suicide attacks in March, 2010 on the Moscow metro in which 40 persons were killed and the suicide bombing in January 2011 of the Domodedovo Airport in which 36 persons were killed and 160 injured.

Terrorist attacks are managing to get thru on a regular basis with regards to transport infrastructure in the country - has enough been learned from these recent attacks and the above recent history to ensure a peaceful games in Sochi? I just don't know.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

Can you elaborate?

The Saudis were led to believe that Obama's actions on Syria would be forceful - that real damage was going to be inflicted on their infrastructure - airpower, armor, etc. And the threat from an Iranian nuke is very much a concern of the Saudis and they were of the impression that Obama actually meant it when he said that Iran would NOT be allowed to become a nuke weapons state. His retreat in that area has been profound. He has clearly shown that he has no intention of ever using military force to stop the Iranians should they decide to assemble a weapon from the 4 weapons worth of leu that they currently possess. Understand - I do not advocate the use of American troops in Syria - it's a no win for us. But the issue is what the Saudis were led to believe. They feel betrayed and they have wandered FAR off the reservation now - they see they are on their own and they are handling things as such.

it doesn't surprise me really

russia made big mistake by making them self lot of enemies in middle east

now they replaced usa as target for radical extremists

so i think this isn't the last we'd hear of attacks on russia

it's pity to see citizians and innocents pay for crimes their government commited against other nations

but it's just starting and am afraid it's going to get only worse

it doesn't surprise me really

russia made big mistake by making them self lot of enemies in middle east

now they replaced usa as target for radical extremists

so i think this isn't the last we'd hear of attacks on russia

it's pity to see citizians and innocents pay for crimes their government commited against other nations

but it's just starting and am afraid it's going to get only worse

It's going to get nasty I think, especially if Russia knows who was responsible - the whateverthey'recallingtheKGBthisweek will get involved and there will be deaths, the umbrella trick still works, plutonium in the water.... they'll take their toll of their enemy.

I would just hate to be a muslim in Russia at the moment,the Russians believe in Everyone is Guilty, until proven GUILTY,and so the sword will fall on the Guilty.No such thing as innocent in Russia.

I don't agree with the overt bias in this next report but it does speak to the sentiment of some about the current situation in Russia, in particular in relation to the Sochi Games.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c1

What is clear in the article is this:

The social media is full of warnings not to use public transport. In Volgograd, the local police are being flooded with reports about supposed new explosionsand a number of factories have requisitioned buses to transport their employees to and from work.

and,

In 2009, the Islamists turned to terror attacks in Russia proper. Umarov took credit for the bombing of a Moscow to St. Petersburg train in November 2009 in which 27 persons were killed, two suicide attacks in March, 2010 on the Moscow metro in which 40 persons were killed and the suicide bombing in January 2011 of the Domodedovo Airport in which 36 persons were killed and 160 injured.

Terrorist attacks are managing to get thru on a regular basis with regards to transport infrastructure in the country - has enough been learned from these recent attacks and the above recent history to ensure a peaceful games in Sochi? I just don't know.

Umarov is, by some, thought to be dead. In any event he may not be important at all. More likely he is a front man, a shouting voice for those in the background who do the real planning, and controlling. The terrible truth, that we all know, is that it is impossible to stop these attacks, only try to minimise them. Finding recruits to become suicide bombers is not easy, and though I still think a large attack may happen in another part of Russia soon, bigger than the attacks on Volgograd, I suspect that we have seen the last of suicide bombers such as in Volgrograd for a little while. All three, from October on, have been ethnic Russian converts to Islam, and therefore have the zeal of the convert. Converting to Islam is not totaly rare, but unusual, and not enough of them with suicidal desires to have a "production line" of bombers. I fear a major attack on Krasnodar city or Moscow either just before the games begin, or as they take place. Despite blatant propoganda, these terrorists are hated by the vast majority of Russian Muslims, who are mostly Tartars and have no interest in the affairs of the Caucasus, and in the Muslim areas of the Caucasus the inter ethnic tensions and hatreds are so much that there is no one voice, no one organisation of terrorists, and most ordinary people want just to live their lives. The terrorists, as is usually always the case, are not "freedom" fighters, but evil minded malcontents liked by nobody except their own inflated egos.

These attacks, by the way, are not "pay back" for Syria. Since the Syrian situation the only attacks have been the ones in Volgograd by ethnic Russians, so it hardly explains Domodedovo, Nevsky Express or any other attacks prior to the October bomb in Volgograd. These terrorists have been fooled into this by people playing a game that does not say Syria, despite any shouts here that it is so. Syria, no matter now tragic and high profile, is actually irrelevant as regards terrorist attacks in Russia, except as propoganda to say Russia is "paying a price", and it is not.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik
  • Like 1

It's going to get nasty I think, especially if Russia knows who was responsible - the whateverthey'recallingtheKGBthisweek will get involved and there will be deaths, the umbrella trick still works, plutonium in the water.... they'll take their toll of their enemy.

yeah it's only beginning and soon it will get ugly

it's muslims vs usa all over again .. only russia this time instead of usa

you should see people expressions here of russia

they rejoice of such news it's scary

people no longer care innocent or not ... russian or not what they think

so it's pretty scary situation

Too many people in this world hug their hatreds as though they are their best friends and yet all that comes of it is death and suffering, it is such a futile waste of life. These suicide bombers will be nameless to all but their own family and friends in history - just some random person in a long list of random people who did something stupid and ended their lives along with a bunch of innocents.

Too many people in this world hug their hatreds as though they are their best friends and yet all that comes of it is death and suffering, it is such a futile waste of life. These suicide bombers will be nameless to all but their own family and friends in history - just some random person in a long list of random people who did something stupid and ended their lives along with a bunch of innocents.

i both agree and disagree

you see it would make things alot easier of the offenders were just evil people

but it never is there is always depths

these people could have lost their families because russian actions

like many have here they are blinded and can no longer define right from wrong

it never is simple anymore

i cannot hate them and i cannot condone their actions eaithers

things are not as simple as they look sometimes ( bad guy - innocent guy )

no now you got ( good guys pushed to the level they became crazy murderers )

i've seen them and met some of them before and after

it looks like once a person loses everything ( family - home - children ) and all

he no longer care about right and wrong he only care about getting even and causing damage

regardless where it's directed

i just pray i don't get put in their situation ever

• Like 1

OP says "Impending attack on the Olympics in Russia". This, if I am not mistaken, implies there is a threat of violence. Well, violence has certainly happened in southern Russia. A threat of violence against the Sochi Olympics, which this thread is about, is also a threat against the people of Russia and the people of Krasnodar region in particular. A large number of the population of Krasnodar are descended from the Zaporozhian Cossacks, who when threatened with violence from the Ottoman Empire in the 17th century, sent a famous letter to the Turkish Sultan in reply. It was strongly worded and gave the Sultan no doubt that his threats of violence were treated with the contempt they deserved. There is an analogy with the present, as the descendents of the Zaporozhian Cossacks are again threatened, not by a "Turkish Sultan", but by more modern "agents", you know, the same lot who caused 9/11 and 7/7 and Madrid and Bali and the Dubrovka theatre seige, and Beslan, and Domodedevo and the Nevsky Express and Volgograd, and countless other atrocities. I think those threatened deserve a right of reply to those who not only threaten them, but also attack them. I won't include a link as the wording of the letter, in any translation, is rather strong, to put it mildly. I could make a modern "clean" version, but that may cause offence of course, but to who?, and on what grounds?, I wonder...... Anyway, for a reply to any threats from terrorists, I suggest googling "Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!", but as I said, be prepared for some "colorful" language.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik

So wait, these people whom are vaporized and have no fruit for debate are radical islamists, hahahahahaha. I think russia should investigate there nationality so they can invade, de-stabilize and murder millions over the actions of a few.