Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Siberian permafrost thaw warning

Still Waters

Evidence from Siberian caves suggests that a global temperature rise of 1.5C could see permafrost thaw over a large area of Siberia.

A study shows that more than a trillion tonnes of the greenhouse gases CO2 and methane could be released into the atmosphere as a result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21549643

• Like 1

Oh not another Warning. Can these endless parades of Experts suggest anything practical or helpful? Then what's the point of endless Warnings and Fears.

• Like 7

I don't think it's thawing at all - It just seems to be relocating to my paddock! (It's snowing again!)

PS - Our Parish Council has just decided to twin the village with Novosibirsk!

• Like 1

And so it will come to pass that Siberia will become the new Eden, a paradise on Earth. The weather will be warm and sunny, the black soil fertile and the army large, to keep the millions of climate refugees out :)

• Like 4

If the global temperature is rising, then why has it be one of the coldest winters of my life this year.

• Like 1

Yes if the temperatures do rise 1.5C it could thaw the permafrost and release greenhouse gases and methane but they aren't saying it is happening, just if.

I foresee another greenbelt ripe for farming and Agriculture if this happens. We could likely double the worlds population in such a scenario. :tu:

Oh not another Warning. Can these endless parades of Experts suggest anything practical or helpful? Then what's the point of endless Warnings and Fears.

New Zealand's leading google scientist solves Global Warming problem.

"Just leave the fridge doors open! problem solved... That'll be one Nobel prise please... :tu:

:lol:

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

Could someone explain to me how a 'global' temperature (average for the entire World) drop would affect one particular area? What if the global temperature drops, yet Siberia stays just as cold? How would the permafrost then melt?

Why not just say 'if the temperature in Siberia drops'.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

And so it will come to pass that Siberia will become the new Eden, a paradise on Earth. The weather will be warm and sunny, the black soil fertile and the army large, to keep the millions of climate refugees out :)

That is not the fear; the fear is that the Earth become like Venus with its runaway greenhouse gases.

Maybe a stupid question but is their no way of collecting the methane? If their is so much I am surprised nobody is drilling there and collecting.

Maybe a stupid question but is their no way of collecting the methane? If their is so much I am surprised nobody is drilling there and collecting.

Not really.

Collecting from a massive defuse source would be impossibly expensive. The emissions are from thousands of square miles of thawing bog and continental shelf. Its not like tapping into a geological gas deposit which tends to accumulate at one point.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

If the global temperature is rising, then why has it be one of the coldest winters of my life this year.

Actually Earth if all about energy (heat) distribution and dissipation through winds or cyclones or other natural calamities.

Earth as a closed system (kind of closed) tries to maintain its equilibrium and what greenhouse gases are doing that it is disturbing it's cycles of maintaining equilibrium.

This causes a climate change as the earth is trying to balance it out somehow and which in turn causes extremes highs in some places and extreme lows in some places and even more natural calamities.

I may not know much about it but scientists are still learning about the earth cycles and there are many things to be learn't.

I seems that if we continue like this it would be too late.

Actually Earth if all about energy (heat) distribution and dissipation through winds or cyclones or other natural calamities.

Earth as a closed system (kind of closed) tries to maintain its equilibrium and what greenhouse gases are doing that it is disturbing it's cycles of maintaining equilibrium.

This causes a climate change as the earth is trying to balance it out somehow and which in turn causes extremes highs in some places and extreme lows in some places and even more natural calamities.

I may not know much about it but scientists are still learning about the earth cycles and there are many things to be learn't.

I seems that if we continue like this it would be too late.

I thought it was a natural cycle though?

I read about the key scientists who are showing these results where funded by the big il companies. I found that strange as though there is some kind of ulterior motive.

• Like 1

I hate to jump on the alarmist bandwaggon, but if the average global temperature rose by five degrees-

Ben & Jerry would rule the world.

We always have cold and not-so-cold winters and so on and on. That is statistical noise. The concern is average temperatures, and there is abundant evidence they are increasing, that the planet's surface, as a whole, is getting warmer.

• Like 1

Because you live on just a wee tiny part of the planet?

I read about the key scientists who are showing these results where funded by the big il companies. I found that strange as though there is some kind of ulterior motive.

No evidence that anything short of a few decades of short term variability can be attributed to natural causes.

Care to illuminate us as to the source of this ground shaking evidence that oil companies have funded the "AGW scare". It would seem to me that fossil fuel companies would be very interested in research which implicates their product in environmental harm - but thats a very different thing to them financing the "scare" as you suggest.

Br Cornelius

Yup I read that news article,

Those scientists are declining climate change.

I wonder why hmmm.. lol !!

So if another comet hits that sweet spot of Russia, will the permafrost blow up?

The embodied energy within a serious asteroid strike would make it academic.

Otherwise the heating would be very localised - even if the damage were not.

Br Cornelius

Care to illuminate us as to the source of this ground shaking evidence that oil companies have funded the "AGW scare". It would seem to me that fossil fuel companies would be very interested in research which implicates their product in environmental harm - but thats a very different thing to them financing the "scare" as you suggest.

Br Cornelius

what coffey is trying to say, if you'd calm down a little and read these posts properly br, is that results released by oil company scientists says that AGW is a myth, therefore vindicating the companies involved. he never suggested anything about them 'funding the scare', quite the opposite in fact.

there was a similar case involving tobacco companies funding research that came to the conclusion that cigarettes didn't cause cancer.

No evidence that anything short of a few decades of short term variability can be attributed to natural causes.

Br Cornelius

Thought it was in this section of the forum, couldn't find it. Was posted a few weeks back.

It was becuse thye could raise up the prices of oil or something like that.

Since I personally believe that mankind's contribution to climate change is infinitesimal (other than in planned changes such as the now-fertile desert regions of Israel), I can say this without even a twinge of guilt:

I can't wait for the permafrost in Siberia to melt! Imagine the fossils, the archeological ruins, the evidence of societies that existed millinea ago! It will be a literal treasure trove of topics for Unexplained Mysteries!

• Like 1