Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saudi fatwa banning chess stirs online outcry

bubblykiss

Obviously somebody didn't let the Grand Mufti win.

He might have seen this modern depiction of westerners playing the game as well

KnightsTemplarPlayingChess1283.jpg

• Like 6

This cleric causes more animosity than chess. Going against what he says is gambling with you life.

• Like 5

Just imagine that is said by Marine Le Pen... Lefties would burn Paris to the ground...

Where are those moderate muslims ripping his beard of, egging, and walking that schmuck pantless along the streets all day long?

• Like 2

Just imagine that is said by Marine Le Pen... Lefties would burn Paris to the ground...

Where are those moderate muslims ripping his beard of, egging, and walking that schmuck pantless along the streets all day long?

Or maybe even just blogging about it or a small street protest? It's ridiculous, just ridiculous.
  • Like 2

I think that religious leaders in SA see chess as a way for people to develop intellectual skills and critical thinking so they perceives it as a threat. What if too much people start openly questionning the ultraconservative state religion and governement because of the glaring logical flaws in them?

Edited by EEHC
  • Like 3

It's ironic because they only want Pawns.

ch.jpg

172235619.jpg

• Like 4

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Islam in general, but sometimes these guys come out with some real gems.

And this is one of them!

:lol:

I wonder if that applies to Chinese Chess as well?

What about Checkers? ... Monopoly? They single out one game only? He opened up a Pandora's Box there methinks... now the Mufti will have to issue a Fatwa for every game... Better not have a problem with Risk! or I'll be drawing swords! :gun:

Anyways, this rates right up there with the best of them... like last years Fatwa by ISIS banning shaving...

- "What hairdressers do today, shaving and trimming men's beards, is an accessory to sin," it reads, according to a translation by AFP. "Thanks to our brothers from the Islamic police, an order has been issued for the shaving of beards to be banned and violators to be detained."

- "Earlier in May, he reported that the jihadist group arrested a group of young men for shaving off their beards and locked them in jail for three months. "In case they repeat their offense, IS will rule for beheading them," he said."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-beard-police-enforce-shaving-ban-mosul-1503787

But if they behead them, then for sure their beards wont grow... just thought I'd point out the flawed logic of their ways. :whistle:

Similar to what the Taliban was doing late 90's and 2000's...

- "The head of Afghanistan's religious police said Saturday he is jailing men who trim their beards for up to 10 days."

- "The rules prescribe 10 days in jail for trimming or shaving beard," said the head of the Taliban's most feared organ."

- "The detention period is reduced if the detainees pass a test, he said, without specifying what it was."

http://www.rawa.org/beard2.htm

The "detention period is reduced", probably depending on the length of the unsub's beard at the time of apprehension and how long it takes to grow to regulatory levels.

Imagine some dudes... "religious police"... coming up to you and asking "where is your beard!!!" And then hauling you away because it's not long enough or you don't have one. :lol:

That's right out of Monty Python almost! :lol:

And not to be forgotten is when they attacked our very own... ehemmm ... "Profit" McDonald(fries be upon him)...

ronmcdon.jpg

Honestly, look at that guy... He looks like he got got out of bed and said - "**** it! I've had enough of that ****in' clown!"

And the clown's ultimate fate...

pak005.jpg

Notice ... their beards aren't very long huh :whistle: ... Confusing. Maybe the guys with long beards are ok with Ronald McDonald?

And there was also this priceless gem of a protest with Evil Bert on the posters...

puppetmaster.jpg

Looks like the kid is looking at the poster thinking "wtf?" :lol:

Like I say, I'm no fan overall, but keep 'em coming!

I'm good with stuff like this. :tu:

• Like 9

Islam must be the final revelation from God. Why else would people burn a Clown Statue?

• Like 2

It's ironic because they only want Pawns.

172235619.jpg

Fake, staged!

Ok, she is playing black, it shows her with a checkmate, but her king is in check from the white bishop. And the pawns are out of place.

Edited by ZZ430
  • Like 1

GOOD! The less who understand war strategy the better :tu:

(sort of) :lol:

Edited by seeder
  • Like 5

What about Checkers? ... Monopoly? They single out one game only? He opened up a Pandora's Box there methinks... now the Mufti will have to issue a Fatwa for every game... Better not have a problem with Risk! or I'll be drawing swords! :gun:

That depends. Islam does prohibit gambling. The problem with this Saudi cleric is his equating chess with gambling. He appears to have a very low opinion of this game and probably has the ''street version'' in mind when refering to it. But chess can in fact be a real hobby and discipline so this fatwa is ridiculous.

Edited by EEHC

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Islam in general, but sometimes these guys come out with some real gems.

And this is one of them!

:lol:

I wonder if that applies to Chinese Chess as well?

Anyways, this rates right up there with the best of them... like last years Fatwa by ISIS banning shaving...

- "What hairdressers do today, shaving and trimming men's beards, is an accessory to sin," it reads, according to a translation by AFP. "Thanks to our brothers from the Islamic police, an order has been issued for the shaving of beards to be banned and violators to be detained."

- "Earlier in May, he reported that the jihadist group arrested a group of young men for shaving off their beards and locked them in jail for three months. "In case they repeat their offense, IS will rule for beheading them," he said."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-beard-police-enforce-shaving-ban-mosul-1503787

But if they behead them, then for sure their beards wont grow... just thought I'd point out the flawed logic of their ways. :whistle:

Similar to what the Taliban was doing late 90's and 2000's...

- "The head of Afghanistan's religious police said Saturday he is jailing men who trim their beards for up to 10 days."

- "The rules prescribe 10 days in jail for trimming or shaving beard," said the head of the Taliban's most feared organ."

- "The detention period is reduced if the detainees pass a test, he said, without specifying what it was."

http://www.rawa.org/beard2.htm

The "detention period is reduced", probably depending on the length of the unsub's beard at the time of apprehension and how long it takes to grow to regulatory levels.

Imagine some dudes... "religious police"... coming up to you and asking "where is your beard!!!" And then hauling you away because it's not long enough or you don't have one. :lol:

That's right out of Monty Python almost! :lol:

And not to be forgotten is when they attacked our very own... ehemmm ... "Profit" McDonald(fries be upon him)...

ronmcdon.jpg

Honestly, look at that guy... He looks like he got got out of bed and said - "**** it! I've had enough of that ****in' clown!"

And the clown's ultimate fate...

pak005.jpg

Notice ... their beards aren't very long huh :whistle: ... Confusing. Maybe the guys with long beards are ok with Ronald McDonald?

And there was also this priceless gem of a protest with Evil Bert on the posters...

puppetmaster.jpg

Looks like the kid is looking at the poster thinking "wtf?" :lol:

Like I say, I'm no fan overall, but keep 'em coming!

I'm good with stuff like this. :tu:

You just won the U.M. post of the day with this, keep em coming, I was rolling through man. Cheers!

• Like 3

If you want to win a chess match while white, move the King's pawn out first, move your Queen out to the extreme diagonal and do the same thing with your king's bishop. It's extremely rare that someone would check that move with their knight,

OMG, I'm on a jihadist hit list for tellng you that.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

And no American politicians can ever say a word in criticism of this ludicrous regime. :no:

He might have seen this modern depiction of westerners playing the game as well

KnightsTemplarPlayingChess1283.jpg

Did they use a magnetic board?
  • Like 2

Anyway, the Grand Moff clearly could do with brushing up on his history...

The game reached Western Europe and Russia by at least three routes, the earliest being in the 9th century. By the year 1000, it had spread throughout Europe.[34]Introduced into the Iberian Peninsula by the Moors in the 10th century, it was described in a famous 13th-century manuscript covering shatranj, backgammon, and dice named the Libro de los juegos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess#History

And who were the Moors? The Moors of course were Muslim inhabitants of the Maghreb, the Iberian Peninsula, Sicily, and Malta during the Middle Ages. Fool.

• Like 2

And no American politicians can ever say a word in criticism of this ludicrous regime. :no:

Anyway, the Grand Moff clearly could do with brushing up on his history...

The game reached Western Europe and Russia by at least three routes, the earliest being in the 9th century. By the year 1000, it had spread throughout Europe.[34]Introduced into the Iberian Peninsula by the Moors in the 10th century, it was described in a famous 13th-century manuscript covering shatranj, backgammon, and dice named the Libro de los juegos.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Chess#History

And who were the Moors? The Moors of course were Muslim inhabitants of the Maghreb, the Iberian Peninsula, Sicily, and Malta during the Middle Ages. Fool.

Damn Muslims expanding their damn gambling chess game. We should damn them from coming here. Damnit.

Edited by Likely Guy

Probably the cleric lost one time too many. "Beat me now, Abdullah! Ha, ha ha..."

• Like 4

Did they use a magnetic board?

And now you know exactly what the secret treasure of the Knights Templar was.

• Like 3