Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eating locusts as a pest control in Israel

Still Waters

Israel is in the grip of a locust invasion. Farmers are seeing their crops gobbled up in minutes - and some people are taking a novel approach to pest control. Eating them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21847517

• Like 1

Locusts were listed as one do the clean insects in the Bible that could be eaten, not that I would want to try them.

Many people do not realize we had a swarming type of locust in N. America, numbering in the millions or billions. They swarmed over prarie regions and were hugely destructive. Then they went extinct, the only specimens that exist today are in museums. I do not remember if they ever figured out the reason why they all died out, I think it was before the age of pesticides.

• Like 2

i've had chocolate covered grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants. the grass hoppers were kinda crunchy and without the chocolate i would have never been able to swallow them.

the ants were not to bad.

• Like 1

Well, we eat other two and four legged grain fed critters. So, why not eat six legged grain fed critters also ... But, I am hard pressed to imagine what they will name fried locust wings.

• Like 1

Why not put them in a blender and make some sort of pancakes?

No one will recognize what it is made of and you get pancakes with a nutty flavor.

Maybe pull off the legs first before putting them in the blender...

• Like 2

I find it funny how in the west we have such a weird thing with insects, especially for consumption. This is actually the most natural way of controlling their numbers, so good on them. :tu: (Better than pesticides etc)

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

If you can't beat them, eat them.

• Like 1

Great idea! we could probably live on insects and algae .. and beer

• Like 1

I never understood how ppl starved to death in biblical times when you had all those tastey grasshoppers everywhere

• Like 1

I've tried grasshoppers and meal worms and they didn't really have a lot of flavor, I suspect because they were dried and toasted or maybe I just didn't notice the taste since I was gagging and heaving. Still, I think it's a great idea. Go Israelites!

I'm glad I tried them, I can cross off, eat a bug from my bucket list. :D

• Like 5

I never understood how ppl starved to death in biblical times when you had all those tastey grasshoppers everywhere

hey ya... and if you were fortunate enough to be Egyptian, there were appetizers of frogs, lice, and flies yummmm

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

Its food, so nothing wrong with it. Maybe they can pass them on to other areas of Africa where there are staving people.

• Like 2

hey ya... and if you were fortunate enough to be Egyptian, there were appetizers of frogs, lice, and flies yummmm

My favorite pizza toppings! Yum! :sick: uurp

Locust meal is YUMMMY.

First, boil a batch until their eyes pop-out. Drain, but keeping the eyes.

Now, cook some veggies and throw the eyes in there. Mix until the eyes are staring straight-up to you.

Place the boiled locusts on a plate, put the veggie/eye mixture on-top. Make certain the eyes are still staring at you.

Season as desired.

Optional>>>> have a puke bag ready.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Locust meal is YUMMMY.

Now, cook some veggies and throw the eyes in there. Mix until the eyes are staring straight-up to you.

Place the boiled locusts on a plate, put the veggie/eye mixture on-top. Make certain the eyes are still staring at you.

Season as desired.

Sounds lovely, I'll try it once I stop heaving.

• Like 1

LOL

then we could try the chocolate chip and locusts cookies

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

Locust meal is YUMMMY.

Season as desired.

Will have to skip the Sunday lunch invite, somethings just come up, something about my great great grans goldfish not feeling too well.

• Like 1

I find it funny how in the west we have such a weird thing with insects, especially for consumption. This is actually the most natural way of controlling their numbers, so good on them. :tu: (Better than pesticides etc)

Yeah but will you eat them? Not me brother! I'd have to be pretty darned hungry.

• Like 1

Yeah but will you eat them? Not me brother! I'd have to be pretty darned hungry.

NO WAY!!! Hahaha, I was part of my point. lol

We have a shop int he UK called Selfridges and they do chocolate ants, grasshopper and other things like that. I used to always want to try them just to see what it's like, but I never could.

I tried chocolate covered ants before. It was a waste of good chocolate. The ants had no flavor but they sure were crunchy.

you know what they say, waste not, want not.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

You guys should watch this... its bizarre and awesome!

Dig in :)

http://documentary.n...-eats-roadkill/

its not actually that unusual, i have heard of many who do this, not sure about the green bit though! yuk!

• Like 1