Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Derrick Pitts, Astronomer, Wants UFOs Studied

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 08 October 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

My view is that research and study have been done, for at least decades, but for whatever reason the gate-keepers prefer to keep it all secret.

I think the same way as you on this, I mean theres no possible way the government doesnt know what these things are. I would think if the government doesnt know what they are then theres a huge problem. Because if its in the air and they cant identify it as one of there own there not just gonna let it go at that.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#17    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Derrick Pitts, Astronomer, Wants UFOs Studied With Science

Good, 'cause I don't think UFO's studied with a toaster would do much good.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#18    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostKarlis, on 08 October 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Hi psyche101,

I usually do not offer opinions about articles I copy to UM, when I post them. I post articles which *may* be of interest to UM readers. This article aroused your interest, and you have given a well-thought-out opinion about its purpose, contents, etc.

Hi Karlis

Fair enough, I can see that could open a can of worms, I understand the position entirely. It certainly is a discussion worthy article. There are more aspects to it than the headline would suggest.

As regards any inaccurate content in the article -- thanks for posting your thoughts on that. I personally am not qualified to comment on that, *but*, I hope others who are interested and have information, will add their thoughts.

No worries, I think the inconsistencies pointed out were rather blatant, and obvious contradictions. I thought the research was very poor, and I would think that Derrick Pitts must be more than disappointed in the article, I certainly would be.

I do find it a classic ETH presentation though, it tends to focus on dramatics, not the subject. This reporter is one of the crowd whom I feel taint the UFO phenomena and the search for extra terrestrial life.

Hope you and others will add more questions, and more detailed input here, :tu:
Karlis

I will have a look through, but I think I covered most of it. The article I find directly contradicts itself, I wonder how an editor passed it. It does keep pushing the "science does not look at the phenomena" view, with someone who not only works for NASA, with access to the best equipment who actually takes calls from claimants. What more is expected?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#19    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

Lord Martin Rees is the one who knows nothing about UFOs, beyond this silly caricature.

"No serious astronomer gives any credence to any of these stories ... I think most astronomers would dismiss these. I dismiss them because if aliens had made the great effort to traverse interstellar distances to come here, they wouldn't just meet a few well-known cranks, make a few circles in corn fields and go away again."

No one who has really studied this subject as I have would ever say anything remotely like this.  It shows that he simply doesn't know what he's talking about.

As for Hynek, it has been well-known for years that he did a survey of astronomers about their own UFO sightings, and there have been many over the centuries, from Edmund Halley to Clyde Tombaugh.

Lord Martin Rees isn't even qualified to be discussing this subject if he is simply going to peddle these simplistic and superficial views.

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 08 October 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#20    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Lord Martin Rees may be a great astronomer, but when it comes to UFOs he's an ignoramus.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 08 October 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#21    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

View Postarchernyc, on 08 October 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

The Huffington Post is a fairly good source for stores on UFOs and the ETH. Unfortunately, they group these stories under the subject heading of Weird News, which does not help legitimize the subject matter - in fact, quite the opposite. They, like others, tend to include silly photos and Photoshopped images that also engender negative reactions to the subject matter of UFOs etc.

btw, Leslie Kean posted the article from the OP on her FB page and said that her "book was instrumental in "converting" Derrick Pitts, along with a personal meeting."

From what I have seen, I think this paper does a terrible job, and articles like this are the prime reason the phenomena carries the tin foil tag that it does. I find it self serving claptrap, but then again, I do not find much enticing about Leslie Kean. I think she is a presenter not a researcher. It might be a good source for claimants, but so are many rags. We have the NT news here in Australia for tabloid style UFO tales. A market exists for this rubbish, just like the market for Pravda.

View Postarchernyc, on 08 October 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Dr. Franklin Ruehl, Ph.D., issues a challenge to Lord Martin Rees:

More here...http://www.huffingto...?utm_hp_ref=ufo

I wonder what the actual challenge was though? Martin Rees does not refuse to believe in UFO's at all, rather the opposite, and the very same paper says so.

Dr. Franklin Ruehl:

I am prepared to debate him anywhere, anytime, in any appropriate forum on the existence of extraterrestrial life!

Lord Martin Rees

"We should look by all possible techniques," Rees said. "We've no idea what's out there, and so we should look for anything that might seem to be some sort of artifact rather than something natural."
While Rees said he hopes real extraterrestrials will be detectedwithin the next 40 years, he's completely and "utterly unconvinced" that any ETs have been visiting Earth. "I think most astronomers would dismiss these," Rees said. "I dismiss them because if aliens had made the great effort to traverse interstellar distances to come here, they wouldn't just meet a few well-known cranks, make a few circles in corn fields and go away again."

Rees says he does not believe sufficient evidence exists to say ET is on earth, he does not deny UAP in any way shape or form as per the headline. It's just a lie. He does not even discount aliens and hopes to speak to them in the next half century. So why does Franklin have his panties in a bunch?

This illustrates why the ETH deserves a tin foil hat.

Edited by psyche101, 09 October 2012 - 12:56 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#22    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 08 October 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

Lord Martin Rees is the one who knows nothing about UFOs, beyond this silly caricature.

"No serious astronomer gives any credence to any of these stories ... I think most astronomers would dismiss these. I dismiss them because if aliens had made the great effort to traverse interstellar distances to come here, they wouldn't just meet a few well-known cranks, make a few circles in corn fields and go away again."

No one who has really studied this subject as I have would ever say anything remotely like this.  It shows that he simply doesn't know what he's talking about.

As for Hynek, it has been well-known for years that he did a survey of astronomers about their own UFO sightings, and there have been many over the centuries, from Edmund Halley to Clyde Tombaugh.

Lord Martin Rees isn't even qualified to be discussing this subject if he is simply going to peddle these simplistic and superficial views.

I do not get it MacGuffin. Where does he say only Kooks see UFO's? I cannot see that in the article in any place, or even so much as implied. He does not believe Aliens land here to talk to people, that is not at all the same thing by an means. He actually says he hopes we will be talking to ET in less than half a century. From what I can see, the headline is an outright lie. Do you not feel this sort of straw grab, that is very transparent  hurts the ETH as opposed to helping it gain credibility? If someone lies to my face, why would I trust them? That is essentially what this headline does. Lie.

And I would suspect someone who studies deep space would be more qualified to asses an alien encounter than even any Astronaut or Pilot? What he said is correct to my experience. Astronomers want to talk space, not ET, if they wanted to talk ET, they would be here, not in an Astronomy club. If you go to an Astronomy forum of a star party and start talking ET, you will be frowned upon, as it is as relevant to star gazing as is cooking pancakes. It is rude to go into a club and expect them to drop the reason they gather to discuss an unrelated subject. It would be like selling Real Estate on this board. Inappropriate.

#23    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

For the record, what Pitts endorses is the “unidentified” aspect of an unidentified flying object. “I have never seen a UFO myself,” he says, “and I am not saying that UFOs are ET spacecraft. I am saying [that] here, there is some mystery, and we should be able to address it scientifically, without all the stigma involved.”

Derrick Pitts

LINK

Lord Martin Rees, author of the new book, "From Here To Infinity: A Vision For The Future Of Science," told The Huffington Post that, while "everyone's fascinated by aliens," he's in favor of the ongoing SETI Instituteprogram -- the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.
"We should look by all possible techniques," Rees said. "We've no idea what's out there, and so we should look for anything that might seem to be some sort of artifact rather than something natural."

They do not seem worlds apart to me. Yet one is heralded, the other derided. Is this the lesson the ETH has for everyone?

Edited by psyche101, 09 October 2012 - 12:54 AM.

#24    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostSweetpumper, on 08 October 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

[/size][/b]

Good, 'cause I don't think UFO's studied with a toaster would do much good.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 09 October 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

I do not get it MacGuffin. Where does he say only Kooks see UFO's? I cannot see that in the article in any place, or even so much as implied. He does not believe Aliens land here to talk to people, that is not at all the same thing by an means. He actually says he hopes we will be talking to ET in less than half a century. From what I can see, the headline is an outright lie. Do you not feel this sort of straw grab, that is very transparent  hurts the ETH as opposed to helping it gain credibility? If someone lies to my face, why would I trust them? That is essentially what this headline does. Lie.

All I did was quote him from that Huffington Post article.  His meaning was clear enough to me.  The man is simply an imbecile when it comes to UFOs and doesn't know enough to say ANYTHING about it.  On this subject he's a total idiot.

Frankly I don't care what he talks about as long as he just stays out of our hair, because only a fool would say something like that.

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 09 October 2012 - 12:57 AM.

#26    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 2,992 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

Here's how I see it.

Our solar system is a raltively young solar system in a galaxy that has some 300 billion other such solar systems.

Now, if you beleive in evolution, you would have to consider that intelligent lifeforms developed on other planets
in our galaxy billions of years ago. billions.
How long does one think it would take for these intelligent beings to figure out how to tour the galaxy/universe?

I would be inclined to think that ET's from many star systems within our galaxy and beyond
have visited our solar system/planet hundreds of millions of years ago as a fait accompli

And if hat actually proves not to be the case, why, oh why ostricize those of who only wish to investigate that which should logically exist?

I don't get it.

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#27    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 08 October 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

My view is that research and study have been done, for at least decades, but for whatever reason the gate-keepers prefer to keep it all secret.

Hi BR

I like to look back at the times. If we consider the "super computers" that took astronauts to the moon and back, and compare them to todays calculators, they might come up a bit short. Technology is increasing, private enterprise is so large it can afford billions just for a 2 second TV ad, education is better than ever and with the advent of the Internet in depth knowledge and resources are accessible at one's finger tips.
As such, I find it hard to believe that a grade 5er could not avail themselves with as much information as any "Government" had back in the 40's. Heck I gave my son night vision googles for Christmas two years ago. Imagine that in 1950!
And of course, the global arrangement of Government makes the US Government CT simply unworkable. It just makes no sense.

#28    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 09 October 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

All I did was quote him from that Huffington Post article.  His meaning was clear enough to me.  The man is simply an imbecile when it comes to UFOs and doesn't know enough to say ANYTHING about it.  On this subject he's a total idiot.

Frankly I don't care what he talks about as long as he just stays out of our hair, because only a fool would say something like that.

That is the thing, he does not say that at all, only that paper implies he does. These are the actual words of Lord Martin Rees. UFO's are not so much as discussed with Rees. The ETH is.

"We should look by all possible techniques," Rees said. "We've no idea what's out there, and so we should look for anything that might seem to be some sort of artifact rather than something natural.

The headline is just a lie from what I can see. He seems to have no intention of getting in anyone's hair or other parts. The paper simply lied about what he said to create a dramatic headline. It's absolute rubbish.

I read the adjoining article. Crikey Moses, that is one crappy paper. I am hoping it is just the "Weird News" section that has extremely low reporting standards.

*ETA, I bet that Lord Martin Rees believes that UFO's do exist. He has not implied otherwise.

Edited by psyche101, 09 October 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#29    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 09 October 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

Here's how I see it.

Our solar system is a raltively young solar system in a galaxy that has some 300 billion other such solar systems.

Now, if you beleive in evolution, you would have to consider that intelligent lifeforms developed on other planets
in our galaxy billions of years ago. billions.
How long does one think it would take for these intelligent beings to figure out how to tour the galaxy/universe?

I would be inclined to think that ET's from many star systems within our galaxy and beyond
have visited our solar system/planet hundreds of millions of years ago as a fait accompli

And if hat actually proves not to be the case, why, oh why ostricize those of who only wish to investigate that which should logically exist?

I don't get it.

Interesting subject Earl.

How long ago do you figure Pop 3 type stars were creating elements that could eventually form life? I.E, when do you think life could have first formed, alternatively, when do you think it was possible for the first building blocks of life to exist?

Edited by psyche101, 09 October 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#30    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 09 October 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

That is the thing, he does not say that at all, only that paper implies he does. These are the actual words of Lord Martin Rees. UFO's are not so much as discussed with Rees. The ETH is.

The headline is just a lie from what I can see. He seems to have no intention of getting in anyone's hair or other parts. The paper simply lied about what he said to create a dramatic headline. It's absolute rubbish.

I don't know what you're reading, but Lord Martin Rees said the exact same thing about UFOs in the other Huffington Post article.

"I think most astronomers would dismiss these," Rees said. "I dismiss them because if aliens had made the great effort to traverse interstellar distances to come here, they wouldn't just meet a few well-known cranks, make a few circles in corn fields and go away again."

Not only is that insulting, but it's purely and simply dumb and false.

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users