Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for a Psychic

peacelover

Dear Site Members:

Someone suggested to me in a different thread that I should seek the assistance of a psychic to hopefully enable me to find some answers to a question/s I have had for some time.

I put this to the members here. Could you help educate me on this medium?

Where do I look? How do I search? What research should I do before meeting a medium of this type?

What I know of this topic: Is that I have read that some psychics have been instrumental in finding lost persons. Is this true?

I have one last question, but hesitate because I wish not to offend anyone.

Please, may I ask if psychics are real? I realize I have just opened myself up for great ridicule, but I am serious. It is not my intention to hurt anyone with my quesiton.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone whom might be able to give me some education to this topic.

Thank you

Peacelover

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peacelover

• jenk

• anything is possible

• artrox

Yes, psychics are real. Yes, there have been well-documented cases where psychics have helped police find missing people.

As for what to ask...that's dependent on what you want to know...

Well this sounds fairly important to you so first off I wish you the best in this matter, whatever your solution is.

I personally believe psychic or paranormal/unusual abilities exist and we all have the inherent potential to use them. I do think there are some people that are MORE adept at doing this than others, for whatever reason.

I do NOT think, however, that you are necessarily going to find one of these people NECESSARILY by "going to a psychic". You *CAN*, I'm sure... but I feel the chances of finding someone gifted in such a way but also advertising themselves blatantly are very slim, due to the onus of this 'gift' and sometimes unwanted attention and stress - very few truly 'talented' individuals will encourage 'regular business', as it is generally agreed this can be incredibly draining, plus potentially hazardous if someone the psychic works with has serious 'unique' problems ('bad' energy, spirits, etc).

I think in general if you hear about someone secondhand who might be psychic or sensitive, via word of mouth, its possible they might be, as that sort of humble lifestyle where *other* people know about it but its not advertised, is more likely fitting with an authentic psychic or medium. But then, I myself am not terribly impressed with most self-proclaimed psychics and mediums that hawk their wares like so much cheap jewelry.

At one time, it was postulated that true psychics wouldn't charge to help people, as it was a sacred gift and not something to be meted out for payment... but then look at doctors and such, so I guess I can't caution you TOO much against that, but do realize there ARE fakes out there that will be more than willing to take you for large sums of money and see nothing wrong with it. So whatever other advice you get here and from anywhere else, do NOT lose your JUDGMENT and REASON - be RATIONAL about any agreements or payments you decide to make. And realize also that is IS possible even if you find one, that what you need done is not a speciality of theirs, or they might not be able to do it, for whatever reason - you need to keep that possibility in mind.

You seem fairly vague, maybe secretive, so this appears to be a personal question or matter, but it would help if you could say what the question or issue involves or basically the kind of answer you're wanting, if not the SPECIFIC question - other people might be able to help steer you in the correct direction with more information.

As for myself, to be on the safe side, I say unless this is REALLY something vitally important to you, you should NOT seek out a psychic, as the likely expense and chances of it being unsatisfactory aren't worth it - then again, I could also make that recommendation if it IS important to you, since you're more likely to make less rational decisions to get an answer. In brief: BE CAREFUL.

Peacelover ,

the first place to start is to ask around , perhaps somebody you know has been to see a psychic and may be able to tell you how they felt with them .

I believe that some psychics are real but many are not as gifted as they feel they are .

Things to be wary of when getting a reading done are coments like , "I can see you don't feel particularly comfortable at the moment " , or " You have never really felt like you fit in any where. " seemingly personal but incredibly generic comments like those are considered cold reading . Also avoid wearing jewllery like engagement rings this gives cold readers an advantage they do not deserve .

And when you find a real psychic you will know .

P.S. a spiritual church can often help out with other problems . They usually have members that are willing to help out with similar problems , and they can usually be found through speciallty book shops and sometimes in your telphone book .

I agree jpatt. Very rarly would someone find someone with a true talent with a sign above their door saying palm readings $5. I do believe psychics are real though, mostly becuase of my own experiances.

You sound like you need some help with an important issue. If you PM me with it I could see if there is a way I could help. I posted my storie on this web site and people have been helping me with my problems and I would like to help someone in turn. If you want to read my storie the name of the thread is "I need help".

At one time, it was postulated that true psychics wouldn't charge to help people, as it was a sacred gift and not something to be meted out for payment...

How about Sollog and his readings?

Edited by poleshift

I think in general if you hear about someone secondhand who might be psychic or sensitive, via word of mouth, its possible they might be, as that sort of humble lifestyle where *other* people know about it but its not advertised, is more likely fitting with an authentic psychic or medium

I have to agree with jpatt on this. I do believe that authentic psychics exist, but I doubt they're very easy to find, whereas the charlatans are. If you know anyone who's been helped by a psychic who doesn't advertise her/himself as such, that might be a good place to start. Also, if you get to the point where you meet the psychic in person, see what kind of feeling you get from her/him -- all people have some degree of psychic ability, imho, and you might be able to immediately get a sense of whether the person is really psychic or is a scumbag faker.

Things to be wary of when getting a reading done are coments like , "I can see you don't feel particularly comfortable at the moment " , or " You have never really felt like you fit in any where. " seemingly personal but incredibly generic comments like those are considered cold reading . Also avoid wearing jewllery like engagement rings this gives cold readers an advantage they do not deserve .

I also agree with Kismit. It is waaaaay too easy for a faker to glean a ton of information from you based on your physical and verbal responses to what s/he says, so be very careful not to provide any clues to her/him that might allow her/him to give you the impression that s/he is genuinely accessing some sort of information, when in fact s/he is only accessing what you are providing.

Is that I have read that some psychics have been instrumental in finding lost persons. Is this true?

In my opinion, yes it's true. It's probably provable, actually, and not just a matter of opinion, but myself I can't recall any examples off the top of my head. But certainly some police departments will use psychics, usually someone with whom they've worked before, and often only as a last resort.

One other thing -- I don't think it's wrong for a psychic (a real one) to charge for her/his services, but do be sure that the cost isn't sky-high. Personally, I think $20-$50 would be reasonable, but if it gets up towards $50 then I think the reading should be at least one hour long. If s/he wants to charge more than that, or charge that much for a 10-minute reading, then if I were you I would really start to doubt her/his intentions, honesty, and abilities.

I read your story about Peter from beginning to end, quite a while ago, and found it intriguing, one of the most involving stories on the UM forums. I hope that some day, whether through a psychic or some other (non-harmful) way, you find out what happened.

--Seahorse

peacelover,

I'm with everyone else. There are good and bad psychics. Word of mouth is the best way to find one. It may take a while but keep searching. Good luck. original.gif

Hi Peacelover

After the death of my mother I was intent on finding a psychic. I felt that I needed to ask if she was safe and warm and out of pain. I needed her forgiveness for telling her to let go when she was fighting death. I wanted her to know that I loved her and missed her terribly (as I still do every single day).

There are many people out there who are very happy to cash in on another persons' grief. They will tell you what you want to hear. Some will tell you things that you DON'T want to hear. Some will even think of themselves as grief councillers. But make no mistake - they ALL charge you a fee!

My advice?

Take more time to decide.

And if you still want to see a psychic, go by word of mouth.

And finally - a genuine psychic will not charge by the hour.........

Good luck - I hope you find the answers to your questions

Hammy x x x

I went to see a psychic once, she charged £15 a sitting, told me straight away I was up to my armpits in debt, told me why and who had been causing it, which all turned out to be true on investigation (the person reffered to was also stealing from my house which she warned me of too), then at the end of the two hours session she only took a fiver saying I needed it more than her. I found her on word of mouth, so ask around, then ask around some more.

I, for one, don't believe in psychics. Rather, I believe learning to trust and recognize your own intuition is the key.

I have been to a psychic, purported to be great, and found his "cold reading" method to be evidence of practice and skill. Anyone can do it if they care to learn the techniques, but it is a sham and a waste of time, in my opinion.

I also dated a fellow who had worked for years as a psychic. He was less perceptive and sensitive than the average man on the street, and admitted he didn't "know," just told people what they wanted to hear.

Despite this, you may actually find someone who gives you credible information.

For a fee.... I would look inward if I were you. Quieten you mind and practice this. It takes time, but your own inner knowledge is the best source of guidance.

If you believe in a higher power, that too can help.

My mother saw a psychic once. She lived next door. She told her that I would grow up to have a very frivolous career, but that I'd be really happy with it. blink.gif

I used to agree with you Saucy....... But my view changed very quickly when my life got flipped up side down and telepathy was leering in my face.

I now keep a open mind but still add a healthy dose of salt...

Dear Site Members:

Thank you for writing and offering advice. I have read each post and feel a little more prepared to search than before.

I will be seeking a psychic to hopefully retrieve some answers concerning a missing person. Someone, I once cared for very much. This is a puzzle, I have been trying to solve for a very long time. I may be grasping at hope but I feel at this point, that I have tried about everything else that I could. Hopefully, someone with this ability will be able to share some piece of information that I have not previously had that could in turn lead to some answers.

I am not sure where to look from where I am but will listen for "word of mouth" .

I will of course keep in mind all the good advice I have received from those responding to this topic. I appreciate very much your good help.

thank you

Peacelover

hey, peace lover have you ever heard of Sylvia Brown. Well if you havn't she is a well known psychic, infact shes on TV al the time. You can see her on the show montel. Her website is www.sylvia.org . Hope this helps you cool.gif

Dear Anything is Possible:

Thank you for the information. I have written down your instructions to "Sylvia" and her website. I will do a search for the site and get back to you in this post, to let you know what I find. Thanks again for the info.

Best wishes.

Peacelover

Peacelover,

I do believe psychics are real, but unfortunatly good genuine psychics are a little hard to find these days. I am in the process of developing my own psychic powers, so i know they are real, but a bit of advice is to beware of psychics who want large amounts of money for their readings, anywhere between £10-£20 is reasonable, but i don't believe they should charge anything, i always said if i developed my own powers enough, i would never charge, or i would only charge a little amount, like £5-£10 and give it to charity. that way i would be doing a 'double good'. original.gif

Also, take Kismit's advice and check out a local spiritual church, as this will usually cost you nothing and they are pretty reliable.

Good luck with your search and let me know what happens!

yes spirit you are absolutly correct, I agree with you all the way. Sylvia Brown is the exact oppisite though, she charges larg amounts of money. cool.gif