Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Brazil Nightclub Fire Kills at Least 245

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,960 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

SÃO PAULO—At least 245 people died in a fire that swept through a crowded nightclub in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria early Sunday, local television reports said. The Globo television network reported that the fire broke out around 2 a.m. local time, when the Kiss nightclub was crowded with more than 1,000 revelers. Officials said the death toll could rise, prompting President Dilma Rousseff to cut short her attendance at a summit of Latin American and European leaders in Chile and fly home.

http://online.wsj.co...0104041576.html

Wow, sad and horrible.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,287 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Nightclubs in the region have suffered similar tragedies in recent years, partly because of weak safety supervision by local governments.

Officials said the death toll could rise, prompting President Dilma Rousseff to cut short her attendance at a summit of Latin American and European leaders in Chile and fly home

=========================================================================================

Maybe she will now concentrate on making sure health and safety precautions are put to the forefront.
Awful tragedy for so many young people.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,423 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yes it is sad that so many had to die in this.  They should ban all inside fireworks or pyrotechnics.  They should also stop allowing more people in than the building can safely house and adopt some fire codes.

Edited by Hilander, 27 January 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#4    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Very tragic :cry:

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#5    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Tragedy. Out to have fun then that. I hope there families will eventually find peace.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,287 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 27 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Tragedy. Out to have fun then that. I hope there families will eventually find peace.
That will also depend on how the government and the night club owners deal with this.
"Nightclubs in the region have suffered similar tragedies in recent years, partly because of weak safety supervision by local governments."
Not only the families of these young people, but for the families of those who have died in the past. If something is done because of this recent tragedy, then maybe their child did not die in vein, but this truly is an awful thing to happen to make sure changes are made to ensure it never happen again!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,288 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Terrible news. :(  There have been other cases like it around the world and yet it keeps happening.
This is one of the reasons why I don't like being in crowds in a confined space.

http://en.wikipedia....Nightclub_fires

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#8    Feanor

Feanor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

• "If there is truly evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

This is so sad that it can’t be described.
Most of the people that died were around 16 – 25 years old…
Just a few died of burns, most died of asphyxiation due to CO2. They ran to the bathroom in belief they could save themselves there, but got stuck inside and the CO2 slowly killed them.
When the fire fighters got in the night club and reached for the bath rooms, they were shocked by the view of piles of bodies one over another.
Even tho no words can put the hearts of their relatives in peace, my prayers goes to all affected by this tragedy.
I pray that the Great Architect of the Universe bless the souls of everyone that perished in this tragedy?

#9    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,134 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

This is from CNN. Terrible!

Firefighters used the hole Basson and his friends created to get inside the club.

There, they were greeted by the eerie sounds of cell phones ringing in the pockets and purses of the dead. Many of the calls were from parents desperate to reach their children.
Full Article

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#10    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,715 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

That is so heartbreaking!  Why does it take something of this magnitude to get attention to problems that need fixing?

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#11    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,356 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Brazilian police have arrested three people in connection with a fire at a nightclub that killed 231 people in the southern city of Santa Maria on Sunday.

An owner of the Kiss nightclub, a member of the band Gurizada Fandangueira, and its security chief were being questioned, police said.

A fourth person, reported to be a co-owner of the club, is being sought

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-21232740

Posted Image

#12    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

This is shocking and so sad...  

The great fire of London there were just a few that died and it was a massive fire..I think the death toll was just 6 people..  Then a fire in a single nightclub has a death toll of over 230 .. That is astonishing and unbelievably sad

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#13    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,595 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 28 January 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

This is shocking and so sad...  

The great fire of London there were just a few that died and it was a massive fire..I think the death toll was just 6 people..  Then a fire in a single nightclub has a death toll of over 230 .. That is astonishing and unbelievably sad

Being in the fire protection industry i can tell you that there is an issue with escape routes in bars, nightclubs and back packer accomodation because either there are no emergency exit lights (they clash with nightclub lights/strobes) or the exits are locked (to prevent others sneaking in). Often, it is found that even when emergency exits are present, 90% of the occupants will use the entry/exit door they came in through causing a bottle neck and deaths at the doorway.

The best protection from the smoke/gases is a sprinkler system, which will supress a fire and therefor reduce the amount of smoke spread/thickness. But sprinkler systems are costly to install and maintain, so many developers try to avoid them.

I wish the families all the best. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be the father of a 16 year old killed in this disaster.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 28 January 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#14    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,867 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 28 January 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Being in the fire protection industry i can tell you that there is an issue with escape routes in bars, nightclubs and back packer accomodation because either there are no emergency exit lights (they clash with nightclub lights/strobes) or the exits are locked (to prevent others sneaking in). Often, it is found that even when emergency exits are present, 90% of the occupants will use the entry/exit door they came in through causing a bottle neck and deaths at the doorway.

The best protection from the smoke/gases is a sprinkler system, which will supress a fire and therefor reduce the amount of smoke spread/thickness. But sprinkler systems are costly to install and maintain, so many developers try to avoid them.

I wish the families all the best. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be the father of a 16 year old killed in this disaster.

My city has now started requiring sprinkler systems in historic buildings that had been turned into bars and nightclubs. Several of them have gone out of business because they could not afford to do so. I hated to see them go because they were great places that had been in business for decades.

#15    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,064 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

So can anyone explain the need for pyrotechnics at a club? What happened to just using lights? Pyrotechnics of any kind should be used only during outdoor events or at big places - arenas and stadiums, etc. - where something like this won't happen.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users