Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Room with no view?

Commander CMG

• Helen Coughlan, 52, who lives with her husband, two children and her mother, fears she will never be able to sell
  • Her neighbour Tariq Ahmed, built the wall just 24 inches from the house in Woodford Bridge, north east London
  • The mother-of-two redesigned her home with a massive loft conversion and installed a new kitchen
  • But a few years later Mr Ahmed put up his own extension which blocks out all natural light

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

Sounds like they should have had a chat before the process started. He hired the WORST masonry contractor I've ever seen. On the plus side, she can paint any kind of mural on the block that she wants - perhaps something showing a certain 7th century prophet lounging in things that make him feel pretty? Just an idea - the point is she should just make the best of it now - trying to change it will just cause her to lose more money.

• Like 3

Doesn't seem like there was all that much to see before the wall was erected. Seems like the properties were cramp to begin with from the pictures.

Doesn't seem like there was all that much to see before the wall was erected. Seems like the properties were cramp to begin with from the pictures.

You're probably correct. I'd think the bigger issue would be fire codes. How on earth do you stop a fire from spreading?

By keeping this out of the neighborhood.

firestarter.jpg

Edited by Dumpnuts

Knocked 100k off the value of her property? lol..it has blocked one window, she still has windows front and back on the extension....if anything she shouldn't have been allowed to put a big window on the side looking in to her neighbours property anyway. Take the window out, brick it up, and find something else to do with your time instead of complaining about this....

• Like 2

Knocked 100k off the value of her property? lol..it has blocked one window, she still has windows front and back on the extension....if anything she shouldn't have been allowed to put a big window on the side looking in to her neighbours property anyway. Take the window out, brick it up, and find something else to do with your time instead of complaining about this....

Indeed. Plenty of natural light from the many windows at the front and back of her property and claiming it knocked £100,000 off the house's value is absurd.

Of course, if he didn't have proper planning permission then that should definitely be looked into. What could they make him do if he doesn't? Demolish the extension?

maybe the neighbour is just jealous, because lets be honest, the look of the house owned by her is terrible. it looks like the roof belongs to a different house.

article-2578126-1C2FD15500000578-692_964x634.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578126/Room-no-view-Shoddy-two-storey-extension-built-without-planning-permission-plunged-familys-home-darkness-taken-100-000-value.html

The houses are all close together, that extension did no real damage - added to the "flow" of the streetscape if anything. She needs to quit whining and get a skylight. Her house is losing value because it's odd looking, no other reason imo. I live in a rowof terraces, no east or west windows because I share those walls with the neighbours. To compensate on lighting I have skylights in the upstairs hallway, bathroom and toilet. The big plus is no hot rising and setting sun beating up against my side walls, we have hot summers and I have a lovely cool home on all except the hottest days. In winter - I also lose very little heat.

• Like 1

Love Thy Neighbour.

(lol)

That can get you killed too ;)
  • Like 1