Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

An example of law based on religion

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,731 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

nebraska.statepaper.com said:

Abortion Law: Mother Denied Abortion, Then Had To Watch Baby Die
March 07, 2011

Nebraskaís new abortion law forced Danielle Deaver to live through ten excruciating days, waiting to give birth to a baby that she and her doctors knew would die minutes later, fighting for breath that would not come.

And thatís what happened.The one-pound, ten-ounce girl, Elizabeth, was born December 8th. Deaver and husband Robb watched, held and comforted the baby as it gasped for air, hoping she was not suffering. She died 15 minutes later.

The sponsor of the controversial Nebraska statute, Sen.

Posted Image Read more...
Good law, I don't think so.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,282 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

From the article

The law, the only one of its kind in America, prohibits abortions after the 20th week. It is based on the disputed argument that a fetus may feel pain at that stage
Where does it say that religion was the basis of the law?  You are just assuming that.  It's a good assumption too, but think of this.  Murder is against the law.  It says in the bible,

Thou shalt not kill
does this mean that since it says killing is wrong in the bible that laws against murder are bilically based?  If they are is that really a bad thing?  Personally I wouldn't want to be murdered myself.

#3    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,533 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

View PostOverSword, on 08 March 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

From the article

Where does it say that religion was the basis of the law?  You are just assuming that.  It's a good assumption too, but think of this.  Murder is against the law.  It says in the bible, does this mean that since it says killing is wrong in the bible that laws against murder are bilically based?  If they are is that really a bad thing?  Personally I wouldn't want to be murdered myself.

Not necessarily, but it is true that most anti-abortion activists are religiously orientated.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#4    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

Deaver, 34, and her husband planned the pregnancy and wanted a second child, she said.

Their dreams ended tragically when they learned, shortly before the premature birth, that the pregnancy could not go to term and that the fetus had virtually no chance to survive. She was in her 22nd week of pregnancy when her water broke. Abortion was barred at 20 weeks by the Nebraska law.

The standard of viability, based on the U.S. Supreme Courtís 1973 landmark decision in Roe v. Wade, is generally considered to be between 22 and 24 weeks.

Having to go through a late pregancy and loss of my last child... I can tell you one thing - if she had of aborted at 20 weeks, the pain she faced wouldn't be that much different,  I feel the impact of sudden loss would have hurt her still in the same way.    I remember when I went through late pregnancy loss and having to go in to give birth so early was a nightmare..  I didn't want to see the child in a fit of panic.. all sorts rush through your head...but I still saw her.. that made me worse off.....

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,282 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 08 March 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

Not necessarily, but it is true that most anti-abortion activists are religiously orientated.
Like I said, it's a good assumption but still and assumption.

#6    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,346 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Oxy-moron -An oxymoron (plural oxymorons or oxymora) (from Greek ὀξύμωρον, "sharp dull") is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms.

Where does it say that religion was the basis of the law?  You are just  assuming that.  It's a good assumption too, but think of this.  Murder  is against the law. It says in the bible,

:w00t:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#7    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

View PostOverSword, on 08 March 2011 - 06:44 PM, said:

Like I said, it's a good assumption but still and assumption.

Not an assumption when you see them all over the news....

Religious do not hide from that...they protest it and pride themselves on that.. and BTW - Emma said - MOST  <-- that doesnt mean all.... you should pay close attention to key words like that  lol

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,731 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

But it wasn't murder. It was a medical procedure. To say that woman murdered her child is cruel and inhuman.

Edited by Darkwind, 08 March 2011 - 07:45 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 08 March 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

But it wasn't murder. It was a medical procedure. To say that woman murdered her child is cruel and inhuman.

It is not murder if the child was at great risk of dying inside her regardless

It is only classed as murder if the baby has nothing wrong with it and not in danger - then I agree it is murder at that late stage

Im not against abortion over religious views...I only agree to it if the baby is in great danger and is the mother.... other than that I am against it

#10    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

View PostSakari, on 08 March 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

Oxy-moron -An oxymoron (plural oxymorons or oxymora) (from Greek ὀξύμωρον, "sharp dull") is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms.

:w00t:

How is 'it says in the Bible' an oxymoron?

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 08 March 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

Not an assumption when you see them all over the news....

Religious do not hide from that...they protest it and pride themselves on that.. and BTW - Emma said - MOST  <-- that doesnt mean all.... you should pay close attention to key words like that  lol

No but the assumption is that the law being referred to in the article is based on religion as the title of this thread says. There is no evidence in the article for that at all. It says the law was passed because a fetus may feel pain at 20 weeks. No other reason.

It's still a bad law (to put it mildly) but the title of the thread is very misleading (if not simply false).

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

View PostSetton, on 08 March 2011 - 07:56 PM, said:

No but the assumption is that the law being referred to in the article is based on religion as the title of this thread says. There is no evidence in the article for that at all. It says the law was passed because a fetus may feel pain at 20 weeks. No other reason.

It's still a bad law (to put it mildly) but the title of the thread is very misleading (if not simply false).

9/10 it is religious based...

#12    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,346 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

View PostSetton, on 08 March 2011 - 07:56 PM, said:

How is 'it says in the Bible' an oxymoron?

The reply :

Where does it say that religion was the basis of the law?  You are just  assuming that.  It's a good assumption too, but think of this.  Murder  is against the law.  It says in the bible,

The first part of the question ( regarding religion not being involved ) , than having the second bold in there using " it says in the Bible "

Stating to begin with where does it say religion? as a argument , than refering to " it says so in the Bible " later in the reply....A oxymoron.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#13    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,550 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

View PostSakari, on 08 March 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

The reply :

The first part of the question ( regarding religion not being involved ) , than having the second bold in there using " it says in the Bible "

Stating to begin with where does it say religion? as a argument , than refering to " it says so in the Bible " later in the reply....A oxymoron.

Ah ok. I thought you were just referring to the phrase 'it says in the Bible' on its own and i understood what the poster meant so I didn't see it as an oxymoron but as two (poorly defined) seperate statements.

1. It does not say the law is based on religion so the title is wrong.
2. Murder is against the law based on the Bible so not all religiously based laws are a bad thing.

'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#14    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,550 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 08 March 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

9/10 it is religious based...

Probably higher chances than that to be honest. But my point is that the OP does not know this and is just automatically associating a bad law about abortion with religion despite having no evidence for this.

Unless they do have evidence. In which case, it would be helpful if this was given. Otherwise it's just a very poor attempt to have a go at religion. Namely: Something bad has happened. I don't like religion. I'll just blame it on religion rather than looking into it.

Incidentally, if you do a quick search on google for 'is the nebraska abortion law based on religion' (not the best search but my brain's given up after lectures today :P), the first page is one claiming that it is. Oh wait... it's this thread. So far as I can see, no-one else has claimed it is.

Edited by Setton, 08 March 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#15    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

View PostSetton, on 08 March 2011 - 08:15 PM, said:

Probably higher chances than that to be honest. But my point is that the OP does not know this and is just automatically associating a bad law about abortion with religion despite having no evidence for this.

Evidence or no evidence - he calls it a bad law... so be it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users