Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

European Union takes the Nobel Peace Prize

Render

hmmmm.... the EU stole from the people to bail out money junkies who made bad bets created by few in each Nation and it is awarded a global peace prize for saving itself in return.... lol... haha.... I beginning to think Nobel spelled backwards actually reads Orwell.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 3

Who gets the cash? Does everyone get a cut? :w00t:

The vile, monstrous and for world dominance mongering European Commission!

Lets see 30 years war, 1680

Seven years war 1756

Napoleonic wars 1808

Hereditary enemity wars 1870

First WW 1914

Sewcond WW 1939

And that only what happened between France and Germany, we have not yet included the wars between Germany and Austria, France and Austria, France and Italy, Austria and Italy, Germany and Denmark, Germany and Sweden and Spain and Holland, Britain against all and whathaveyou.

It is pretty evident that the EU is a major peace forming organization in Europe.

Its a complete joke.

A little look at history shows the 'EU' has been attempted several times before under different names. Each time it failed because the politicians couldnt force their people to accept it and then when a recession came along they lacked the means to deal with it. Every single time it failed it triggered Europes next round of major wars.

All because some deluded freemason types in government want to recreate the Roman Empire so the second coming can happen. WW3 will come when nations start defaulting on their debts.

Congratulations on getting involved in wars not on your own land! http://en.wikipedia...._European_Union

(And I by no means think the US is better or anything, in actuality no one deserves a peace prize ever.)

Wars? Have you read the list? These are mostly military operations which did not involve any fighting.

While you read here's some music to listen to:

http://youtu.be/Jo_-KoBiBG0

Never has an award been more well earned.

From the official Nobel prize website: http://www.nobelprize.org/

"The Nobel Peace Prize for 2012

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2012 is to be awarded to the European Union (EU). The union and its forerunners have for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe.

In the inter-war years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee made several awards to persons who were seeking reconciliation between Germany and France. Since 1945, that reconciliation has become a reality. The dreadful suffering in World War II demonstrated the need for a new Europe. Over a seventy-year period, Germany and France had fought three wars. Today war between Germany and France is unthinkable. This shows how, through well-aimed efforts and by building up mutual confidence, historical enemies can become close partners.

In the 1980s, Greece, Spain and Portugal joined the EU. The introduction of democracy was a condition for their membership. The fall of the Berlin Wall made EU membership possible for several Central and Eastern European countries, thereby opening a new era in European history. The division between East and West has to a large extent been brought to an end; democracy has been strengthened; many ethnically-based national conflicts have been settled.

The admission of Croatia as a member next year, the opening of membership negotiations with Montenegro, and the granting of candidate status to Serbia all strengthen the process of reconciliation in the Balkans. In the past decade, the possibility of EU membership for Turkey has also advanced democracy and human rights in that country.

The EU is currently undergoing grave economic difficulties and considerable social unrest. The Norwegian Nobel Committee wishes to focus on what it sees as the EU's most important result: the successful struggle for peace and reconciliation and for democracy and human rights. The stabilizing part played by the EU has helped to transform most of Europe from a continent of war to a continent of peace.

The work of the EU represents "fraternity between nations", and amounts to a form of the "peace congresses" to which Alfred Nobel refers as criteria for the Peace Prize in his 1895 will.

Oslo, 12 October 2012"

Edited by Atlantia

democracy has been strengthened

Selectively; the way that the European parliament is able to impose its Policies to enforce Harmony (e.g. the unbelievably wasteful Agricultural policies and so forth) and to extort small countries in order to prop up the all-important Common Currency is hardly very democratic' date=' though, is it; the EU itself is a profoundly [i']un[/i]democratic institution. The usual response of "If you don't like it you can vote them out" hardly applies in this case, does it..

Selectively; the way that the European parliament is able to impose its Policies to enforce Harmony (e.g. the unbelievably wasteful Agricultural policies and so forth) and to extort small countries in order to prop up the all-important Common Currency is hardly very democratic, though, is it; the EU itself is a profoundly undemocratic institution. The usual response of "If you don't like it you can vote them out" hardly applies in this case, does it..

It is just as undemocratic as Westminster deciding a policy for all of Britain. After all what you got there are elected representatives. Now, if you don't like Westminster to decide heed the Scots) they want to quit Britain but remain in the EU... go figure). Or the Basques or the Catalonians or the Bavarians.

It is pretty evident that the EU is a major peace forming organization in Europe.

It is NATO - fundly mainly by American and British taxpayers - which has kept the peace in Europe for the last 60 years.

The EU has actually been remarkably inept at keeping the peace in Europe. What did it do during the break-up of Yugoslavia, apart from stand back and watch the Srebenica massacre?

As protesters dressed as Nazis riot in an Athens ruled by Brussels stooges, giving the Nobel Peace Prize to the EU is beyond satire: http://www.dailymail...-EU-satire.html

Nato kept the Russians out, but hardly did a thing to mitigate inner-European conflicts. The EU did.

• Like 1

It is just as undemocratic as Westminster deciding a policy for all of Britain. After all what you got there are elected representatives. Now, if you don't like Westminster to decide heed the Scots) they want to quit Britain but remain in the EU... go figure). Or the Basques or the Catalonians or the Bavarians.

My reckoning is that most of the Scottish people want to stay in the UK but leave the EU.

Nato kept the Russians out, but hardly did a thing to mitigate inner-European conflicts. The EU did.

I'll say again: The EU has done NOTHING for peace in Europe.

If anything, its unpopular and undemocratic policies are causing much violence and conflict on the streets of cities such as Athens and Madrid.

I'll say again: The EU has done NOTHING for peace in Europe.

If anything, its unpopular and undemocratic policies are causing much violence and conflict on the streets of cities such as Athens and Madrid.

A untruth repeated does not convert it into truth. That Germany and France pull on the same rope has done more for the peace in Europe than any Army ever could. And that is just one aspect of it.

• Like 2

A untruth repeated does not convert it into truth. That Germany and France pull on the same rope has done more for the peace in Europe than any Army ever could. And that is just one aspect of it.

... thereby accomplishing by means of economic extortion what they didn't manage to do by the sword, perhaps? Well, i suppose extortion is better than war, but wasn't it rather the presence of the USSR and Eastern Bloc on one side and NATO on the other that maintained peace for 40 years, and the EU has only come along and offered the benefits of membership once countries such as Yugoslavia had stopped figthing; it was hardly as if it was the EU that stopped Milosevic, was it?

Loving the sour grapes from the anti EU brigade. Bring it people! It brightens my day that you are all so needled by this fantastic and worthy decision by the Nobel committee.

From the ruins and ashes of the second world war arose peace and co-operation. Thanks to the Glorious European Union.

So do you really think that it was the EU that brought stability to Europe after 1945, particularly since it did not actually become as powerful as it is now until at least the 1970s, or is the Stalinist rhetoric merely an amusing exercise in irony?

So do you really think that it was the EU that brought stability to Europe after 1945, particularly since it did not actually become as powerful as it is now until at least the 1970s, or is the Stalinist rhetoric merely an amusing exercise in irony?

Stalinist Rhetoric?

ROTF!!!

But as to the Glorious European Union and this well deserved Nobel Peace prize, I can't say it better than the Nobel Committee in non-EU Norway said it themselves:

From the official Nobel prize website: http://www.nobelprize.org/

"The Nobel Peace Prize for 2012

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2012 is to be awarded to the European Union (EU). The union and its forerunners have for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe.

In the inter-war years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee made several awards to persons who were seeking reconciliation between Germany and France. Since 1945, that reconciliation has become a reality. The dreadful suffering in World War II demonstrated the need for a new Europe. Over a seventy-year period, Germany and France had fought three wars. Today war between Germany and France is unthinkable. This shows how, through well-aimed efforts and by building up mutual confidence, historical enemies can become close partners.

In the 1980s, Greece, Spain and Portugal joined the EU. The introduction of democracy was a condition for their membership. The fall of the Berlin Wall made EU membership possible for several Central and Eastern European countries, thereby opening a new era in European history. The division between East and West has to a large extent been brought to an end; democracy has been strengthened; many ethnically-based national conflicts have been settled.

The admission of Croatia as a member next year, the opening of membership negotiations with Montenegro, and the granting of candidate status to Serbia all strengthen the process of reconciliation in the Balkans. In the past decade, the possibility of EU membership for Turkey has also advanced democracy and human rights in that country.

The EU is currently undergoing grave economic difficulties and considerable social unrest. The Norwegian Nobel Committee wishes to focus on what it sees as the EU's most important result: the successful struggle for peace and reconciliation and for democracy and human rights. The stabilizing part played by the EU has helped to transform most of Europe from a continent of war to a continent of peace.

The work of the EU represents "fraternity between nations", and amounts to a form of the "peace congresses" to which Alfred Nobel refers as criteria for the Peace Prize in his 1895 will.

Oslo, 12 October 2012"

Edited by Atlantia

Congratulations, Europe, on winning the Nobel Peace Price

To all my European friends -- from Portugal to Germany to Finland, and from Bulgaria to Slovenia to Ireland -- I'd just like to say: Nice job!

Who could possibly be more deserving of a peace prize? When your grandparents were kids, Europe had been wracked by 500 years of virtually uninterrupted warfare. Today, Europeans are mocked for their pacifistic ways. Wow. What a transformation.

In my 2009 book "Travel as a Political Act," I wrote:

For the EU's founders, money took a backseat to their primary motivation: peace. Even the biggest Euroskeptic recognizes that, in weaving together the economies of former enemies like France and Germany, everyone has become so interconnected that Europe will never again suffer devastation from a major war as they did twice in the last century. The French and the Germans still don't agree on most things. But now they've become too financially interdependent to take up arms over their differences. Minimizing the possibility of an intra-European war is the triumph of the EU.

When boots do hit the ground in a war, Europeans believe it's because they have failed to prevent it. They prefer endless diplomacy to once-in-a-while war. Europe's reluctance to go to war frustrates some Americans. I believe their relative pacifism is because Europeans know the reality of war, while most Americans do not. Of course, if you have a loved one who has fought or died in Iraq, Afghanistan, or Vietnam, you know what a war is. But as a society, the U.S. can't remember actually hosting a war. Europeans have told me that they believe Americans were more willing to use cluster bombs and napalm to pacify Fallujah because in the age of modern warfare, no American city has ever been wiped from existence like Coventry, Dresden, Rotterdam, or Warsaw. It's easier to feel detached when a war is something you watch on the nightly news, rather than something that killed your grandfather or destroyed your hometown.

http://www.chicagotr...0,354743.column

Edited by Render

It is NATO - fundly mainly by American and British taxpayers - which has kept the peace in Europe for the last 60 years.

The EU has actually been remarkably inept at keeping the peace in Europe. What did it do during the break-up of Yugoslavia, apart from stand back and watch the Srebenica massacre?

As protesters dressed as Nazis riot in an Athens ruled by Brussels stooges, giving the Nobel Peace Prize to the EU is beyond satire: http://www.dailymail...-EU-satire.html

article-2217013-156F4AF6000005DC-355_634x426.jpg

When watching the news of the protest in Greece, - by the visit of german chancellor merkle i thought the image above of the people protesting in Nazi uniforms and Swastikas was damaging to the vision of a United Europe, has the situation within the EU got to the stage were people have lost their senses and feel the need to protest in such a way.

The Glorious European Union as referred to by a member on here in sheer desperation to convince others including themselves the EU is working, yet no sign of improvement on rising unemployment across the EU, deepening economic crisis in Spain Greece Portugal, etc but dont fear 'they have a noble peace prize' so all is well. - truly makes me laugh. shows how desperate the situation as become when being awarded such as the noble prize is held as the pinnacle.

Edited by stevewinn

When watching the news of the protest in Greece, - by the visit of german chancellor merkle i thought the image above of the people protesting in Nazi uniforms and Swastikas was damaging to the vision of a United Europe, has the situation within the EU got to the stage were people have lost their senses and feel the need to protest in such a way.

The Glorious European Union as referred to by a member on here in sheer desperation to convince others including themselves the EU is working, yet no sign of improvement on rising unemployment across the EU, deepening economic crisis in Spain Greece Portugal, etc but dont fear 'they have a noble peace prize' so all is well. - truly makes me laugh. shows how desperate the situation as become when being awarded such as the noble prize is held as the pinnacle.

LOL, what DO those sour grapes taste like?

Bit bitter are they?

Hmmm, lap it up! ;)

LOL, what DO those sour grapes taste like?

Bit bitter are they?

Hmmm, lap it up! ;)

sour grapes! explain?

I'm sure you can figure it out.

;)

no i cannot that is why i've asked you to explain.

Bit odd, but I can kind of see it. The EU has managed to keep the peace in Europe for quite a long time with no major European wars in the making. Though I get the feeling they couldn't decide on a winner and had the EU as a backup plan if this ever happened.

Bit odd, but I can kind of see it. The EU has managed to keep the peace in Europe for quite a long time with no major European wars in the making. Though I get the feeling they couldn't decide on a winner and had the EU as a backup plan if this ever happened.

that is very possible.