Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeologists find Bulgarian 'vampires'

Still Waters

If you thought vampires were simply the stuff of myth and legend - and perhaps the odd teen horror film - think again.

Archaeologists in Bulgaria have unearthed two skeletons from the Middle Ages pierced through the chest with iron rods to keep them from turning into the undead.

They are the latest in a succession of finds across western and central Europe which shed new light on just how seriously people took the threat of vampires and how those beliefs transformed into the modern myth.

http://www.dailymail...ged-chests.html

• Like 1

That'll teach 'em to buy their funerals at 'Poundland'!

• Like 1

Oh please don't give the vampire kids more to cling on to ;)

Exactly jeff.

Much fiction stems from fact: I love the beauty and creativity of the human brain

These were vampires as Salem had witches.... LOL

It's better just to cremate them in order to prevent epidemics of vampires and zombies. LOL.

Of course, in some cultures the vampire is not really a physical being at all but more like some kind of ghost or spirit.

I still think that the vampire myth got started by observing rabies victims...

A lot of the 'symptoms' of vampirism match the symptoms of advanced rabies...

perhaps they should test these bodies for rabies...

Better safe then sorry is probably what they were thinking back then.

Those bodies weren't slayed for they are not vampires yet,they were just stabbed in the heart to prevent them from turning into vampires.

why are u guys talking about poundland?

I cannot relate as well lol.

Edited by nakajima01

It's impossible to test skeletal remains for rabies. In order to test for rabies, a piece of brain tissue has to be tested.

It's impossible to test skeletal remains for rabies. In order to test for rabies, a piece of brain tissue has to be tested.

Oops! I knew that... Doh!!!

• Like 1

I think it is interesting that most 'scholars' believe that the vampire craze didn't really begin until Bram Stoker's book. These people seem pretty "crazed" about it. Where did THEY get it from? Ya know..

I wonder if they found any concrete like glittering skin. (Think Twilight) :innocent:

You appear to be forgetting something. If you pull the stake out they'll come back to life. Therefore you can check the brain tissue.

Yes that is why seperating head from body was also common. It also the most effective way.

I think it is interesting that most 'scholars' believe that the vampire craze didn't really begin until Bram Stoker's book. These people seem pretty "crazed" about it. Where did THEY get it from? Ya know..

One theory is that the legends arose from the misunderstanding of the symptoms of Porphyria - anemia, sensitivity to sunlight and periodic insanity. Anemia victims sometimes resorted to drinking the blood of animals in an attempted cure.

(Ealdwita snippet) .... King George III is thought to have been a porphyria sufferer, (hence the 'madness' tag).

You appear to be forgetting something. If you pull the stake out they'll come back to life. Therefore you can check the brain tissue.

They were staked in order to NOT turn into Vampires. If they hadn't turned before being staked, removing it wouldn't do anything...

They were staked in order to NOT turn into Vampires. If they hadn't turned before being staked, removing it wouldn't do anything...

Unless they were infected as vampires whilst in the grave as the people that buried them obviously believed possible... :w00t:

A thing they used to do in eastern europe was to roll the corpse up tightly in a long rug, fasten it with hundreds of knotted strings and bury it head first at a cross roads. The cross roads represented the crusifix, the rug was thought to be houdini proof, in old lore a vampire would have to undo all knots before it could move on, and lastly they thought that if buried upside down it would dig downwards instead of up.

I'd have just put it through a meat grinder and fed it to the pigs, but hey

• Like 1

Unless they were infected as vampires whilst in the grave as the people that buried them obviously believed possible... :w00t:

A thing they used to do in eastern europe was to roll the corpse up tightly in a long rug, fasten it with hundreds of knotted strings and bury it head first at a cross roads. The cross roads represented the crusifix, the rug was thought to be houdini proof, in old lore a vampire would have to undo all knots before it could move on, and lastly they thought that if buried upside down it would dig downwards instead of up.

I'd have just put it through a meat grinder and fed it to the pigs, but hey

Undead vampiric pigs we don't need....

• Like 1

Undead vampiric pigs we don't need....

Pigs may fly - all else becomes plausable

• Like 1