Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

107 Children killed in Chicago

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

It looks like you got it backwards; Latin America has a lot of guns, so I presume not much regulation.  The really low murder rates in Japan and Singapore and Western Europe, with really strong gun laws, reinforce the idea that gun laws reduce murders.  Vietnam doesn't do too badly either for a developing country.

#17    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,679 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I noticed that too Rafterman, that half of the list was 18 or 19 year olds. Those would be considered adults rather than kids, right? I mean, if they had pulled the trigger they would have been considered an adult, I'm not sure why they are considered child/youth because they were the victim.
It would be interesting to see the same list with the ages of the shooters along with it.
And just a random observation- looking at the hood names, I'm willing to bet most of those shootings were gang related. I was not surprised to see Englewood a lot.

#18    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 February 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Having a gun free city while the rest of the country have guns, is a pointless exercise

Having a gun free country with borders so porous that any number of illegal things are smuggled in daily is a pointless exercise also.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,026 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostBama13, on 06 February 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

Having a gun free country with borders so porous that any number of illegal things are smuggled in daily is a pointless exercise also.

Problem with that is that most weapons are smuggled in the other direction.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,329 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Attached Files

RESIDENT TROLL.

#21    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,679 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I think gangs should be pointed out when speaking of Chicago. Reading through a lot of this, I kind of can't help but think on when it was Mob rule in Chicago.

Quite a bit of the homicide rate comes from gang violence. Chicago has a ton of factions, some estimates are in the 100's. It's estimated that up to 80% of 2012 homicides are gang on gang or otherwise gang associated violence. It's also been estimated that at least 100 of the 2012 death toll were people affiliated with the Gangster Disciples, one of the biggest gangs in the area. It's been suggested that currently, Chicago has the highest gang population in the U.S., but I really couldn't find good data to back that up.

#22    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,329 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

law enforcment agencys nationwide, say 80% of all crimes is gang related.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#23    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,194 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostBama13, on 06 February 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

I agree

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 06 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#24    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,270 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Murder is against the law.  Maybe we need more murder laws.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#25    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,654 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostMichelle, on 06 February 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

It makes me sick the number of children that are caught in the crossfire of gang shootouts. I don't know how these gang members keep getting out of jail time after time. Something is seriously wrong with our legal system. The problem is nobody will talk about the elephant in the room.
I would imagine many of these children are gang members.  (correct me if i am wrong)

But where are the parents of all these kids? do i dare ask.....................is it a "culture" thing?  cos here in the Uk it is.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#26    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,329 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 February 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

I would imagine many of these children are gang members.  (correct me if i am wrong)

But where are the parents of all these kids? do i dare ask.....................is it a "culture" thing?  cos here in the Uk it is.
don't know exact number, but yes it is safe to assume some number of them are gang members. and their parents, lol, it is a culture thing, they don't care much, most of them don't know who their father is, hell, most of their mothers don't know that either, but no matter what their kids do, they are angels, and good kids.every time some gangster, or drug dealer is shot, they are on tv crying how their innocent baby got murdered, and city is at fault for not protecting them, schools are at fault for not raising them right, (it is common belief, that schools are responcible in raising THEIR kids). so yea, there is a huge elephant in the room that politicians ignore, and honestly, they can't do much about, with this political correctnes bull crap.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#27    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,654 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postaztek, on 06 February 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

don't know exact number, but yes it is safe to assume some number of them are gang members. and their parents, lol, it is a culture thing, they don't care much, most of them don't know who their father is, hell, most of their mothers don't know that either, but no matter what their kids do, they are angels, and good kids.every time some gangster, or drug dealer is shot, they are on tv crying how their innocent baby got murdered, and city is at fault for not protecting them, schools are at fault for not raising them right, (it is common belief, that schools are responcible in raising THEIR kids). so yea, there is a huge elephant in the room that politicians ignore, and honestly, they can't do much about, with this political correctnes bull crap.
Sound like here. Seems the political correct bull crap is not limited to just Europe. Its always somebody elses fault!!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#28    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,194 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 February 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Its always somebody elses fault!!!

Famous line, usually uttered by my brother, hubby and mother in law ..!!

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#29    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,271 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 February 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Or, like in the case of the murder of the young girl who was in Obama's inauguration parade, she was hanging out with gang members and got caught in the crossfire.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#30    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,329 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

<p>

View PostRafterman, on 06 February 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

Or, like in the case of the murder of the young girl who was in Obama's inauguration parade, she was hanging out with gang members and got caught in the crossfire.
yes, it could be like that, i'm sure some of them innocent victims cought in cross fire. however when you play with fire eventualy you'll get burned, same goes for hanging out with gang members.

Edited by aztek, 06 February 2013 - 09:12 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users